Rare Films

Film, stage, music, books and so on...
Mark
Committee

Rare Films

Post by Mark »

Noticed a great favourite of mine turned up Friday afternoon on Talking Pictures TV, didn't see it, but it's on again 6pm Sunday.

"Treasure Hunt", with JImmy Edwards and Martita Hunt, it may well have been on at some point over the years, but I'm sure I haven't seen it since those rainy Sunday Afternoons, a lifetime ago.

Are there any others that seemed to have vanished without trace..?, I can think of the Arthur Askey film "Ramsbottom Rides Again", which I would like to see, and another AWOL feature that springs to mind is "Where's That Fire".
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

DavidAbsalom
405 lines

Re: Rare Films

Post by DavidAbsalom »

Quiet Wedding (1941) seems to have vanished without a trace.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

"Where's that Fire" is on DVD.

Spiny Norman
D-MAC

Post by Spiny Norman »

DavidAbsalom wrote:Quiet Wedding (1941) seems to have vanished without a trace.
Seems to be available, as is Ramsbottom?
Although I may be looking at bootlegs here, sometimes it's hard to tell, but I wouldn't pay money for that.
This is nøt å signåture.™

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Spiny Norman wrote:
Seems to be available, as is Ramsbottom?
Although I may be looking at bootlegs here, sometimes it's hard to tell, but I wouldn't pay money for that.
Both bootlegs, I'm afraid, wouldn't want to touch them myself.

Would love a "Treasure Hunt" DVD release, and also "Never Mind The Quality Feel The Width", which can't have been seen since the 80's, I would think.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

"Never Mind The Quality Feel The Width" is available from, I think, Network.
I certainly have a copy. Some missing, I believe.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Yes, I have that set of the TV episodes, but It was the feature film I was referring to, which is also very good.

One of the few Film adaptations of a TV comedy series yet to be released, would go very nicely with the TV series set.

VintageFan
405 lines

Post by VintageFan »

Glad I'm not the only one who has noticed that. It's a really well regarded movie. Halliwell lists it as one of the 1000 Greatest Movies Ever. But,I don't recall seeing it on television since the 1980s. Likewise,it doesn't appear to have had a commercial release of any sort. Interestingly,Network have released the sequel Quiet Weekend and the remake Happy is the Bride. But,no sign of the superior original.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

Mark wrote:Yes, I have that set of the TV episodes, but It was the feature film I was referring to, which is also very good.

One of the few Film adaptations of a TV comedy series yet to be released, would go very nicely with the TV series set.
Can't imagine a Film adaptation being 'very good'. Something to look out for.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

brigham wrote:
Mark wrote:Yes, I have that set of the TV episodes, but It was the feature film I was referring to, which is also very good.

Can't imagine a Film adaptation being 'very good'. Something to look out for.
Well, they did vary in quality, I suppose they could never reach the dizzy heights of the originals, but some were better than others.

My personal favourite was "Please Sir!", which I think really did do justice to the TV series, and at the other end "Rising Damp", still good, but lacked the atmosphere of the TV version.

"Never Mind" Is a good one, with a great cast including Yootha Joyce and Wendy King.

Brian F
D-MAC

Post by Brian F »

The main trouble with some of these spin off films is that they take the action out of the studio and loose the more intimate feeling of the series and the need for an expanded story-line. My favourite is "The Lovers".

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Yes, "The Lovers" is another one that works very well.

I may be in a minority, but I have always enjoyed the "Are You Being Served" film, based on the stage play, and one of the rare occasions a film version was almost entirely confined to the studios, I agree it does make a difference.