"I'm Sorry, I'll Read That Again - Again!"

Film, stage, music, books and so on...
AndrewP
625 lines

"I'm Sorry, I'll Read That Again - Again!"

Post by AndrewP »

My wife and I had the great pleasure of seeing the Chipping Norton show last night, and the experience of being able to see the full force of classic "ISIRTA" material being performed live on stage by a tremendous cast including two of the original line-up is something truly special for me which I shall never, ever forget. In addition, last night the audience also included both Humphrey Barclay and Lizzie Evans.

This really is a superb re-staging, and for me there were some of my very favourite routines, gags and sketches (notably the start of "Professor Prune and the Electric Time Trousers"). Also there was one point where some material which I'd been convinced would never see the light of the day again for being too controversial in the current climate *did* in fact make a brief appearance. All in all, an extremely potent mix of material, with the songs in particular standing up superbly well and benefiting from live accompaniment and rousing, energetic renditions.

The new cast have a perfect grasp on how the humour and pace of the original show worked, and threw themselves into the gags and routines with amazing verve, making the whole experience an utter delight. Of the original cast, seeing live a "John and Mary" sketch featuring Jo Kendall and an appearance of Arnold P Totteridge in the form of Graeme Garden was absolute bliss!

There's so much to enjoy in this show and it's done with such attention to detail and affection for the unique style of the original that it was impossible not to be captivated by it. Julie and I thoroughly enjoyed the performance and it was well worth the long journey over the beautiful hamlet of Chipping Norton (whose forthcoming literary festival is also offering some fascinating speakers).

If you have a love for classic radio comedy, I don't think you'll want to miss this experience. So check out a performance that sorts you, sign up while there are still tickets (the amazing venue of the Theatre at Chipping Norton appeared to be booked solid last night) ... and get along to cheer Spot the Dog and boo all your favourite contrived puns!

Thank you to all involved in one of the most special and enjoyable evening's entertainments that I can remember.

All the best

Andrew

https://www.facebook.com/OffstageTheatreGroup/?fref=nf

Brock
HD

Re: "I'm Sorry, I'll Read That Again - Again!"

Post by Brock »

Didn't know anything about this. Who are the new cast? Of the original cast, all are still alive except David Hatch, so it might be possible to stage an actual reunion.

AndrewP
625 lines

Post by AndrewP »

It's a new cast. William KV Browne, Hannah Boydell, David Clarke, Ben Perkins, Barnaby Eaton-Jones; on the first night it was a slightly different line-up to usual, without David and with Gaz Ricketts. And all very good as well! :)

All the best

Andrew

AndrewP
625 lines

Post by AndrewP »

Article about the tour can be found here at the WeAreCult website:

WeAreCult

All the best

Andrew

Gary C
405 lines

Post by Gary C »

....do we know if they are still on tour, or intend to be again (again)? I'd love to take one of my (now retired) BBC Transcription colleagues who went to a ton of the original recordings (lucky bugger) at the Playhouse and who also supplied the warm-up audio when they did the 3 hour programme on Radio 4 Extra a few years ago.

AndrewP
625 lines

Post by AndrewP »

Hi Gary :)
Gary C wrote:....do we know if they are still on tour, or intend to be again (again)? I'd love to take one of my (now retired) BBC Transcription colleagues who went to a ton of the original recordings (lucky bugger) at the Playhouse and who also supplied the warm-up audio when they did the 3 hour programme on Radio 4 Extra a few years ago.
In haste ... hope all is well ...

Christmas show details here:

https://www.facebook.com/OffstageTheatreGroup/?fref=nf

All the best

Andrew

AndrewP
625 lines

Post by AndrewP »

Got along to the Christmas Wonder Show in Cheltenham on Friday. A brilliant night out with an audience that appreciated true Angus Prune humour. Some real gems like "One Man Band" (one of Bill's songs that I've always been fond of), the "Theatre Bar" critic sketch, the "Country Pub" restaurant sketch and also old favourites like "Jack the Ripper" and "Dr Zhivago" ("When You Wish Upon A Czar"). Very much hope that this energetic and engaging revival of this series can find even larger audiences in the future.

All the best

Andrew

AndrewP
625 lines

Post by AndrewP »

Here's the performance - with Tim, Graeme and Bill - from the Slapstick! Festival in January 2020. Hope you enjoy it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2m2GnvhtqJI

All the best

Andrew