The Glory Days of Cult TV Fanzines - Is There Interest Still

Film, stage, music, books and so on...
cdnbob
625 lines

The Glory Days of Cult TV Fanzines - Is There Interest Still

Post by cdnbob »

Was thinking about this the other day... do any of you on the forum remember the days of Sci-Fi/Cult TV fanzines/magazines like: Timescreen, Action TV, DWB/Dreamwatch, The Frame, Cult TV, and Primetime/The Box? Or maybe you recall the recent CSO publication that ran for 3 issues, or perhaps you were a reader of Tellyvision?

I was wondering if this sort of magazine would still be of interest to readers. Is this something you’d purchase? Is this something you’d want to read? What would you expect from this sort of fanzine/magazine today? I’m interested in hearing what those of you on the forum think about this.

Mickey
625 lines

Re: The Glory Days of Cult TV Fanzines - Is There Interest S

Post by Mickey »

I adored "Cult TV". It was everything I wanted from a magazine. I mentioned it once on Outpost Gallifrey, saying how much I had loved it, and somebody who had used to work on it responded. He said that the reason it had tanked was the internet, which effectively replaced such magazines, because it was a source of fannish information that print media simply could not compete with. So sadly I would have to say that no, there is likely not enough interest still.

Having said that, "Doctor Who Magazine" still does very well. It does, of course, manage interviews and features that the internet cannot compete with. It also has a slight advantage over smaller fandoms! Magazines do have an advantage over the internet in some respects of course. You're more likely to find new things out, or discover new shows, because you're not just looking up stuff that you already like. But it really does seem that there aren't the numbers necessary to break even these days. A shame. I should have loved a few more editions of "Cult TV"!

Don Satchley
625 lines

Post by Don Satchley »

I too really enjoyed the few issues of Cult TV that were published. That said, I have bought little in the way of fanzines/magazines since.
Don

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

I would get any mags on TV, so I still have all the titles mentioned as well as mags like TV Zone, which was excellent early on for features on classic British Telefantasy shows , but later seemed to concentrate on American ones only.

I would love to see a dedicated mag to Archive TV, but it perhaps doesn't have the pull, or taken as seriously as Cinema.

On TV, quiz shows on the subject are always light-hearted ( even mocking) but CInema is treated with deadly serious reverence.

The one issue of Playback from Marvel was promising but got the chop, due to cut-backs.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

TVZone was the only mag I bought, but that was partly because DWM was passed to me in batches by a mate once he had read them so I didn't have to spend the money. I regret ditching all the TVZones as they were always an enjoyable read and would just go through my scanner these days. I do remember there being more US stuff as time went on and that was probably why I gave up buying it. I never bothered with fanzines - the few I read just didn't make me want to spend my money.

With so much information available on the web I am surprised that even DWM is still going strong - it must be one of those titles where people have bought it for so long they have forgotten how NOT to buy it. I fall into this category with Radio Times, so understand the mentality. With a complete run from 1923, it seems criminal to stop buying it now, even though the subscription copies stay in the plastic wrapper they arrive in.

I'm a great convert to digital media as well - I have been digitising my own magazines and book collection for nearly 20 years now and having all the information at my fingertips (almost) and in a much more compact space than physical copies has meant I can expand the collection to well beyond what I would have been able to before, but even then, I have subscribed to a couple of digital magazines only to let the subscriptions lapse after the first year - again it is the vast amount of information readily available on the web that makes them pretty pointless.

cdnbob
625 lines

Post by cdnbob »

Personally, I use to be a regular purchaser of Timescreen, Action TV, DWB/Dreamwatch, The Frame, and Cult TV. I thought they were all essential reading and I learned so much about archive TV from all of them.

As to the subject at hand... do you think the interest might be there if it was a free downloadable PDF magazine, or maybe made available on one of those online reading platforms?

I suppose on of the problems with producing a physical hardcopy nowadays is the postal cost. I know for example that postal costs are extremely high when mailing items from the UK to Canada/USA and vice versa. So I think in those terms that would be problematic for a physical magazine and stop readers from purchasing. But what if it was made available to purchase from somewhere like Lulu where issues are published on demand, and shipped from local spots in the UK, Canada, USA, etc.

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

If it is free, there will always be takers - it just depends on how much work you are willing to put into it just to give it away, and what you can offer that is new and not freely available elsewhere. An open PDF is going to be more readily accessible than having it on a platform that requires an app, but the platforms are designed to make life more difficult for people to simply cut and paste and pass off as their own work.

As for print on demand, that may be an option for a run of magazines, all neatly bound as a volume with one postage rate, but I think for a single magazine it will be prohibitively expensive. Even with the almost continual discount codes on Lulu, the postage rates generally tip me over my squeaking point for all casual purchases i.e. I have to know the authors work and be VERY interested in the title before I will buy. I am more inclined to spend on secondhand books via abe than I am on new via Lulu!

cdnbob
625 lines

Post by cdnbob »

It's been interesting reading everyone's take on the subject at hand. I guess in today's internet fandom there's no need for this sort of magazine, but what interest there is is more from a nostalgic point of view.

Jaz_Wiseman
405 lines

Post by Jaz_Wiseman »

As someone who produced a fanzine for many years, the internet really was the thing that killed TMA. My subscription list more than halved in one year and after years of putting my own money into it I just felt I couldn't justify it anymore. However, in the last year or so I have had a lot of people contacting me saying how much they missed it (some of whom had been those who had not re-subscribed) and a few months ago I did TMA28 as a print-on-demand style job. I basically had designed this nearly 10 years previous so went with what was there and people seemed to like it and many have asked for TMA29 (which I've just started on). Print-on-demand means the zines are more expensive but means that you can print in very small numbers. In the old days, I had to have a thousand magazines printed as that was the minimum the printer would do.

A few years back I ended up putting boxes and boxes of back issues in the recycling as I felt I'd exhausted all lines of sales (even at £1 each they were hardly moving) and that is something I don't want to do again. I think the demand is very small (between 100 and 150) so I'm being very careful about how many I print. I help administer the ITC page on Facebook and we have over 2000 members but less than 10% bought TMA28 and there are many fans who are happy just being able to watch the shows again on dvd - I don't begrudge them that and we all have different levels of interest.

My thing is I spent over 30 years collecting stuff and interviewing people and I'd rather share it all than horde it away and although I'm a graphic designer by trade, I'm old school and print for me is where I'm happy. I don't enjoy designing websites which is why I can't justify spending time doing a proper one for TMA.

cdnbob
625 lines

Post by cdnbob »

Jaz_Wiseman wrote: As someone who produced a fanzine for many years, the internet really was the thing that killed TMA. My subscription list more than halved in one year and after years of putting my own money into it I just felt I couldn't justify it anymore.{/quote]
I know what you mean Jaz. I've been producing zines since the late-80s.
Jaz_Wiseman wrote:However, in the last year or so I have had a lot of people contacting me saying how much they missed it (some of whom had been those who had not re-subscribed) and a few months ago I did TMA28 as a print-on-demand style job. I basically had designed this nearly 10 years previous so went with what was there and people seemed to like it and many have asked for TMA29 (which I've just started on). Print-on-demand means the zines are more expensive but means that you can print in very small numbers. In the old days, I had to have a thousand magazines printed as that was the minimum the printer would do.
Yes, we had the same thing with Whotopia. People had asked for a hardcopy version. We decided to go to print-on-demand too and we started printing a physical version as of Issue 30 (we quit publishing hardcopies several years previously as we were only selling 40 or 50 copies per issue.
Jaz_Wiseman wrote:A few years back I ended up putting boxes and boxes of back issues in the recycling as I felt I'd exhausted all lines of sales (even at £1 each they were hardly moving) and that is something I don't want to do again. I think the demand is very small (between 100 and 150) so I'm being very careful about how many I print. I help administer the ITC page on Facebook and we have over 2000 members but less than 10% bought TMA28 and there are many fans who are happy just being able to watch the shows again on dvd - I don't begrudge them that and we all have different levels of interest.
Been there, done that. I pulped a whole bunch of past Whotopia issues a few years back.
Jaz_Wiseman wrote:My thing is I spent over 30 years collecting stuff and interviewing people and I'd rather share it all than horde it away and although I'm a graphic designer by trade, I'm old school and print for me is where I'm happy. I don't enjoy designing websites which is why I can't justify spending time doing a proper one for TMA.
I know exactly what you're saying Jaz. I'm kind of in the same boat - I know web design to a point, but my HTML skills are very rusty.

I'm still toying with this idea and right now I'm leaning toward doing a one-off to test the market.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Actually, I think one of the big gaps in mags and books are the ITC series.

There are so many books on TV shows, now, but not the ITC ones, yes there are one or two of the Anderson series covered, "Thunderbirds", "Captain Scarlet", "UFO" and "Space 1999", but otherwise, one on "Randall And Hopkirk", a few on "The Prisoner" ( including a "Danger Man"/"Prisoner" book) but that's it.

There was the "ITC story" book, but where are the ones for individual series, ( surely Jaz would be best placed for one on "The Persuaders" ).

How about an ITC magazine, with interviews and features on the many series, that would be great.

On the Mag front, it's worth remembering there are two excellent ones covering "Who" and Anderson, 'Nothing At The End Of The Lane" , which largely concentrates on the classic series (DWM has Nu-Who covered) and for the Anderson shows, 'Andersonic', with lots of great interviews and info.

So two popular and thriving Mags that are well worth checking out.

Duncan
625 lines

Post by Duncan »

Whilst it’s true that Nothing at the end of the line is excellent, it only comes out once in a blue moon (worth the wait though) so it’s a bit of a push to describe it as thriving, as in “hungry for more?, well sorry but you’ll have to wait about 4 years”. It’s a labour of well researched love as opposed to a regular periodical.

As for the ITC series, I suspect the problem is that however enjoyable they were, most were basically fairly routine crime/detective shows sometimes with a bit of a twist. They were also somewhat production line eg Department S is akin to the Champions without the superpowers. If sufficient interest was there then the books would surely have been written.

The various shows were popular in their day but insuficiently popular to spawn a genuine cult, unlike the Supermarrionation shows and the Prisoner (although I find the raving and drooling re that to be off putting).

Then you’ve got perhaps the “ultimate” ITC show which ironically was of course nothing to do with ITC, and that’s The Avengers. Plenty of books available on that.

The real glory days of mags was 25 years or more ago, with the superb Timescreen and the provocative but hugely readable DWB. The internet and ageing of the enthusiasts has killed them off and we won’t see their like again.

Jaz_Wiseman
405 lines

Post by Jaz_Wiseman »

Mark wrote:Actually, I think one of the big gaps in mags and books are the ITC series.

There are so many books on TV shows, now, but not the ITC ones, yes there are one or two of the Anderson series covered, "Thunderbirds", "Captain Scarlet", "UFO" and "Space 1999", but otherwise, one on "Randall And Hopkirk", a few on "The Prisoner" ( including a "Danger Man"/"Prisoner" book) but that's it.

There was the "ITC story" book, but where are the ones for individual series, ( surely Jaz would be best placed for one on "The Persuaders" ).

How about an ITC magazine, with interviews and features on the many series, that would be great.

On the Mag front, it's worth remembering there are two excellent ones covering "Who" and Anderson, 'Nothing At The End Of The Lane" , which largely concentrates on the classic series (DWM has Nu-Who covered) and for the Anderson shows, 'Andersonic', with lots of great interviews and info.

So two popular and thriving Mags that are well worth checking out.
The loss of Action TV was a big one as Mike and I planned to feature on big ITC article per issue. Again it was a victim of the internet and between us we really tried hard with that mag to make it a success.

There have been a couple of Saint books too, Paul Simper's and my old friend Dick Fiddy with Tony Mechele. Ian Dickerson's The Saint on TV sadly wasn't printed in high enough numbers for many people to actually get a copy (a victim of Tim Hirst).

I have been trying to get a Persuaders! book off the ground for years and have even had three publishers very seriously interested but they all fall down at the negotiation stages with ITV who have sadly made such books financially impossible these days.

I have thought very seriously about an ITC magazine but there aren't that many people left alive who worked on the series and it's getting the balance right - I know fans of one series might not be so interested in other ITC series.

I am going to do another issue of TMA but after that I'm not sure. It's a LOT of work for 150 people who will buy it and for little or no financial return.

I'm working on a couple of ITC related things for 2018 but again I see these as only very small sellers. People just don't want to seem to buy things these days apart from dvds or blu-rays. That's fair enough and times are hard too.

Duncan
625 lines

Post by Duncan »

I remember picking up a copy of the Fiddy/Mechele Saint book, about the same time as I got Dave Rogers books on Dangerman/The Prisoner and his big Avengers one. Great reads for their time.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Fair point about "NATEOTL", it is understandably popular and it's rare appearance is to maintain the high quality of course.

Also some interesting points from Jaz, it's obviously a shame that ITV's high costs mean the heady days of the glossy softback ( ala' "Randall And Hopkirk") are perhaps gone, but there is always the 'unofficial' route.

MIWK publishing have come up with some great books, such as "Doomwatch", "Worzel Gummidge" and "Robin Of Sherwood", and Telos publishing with "Survivors" and "Blakes 7".

These are often text only, but that's fine, a story of production and episode guide would be most welcome, using Andrew P's 'facts and figures' style.

There is also LULU, (as Jaz has done with TMA reprints).

I do have one "Saint" book, it covered all the various incarnations, and although I don't usually bother with partworks ( due to the expense) I did get the "Danger Man"/"Prisoner" one, which was excellent, I think Andrew P was responsible for the text, covering each episode.

Duncan
625 lines

Post by Duncan »

Yes the miwk books are proving to be generally excellent and long may they continue.

Jaz_Wiseman
405 lines

Post by Jaz_Wiseman »

Mark wrote:Fair point about "NATEOTL", it is understandably popular and it's rare appearance is to maintain the high quality of course.

Also some interesting points from Jaz, it's obviously a shame that ITV's high costs mean the heady days of the glossy softback ( ala' "Randall And Hopkirk") are perhaps gone, but there is always the 'unofficial' route.

MIWK publishing have come up with some great books, such as "Doomwatch", "Worzel Gummidge" and "Robin Of Sherwood", and Telos publishing with "Survivors" and "Blakes 7".

These are often text only, but that's fine, a story of production and episode guide would be most welcome, using Andrew P's 'facts and figures' style.

I do have one "Saint" book, it covered all the various incarnations, and although I don't usually bother with partworks ( due to the expense) I did get the "Danger Man"/"Prisoner" one, which was excellent, I think Andrew P was responsible for the text, covering each episode.
I did a lot of the Danger Man partwork - nice job while it lasted

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Duncan wrote:Yes the miwk books are proving to be generally excellent and long may they continue.
Nicely presented as well, great covers.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Jaz_Wiseman wrote:
Mark wrote:Fair point about "NATEOTL", it is understandably popular and it's rare appearance is to maintain the high quality of course.

I did a lot of the Danger Man partwork - nice job while it lasted
Really1, it is very good indeed, I often drag out the binders for a read.

Even more reason, to present us all with that much needed "Persuaders" book, filming dates and anecdotes, Moore and Curtis's relationship and just how often did Curtis stray from the script with ad-libs?

There is a good choice of publishers that I'm sure would be interested in an 'Unauthorized' edition, ( with a non-specific cover) there's also Kal publishing ( but I'm sure you know all this, to be fair).

So many great stories about the various ITC series, in interviews over the years, from Stuart Damon putting on his glasses to read his script, just after filming a scene with his super sight, to Wyngarde calling Rosemary Nicols, Nickers.

Jaz_Wiseman
405 lines

Post by Jaz_Wiseman »

Mark wrote: Really1, it is very good indeed, I often drag out the binders for a read.

Even more reason, to present us all with that much needed "Persuaders" book, filming dates and anecdotes, Moore and Curtis's relationship and just how often did Curtis stray from the script with ad-libs?

There is a good choice of publishers that I'm sure would be interested in an 'Unauthorized' edition, ( with a non-specific cover) there's also Kal publishing ( but I'm sure you know all this, to be fair).

So many great stories about the various ITC series, in interviews over the years, from Stuart Damon putting on his glasses to read his script, just after filming a scene with his super sight, to Wyngarde calling Rosemary Nicols, Nickers.
My reservations with the 'Unauthorised' route revolves around the use of imagery. At least an 'official' book means I can use ITC imagery without the worry of being pursued.

As for Knickers, a said person remarked that she had trouble keeping them on, hence the name… I'll leave that to you to work out!

cdnbob
625 lines

Post by cdnbob »

Jaz_Wiseman wrote:My reservations with the 'Unauthorised' route revolves around the use of imagery. At least an 'official' book means I can use ITC imagery without the worry of being pursued.
There's a way around that in the use of original artwork. You could commission an artist to draw specific art for the book. As the work would be original, I can't see there being a problem with featuring this sort of thing.

I still think there is enough interest in a 'cult' TV magazine of some sort. I think the key might be in trying to do something different with it. This could be in style, presentation, format, etc. I think in addition to a print version, you'd likely want to add an e-version as well. I'm just not totally convinced yet that this sort of publication is totally dead. I don't know about the UK, but in Canada and the USA the sale of electronic readers and e-Books/magazines has been steadily decreasing while print has slowly been gaining in sales. While I admit that that's a rather generic statement, I interpret it to mean that the physical print format is not dead and still thriving.
Jaz_Wiseman wrote:The loss of Action TV was a big one as Mike and I planned to feature on big ITC article per issue. Again it was a victim of the internet and between us we really tried hard with that mag to make it a success.
I was a regular reader of Action TV and was really disappointed when I found it had ceased publication. I was always impressed and thought the mag improved with each issue. I've often talked to Andrew Screen about the mag - who BTW, as a bit of a plug is currently writing a book about Nigel Kneale's "Beasts" for Pencil Tip Publishing.

Jaz_Wiseman
405 lines

Post by Jaz_Wiseman »

cdnbob wrote:
Jaz_Wiseman wrote:My reservations with the 'Unauthorised' route revolves around the use of imagery. At least an 'official' book means I can use ITC imagery without the worry of being pursued.
There's a way around that in the use of original artwork. You could commission an artist to draw specific art for the book. As the work would be original, I can't see there being a problem with featuring this sort of thing.
I was taking about photographs. Personally I don't like using the kind of artwork (drawings) you mention.Production artwork from the time yes, but new illustrations, especially of people, not for me.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Jaz_Wiseman wrote:
Mark wrote: Really1, it is very good indeed, I often drag out the binders for a read.

My reservations with the 'Unauthorised' route revolves around the use of imagery. At least an 'official' book means I can use ITC imagery without the worry of being pursued.

As for Knickers, a said person remarked that she had trouble keeping them on, hence the name… I'll leave that to you to work out!
Blimey!...I just thought it was an affectionate and quick way to say her last name, there was even a display of 'Knickers' Knickers in the first episode.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Jaz_Wiseman wrote:
cdnbob wrote:
I was taking about photographs. Personally I don't like using the kind of artwork (drawings) you mention.Production artwork from the time yes, but new illustrations, especially of people, not for me.
Are there no privately taken 'behind the scenes' photos, by the crew or cast, that could be used, not only rare but Outside of ITV rights?

I have always wondered about the TV Times archive, they may well have stills outside of the ones in the ITV archive, they certainly printed such stills from various shows at the time ( eg: "Ace Of Wands").

There are photos from the ITV archive, used in the excellent KAL published book on "Sexton Blake", but it does mean a higher RRP, which I suppose can effect sales.

Jaz_Wiseman
405 lines

Post by Jaz_Wiseman »

Mark wrote: Are there no privately taken 'behind the scenes' photos, by the crew or cast, that could be used, not only rare but Outside of ITV rights?

I have always wondered about the TV Times archive, they may well have stills outside of the ones in the ITV archive, they certainly printed such stills from various shows at the time ( eg: "Ace Of Wands").

There are photos from the ITV archive, used in the excellent KAL published book on "Sexton Blake", but it does mean a higher RRP, which I suppose can effect sales.
I've got a LOT of unseen photos from cast and crew members private collections but as well as using these I want to use the ITV archive ones which I have been through on many occasions for both TMA and during my 18 months working at Carlton. A book on The Persuaders! (or any other ITC series) without using photos just doesn't work for me. Television is a visual thing and images are essential in my opinion.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Jaz_Wiseman wrote:
Mark wrote: Are there no privately taken 'behind the scenes' photos, by the crew or cast, that could be used, not only rare but Outside of ITV rights?

I've got a LOT of unseen photos from cast and crew members private collections but as well as using these I want to use the ITV archive ones which I have been through on many occasions for both TMA and during my 18 months working at Carlton. A book on The Persuaders! (or any other ITC series) without using photos just doesn't work for me. Television is a visual thing and images are essential in my opinion.
I totally agree, that would be the ideal type of book that the ITC series deserve ( the 'Behind The Scenes' photos would also be fascinating to see).

Again, you probably know about this, but Signum books published an updated book on "UFO", earlier this year, and it sold out soon afterwards ( with a promise for a re-print, apparently, although it's not happened yet) , I know it's an Anderson series which always sell well, but it may be worth trying them.

I certainly hope we get to see "The Persuaders" book, as it's such an obvious contender for a decent glossy release.

Jaz_Wiseman
405 lines

Post by Jaz_Wiseman »

Mark wrote:
Jaz_Wiseman wrote:

I totally agree, that would be the ideal type of book that the ITC series deserve ( the 'Behind The Scenes' photos would also be fascinating to see).

Again, you probably know about this, but Signum books published an updated book on "UFO", earlier this year, and it sold out soon afterwards ( with a promise for a re-print, apparently, although it's not happened yet) , I know it's an Anderson series which always sell well, but it may be worth trying them.

I certainly hope we get to see "The Persuaders" book, as it's such an obvious contender for a decent glossy release.
I've known Marcus Hearn (owner of Signum) for many years and that is a good idea but I doubt he'd let me design it which is something very important to me as I want to do it (full artistic control you might say). I'm just not prepared to hand over my stuff to anyone else. I share them, lo-res and watermarked on the ITC Facebook page but handing over hi-res or original images, or production paperwork, artwork etc, no way!

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

As Marcus Hearn is busy on DWM, he might just let you.

Jaz_Wiseman
405 lines

Post by Jaz_Wiseman »

Mark wrote:As Marcus Hearn is busy on DWM, he might just let you.
Kylie Minogue's first UK number 1

cdnbob
625 lines

Post by cdnbob »

Just barge back into the conversation... ;-)

I've been talking with a fellow TV enthusiast about the idea of a Cult TV magazine. We've been giving it some thought and right now it looks like we're going to do something - maybe a one off - to test the market. Nothing 100% definite yet, but the seeds of ideas are there. We're looking at something along the lines of our faves from 'in the day' like The Frame, In-Vision, Timescreen, Action TV, SIG - something serious in tone, but not too dry or overtly scholarly. We're thinking along the scopes of those magazines but something with a modern twist. I'll definitely keep everyone on the forum in the loop as to developments. But, if this seems like something you'd like to get involved in, or even contribute to, please do feel free to get in touch.