PR: Quiet Weekend [Network]

Film, stage, music, books and so on...
Mr_Wolf
Potentate in Perpetuity

PR: Quiet Weekend [Network]

Post by Mr_Wolf »

An invitation to a country retreat unleashes hidden passions in this witty adaptation of Ester McCracken’s famous wartime stage comedy. Billed "The Film of the Play that Beat the Blitz!", Quiet Weekend reunites Silent Dust's Derek Farr with Marjorie Fielding and Frank Cellier, reprising their roles from the 1941 hit Quiet Wedding; released in 1946, it is featured here in a brand-new digital transfer with its as-exhibited theatrical aspect ratio.

Arthur and Mildred Royd invite some friends for a quiet weekend in the country. Among the guests is a middle-aged magistrate too shy to propose to the woman he loves, and young Miranda – not too shy at all to show her affections for distant cousin Denys Royd, ten years her senior. The arrival of an abrasive London sophisticate puts the cat among the pigeons, but worse is to come when Arthur and the magistrate find their fishing trip turning into a salmon-poaching spree…

http://networkonair.com/shop/2210-quiet ... 35547.html

Stop quoting the law. We have swords.

DavidAbsalom
405 lines

Re: PR: Quiet Weekend [Network]

Post by DavidAbsalom »

Nice, but I wish someone would release Quiet Wedding which seems to have vanished.

VintageFan
405 lines

Post by VintageFan »

Yes,I've long wondered about Quiet Wedding. It's held in very regard in some critical circles,but does not appear to have ever had a commercial release. Network are releasing the sequel and the remake( Happy is the Bride ),but no sign of the original. I seem to recall it being shown on Channel 4 in the '80s,but have no recollection of any TV screenings since.

Juswuh
D-MAC

Post by Juswuh »

VintageFan wrote:I seem to recall it being shown on Channel 4 in the '80s
In 1986, on the day of the Andrew/Sarah royal wedding...

JWG
D-MAC

Post by JWG »

Brings to mind,for me at least,the Dear Ruth/Dear Wife/Dear Brat series from the U.S.

VintageFan
405 lines

Post by VintageFan »

Juswuh wrote:
VintageFan wrote:I seem to recall it being shown on Channel 4 in the '80s
In 1986, on the day of the Andrew/Sarah royal wedding...
I didn't remember that. Thanks for the info.