Scotland Yard

Film, stage, music, books and so on...
GaryA
405 lines

Scotland Yard

Post by GaryA »

Just ordered this long awaited title released today fron Network. Priced at £39.82.

It's £44.99 at Amazon!

This has been on my wanted list for many years.

Juswuh
D-MAC

Re: Scotland Yard

Post by Juswuh »

I pre-ordered from Amazon and am expecting delivery today - free with Amazon Prime, so not that much more expensive. There's a complete episode posted to watch on Network's new site, and that looks fabulous, definitely one to bin the bootlegs for.

Mr_Wolf
Potentate in Perpetuity

PR: Scotland Yard [Network]

Post by Mr_Wolf »

Scotland Yard was perhaps the best-known series to emerge from Anglo-Amalgamated’s output of crime drama. Shot as cinema support features at the company’s Merton Park Studios in South Wimbledon, these half-hour thrillers – based on real-life cases from the vaults of London’s Metropolitan Police headquarters – were a successful regular feature in cinemas over nearly a decade from the early 1950s onwards.

Like sister series Scales of Justice (also available from Network), Scotland Yard is introduced by celebrated writer and criminologist Edgar Lustgarten and presents case after intriguing case, with many solved onscreen by the redoubtable Inspector Duggan (played by Australian-born Russell Napier). This set comprises all 39 films, also featuring appearances by Harry H. Corbett, Peter Bowles, John Le Mesurier, Peter Arne and Robert Raglan, among many others.

http://networkonair.com/shop/1652-scotl ... eries.html

Stop quoting the law. We have swords.

GaryA
405 lines

Post by GaryA »

Juswuh wrote: There's a complete episode posted to watch on Network's new site, and that looks fabulous, definitely one to bin the bootlegs for.
I had a look a couple of days ago and I have to agree it looks terrific.

As you are (fingers crossed) receiving your copy today, first impressions would be most welcome.

Juswuh
D-MAC

Post by Juswuh »

Just had a very quick look! Most of the episodes are shown in 4:3, going to widescreen on Disc Six with "The Ghost Train Murder" from 1959. The ones I checked out all look superb.

Some people will also be pleased to hear that Studio Canal have got a new ident with no twittering.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

Juswuh wrote:Just had a very quick look! Most of the episodes are shown in 4:3, going to widescreen on Disc Six with "The Ghost Train Murder" from 1959. The ones I checked out all look superb.

Some people will also be pleased to hear that Studio Canal have got a new ident with no twittering.
So were the earlier ones screened 4:3, or do I have to mask them at this end? The similar Edgar Wallace series were already masked for widescreen.

Perhaps there was a change of policy during the re-mastering.

Juswuh
D-MAC

Post by Juswuh »

I presume they're formatted as they were seen in the cinema. Having watched four episodes tonight (with much enjoyment!), the previously "missing" episode "Wall Of Death" looks a bit rough compared to the others.

On Disc Seven there's a gallery of original posters (from which the DVD cover art is taken), which is entertaining for their rather exaggerated emphasis on thrills and action.

Juswuh
D-MAC

Post by Juswuh »

There's distorted sound on the episode "The Dark Stairway" - the dialogue's quite audible, but the music gets very crackly. Picture's a bit higher contrast than other episodes, too, but fine (and this is one of the series' most visually adventurous episodes).