PR: 80,000 Suspects [Network]

Film, stage, music, books and so on...
Mr_Wolf
Potentate in Perpetuity

PR: 80,000 Suspects [Network]

Post by Mr_Wolf »

Image Image

Richard Johnson and Claire Bloom, multi-award-winning stars of The Haunting, are reunited in this powerful romantic drama set against the backdrop of a smallpox epidemic in the city of Bath. One of BAFTA-winning director Val Guest's most memorable films, 80,000 Suspects is presented here in a brand-new High Definition transfer from the original film elements, in its as-exhibited theatrical aspect ratio.

Dr Steven Monk suspects smallpox when he is asked to examine a patient with unusual symptoms. The diagnosis is quickly confirmed and the authorities mobilise to try to contain the outbreak, with Monk working tirelessly to prevent an epidemic. With his marriage on the verge of collapse, however, this personal crisis threatens to overshadow his vital work as the deadly disease moves ever closer to those he loves…

SPECIAL FEATURES:
[] Image gallery
[] Promotional material PDFs

80,000 Suspects

Stop quoting the law. We have swords.

Ross
D-MAC

Re: PR: 80,000 Suspects [Network]

Post by Ross »

YIPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

JWG
D-MAC

Post by JWG »

I hadn't heard of this one.A similar theme to Panic in the Streets,which seemed to be on TV quite often.

stanbutler
405 lines

Post by stanbutler »

Lovely, I've wanted to see this for years.

Richard A
625 lines

Post by Richard A »

Location shooting in Bath, much of it during the Winter of '62/'63 + throw in a bumper cast... sounds like a definite purchase for me.

JWG
D-MAC

Post by JWG »

I'm sure Panic in Bath would have been a better title...

ctraynor
D-MAC

Post by ctraynor »

Another one from Val Guest, made not very long after Day the Earth Caught Fire. That's well worth it on blu-ray. Apart from the film, the extras are numerous and good. 80,000 Suspects is one I've always meant to catch. It's a pity the extras on it are minimal though but I suppose it didn't build up a cult reputation like Day...

Westcountry
405 lines

Post by Westcountry »

Bruce Lewis and Guy Thomas of TWW appear uncredited in media briefing and News report scenes,
along with TWW cameras in shot.
Is there no existing "on location" type news report in the ITV/ITN archive?

Ross
D-MAC

Post by Ross »

Watch out, too, for Val Guest's old colleague Graham Moffat. He was running a pub in Bath at the time of filming and Guest got him to make a cameo.

This, along with The Day the Earth Caught Fire, Jigsaw, and Hell is a City, is part of a small body of work Guest made at the time that took a genre subject, set it in a recognisable English city - making the location a star in itself - and filmed it in quite a realistic way using black and white film and a Scope ratio.

I think all four are absolute masterpieces.

This one was shot during the big freeze of 1963 and Guest took full advantage of the snow, making it part of the film.

Westengland
625 lines

Post by Westengland »

Ross: you could add the colour The Beauty Jungle to the monochrome VG quartet you mention - but:
Ross wrote:I think all four are absolute masterpieces
"absolute masterpieces"- really?

[align=justify]The five, for me: great (outside London, inner and outer) locations, good location shooting (especially compared to contemporary UK films ) but let down by poor stories (i.e. good plots poorly told) and misused cast (eg imbalance between leads such as Jack Warner, Stanley Baker and Richard Johnson, supports and bit players).[/align]

[align=justify]Westcountry: Yeah, there may be stuff from TWW and BBC West in the archives that has survived if it is film as well as possibly some written records of new reports. There was coverage in the local newspapers - Bath Chronicle [Bath], Western Daily Press [Bristol] and Evening Post [Bristol] - of the filming and the film when released, including criticism of the "locals" in the film speaking with "cockney" (sic) accents rather than Bath ones (it would have been quite possible for the accent to be an understandable-to-others West England one). There are also "Remember films made in Bath" features through the years that mention it.[/align]

[align=justify]ETS is important for its record of Bath at a particularly critical time in its architectural history, something that has been recognised for some years now. There may be an organised group who will be able to describe every location in the film very quickly when it's available but I'm not in the loop for that kind of research in Bath so can't say who they would be.[/align]
Expect trouble if you know more than they do.

Ross
D-MAC

Post by Ross »

The key words in that sentence were "I think".

I think they're as good as films get and I'd rate 80,000 Suspects as my favourite film. But, as with all opinions on films, it's a purely subjective view.

Not sure what you mean by "good plots poorly told" but needless to say I don't share your opinion on the films. :-)

Westcountry
405 lines

Post by Westcountry »

With TWW participation in filming I would guess some sort of news feature would have been petty much a cert,
so if anything does still exist in the archives it'd make great extras.