PR: The Phantom Light [Network]

Film, stage, music, books and so on...
Mr_Wolf
Potentate in Perpetuity

PR: The Phantom Light [Network]

Post by Mr_Wolf »

A witty, spooky and fabulously atmospheric comedy-thriller, The Phantom Light was an early feature from British film legend Michael Powell. With leading roles for the multi-talented Binnie Hale and endlessly popular character player Gordon Harker, this classic Gainsborough feature is presented here in a transfer from original film elements, in its as-exhibited theatrical aspect ratio.

Standing on a lonely stretch of the Welsh coast, the North Stack Lighthouse has an unhappy notoriety: its light sometimes fails, more than one ship has been wrecked and lighthouse keepers have been driven insane. When new keeper Sam Higgins arrives, he scoffs at locals' tales of a 'haunted' light that appears where a former keeper was murdered. But then he finds that his light been put out, and a cliff-top beacon is luring a ship to its doom… can he prevent another disaster?

SPECIAL FEATURE: Image gallery

http://networkonair.com/shop/2280-phant ... 41142.html

Stop quoting the law. We have swords.

Richard A
625 lines

Re: PR: The Phantom Light [Network]

Post by Richard A »

I am substantially over the moon (on the way to Mars) about this, as this is one of my favourite 30s films. Thus far, I believe, it's only been on R2 DVD in France.

Footage of a Ffestiniog Railway passenger train before preservation days, including the famous Tan-y-Bwlch station mistress in Welsh national costume (though played in this case by an actress); top quality Gordon Harker action, including the immortal line, after everyone that he's been introduced to in the pub turn out to be called Owen, "Owin', owin', owin', ain't anyone payin'!" (I do have a weak sense of humour); Binnie Hale's legs; a brilliant deadpan turn from Herbert Lomas; a lot of corny comedy thriller suspense, well managed by Powell - what more could anyone ask for?

stanbutler
405 lines

Post by stanbutler »

A brilliant film with bags of atmos, a lighthouse, and Gordon Harker. What more could you want?

JWG
D-MAC

Post by JWG »

Reminds me of Arthur Askey's Backroom Boy,which is a favourite film.I've only seen PL once.

stanbutler
405 lines

Post by stanbutler »

JWG wrote:Reminds me of Arthur Askey's Backroom Boy,which is a favourite film.I've only seen PL once.
Yes, Backroom Boy with a considerably less irritating lead! :)

rondo veneziano
405 lines

Post by rondo veneziano »

Richard A wrote:I am substantially over the moon (on the way to Mars) about this, as this is one of my favourite 30s films. Thus far, I believe, it's only been on R2 DVD in France.

Footage of a Ffestiniog Railway passenger train before preservation days, including the famous Tan-y-Bwlch station mistress in Welsh national costume (though played in this case by an actress); top quality Gordon Harker action, including the immortal line, after everyone that he's been introduced to in the pub turn out to be called Owen, "Owin', owin', owin', ain't anyone payin'!" (I do have a weak sense of humour); Binnie Hale's legs; a brilliant deadpan turn from Herbert Lomas; a lot of corny comedy thriller suspense, well managed by Powell - what more could anyone ask for?
There's a 2008 R1 release from MPI as well, with two other films Red Ensign (1934) with Leslie Banks and The Upturned Glass (1947) with James Mason. All good films in an interesting combo release, I have it but hope Network's will have the better picture.

Richard A
625 lines

Post by Richard A »

I watched this last night. Always enjoyable, it's an amusing romp with a slight unevenness which adds to its charm.

The transfer doesn't come across as being particularly sharp, indeed it looked more like a transfer from a broadcast archive copy than from the original film elements but still perfectly decent.

But... oh, Network!... an autoplay trailer reel on loading? Is this the shape of things to come? Thankfully, it was easily skipped with a press of the menu button (unlike Soda Pictures releases for example).

Ross
D-MAC

Post by Ross »

Yes, those forced trailers have been on a few of the latest discs. Bloody annoying they are, too.

Richard A
625 lines

Post by Richard A »

Richard A wrote:... top quality Gordon Harker action, including the immortal line, after everyone that he's been introduced to in the pub turn out to be called Owen, "Owin', owin', owin', ain't anyone payin'!" ...
BTW, it's "ain't anybody payin'!" (Just in the interests of accuracy.)