625 lines

CHROMAKEY: THE MAGAZINE OF GENRE TELEVISION

Post by cdnbob »

Official Announcement...

PENCIL TIP PUBLISHING
is pleased to announce our very first magazine

CHROMAKEY
THE MAGAZINE OF GENRE TELEVISION

Following in the tradition of past classic TV-related publications as: Timescreen, The Frame, DWB and Action TV,
Chromakey will be an updated, modern, twenty-first century version.

Each issue will feature a variety of written material including: articles, reviews, opinion pieces, interviews, analysis, features, etc. that is informative, in-depth, detail orientated and retrospective. While material will be of a more serious-tone, the magazine will endeavour to remain entertaining and informative – you won’t find material that is lightweight, frothy, irrelevant, overly dry or scholarly. Articles will be not only of interest to the archive television enthusiast, but also to the general fan of television as well. Contributors will be encouraged to ‘speak their mind’ or offer an unpopular opinion on a subject. Our subject matter will be treated with respect and seriousness.

Chromakey will be published twice per year, and edited by Richard Peevers and Bob Furnell.

You can find a copy of our Submission Guidelines on our site.

BLOG/SITE
http://www.chromakeymagazine.wordpress.com

FACEBOOK
http://www.facebook.com/groups/206619939909703

If you have any questions, please contact either Richard or Bob at penciltippublishing@shaw.ca.
Please make sure you put "Chromakey" in the subject line.

Duncan
625 lines

Re: CHROMAKEY: THE MAGAZINE OF GENRE TELEVISION

Post by Duncan »

what a lovely name for such a magazine - best of luck with it!

cdnbob
625 lines

Post by cdnbob »

Duncan wrote:what a lovely name for such a magazine - best of luck with it!
Thanks Duncan. Much appreciated.

Our Submission Guidelines can be found on our site both in online readable and pdf downloadable versions. I'll continue to post details and info on the first issue as things progress, including the submission deadline date for material intended for publication.

I hope you guys will support the magazine - whether buying a copy when it comes out, passing the word around, or even contributing something for publication. I really do want to publish something serious in the great tradition of those zines that have come before this.

cdnbob
625 lines

Post by cdnbob »

I received an email question the other day about the magazine, and just to clarify for everyone's understanding, yes, this will be a print magazine. It will be print-on-demand, color covers, likely B&W interiors.

cdnbob
625 lines

Post by cdnbob »

We are now taking submissions for our very first issue.

We are looking for contributors who have sound knowledge of science fiction, fantasy, telefantasy and cult television.

What We're Looking For
  • Series overview/history (in-depth overview of the TV series)
  • Interviews with in-front or behind-the-camera personnel
  • Episode Reviews (reviews of select episodes from various TV series)
  • Opinion Pieces
  • Topical Discussions
  • Point-of-View
  • Themed articles (e.g. minorities in television, etc…)
  • Series/season overviews/assessments
  • Reviews of television-related DVDs, video, books and audio releases
  • Other similarly written material
Word Count
  • Main Feature articles should be circa 3000-5000 words.
  • Feature articles should be circa 2000-3000 words.
  • Reviews should be circa 800-1000 words. NB: There are exceptions to this limit depending on the subject of the review.
Please check with us first before submitting material longer than 3000 words/4 pages.

Articles should be insightful, informative, grammatically correct and well-written, but should not read like something from a college textbook. Material should still retain that element of ‘fun.’

If you have an idea for an article, or have any questions about contributing to the first issue, please contact us direct at the Pencil Tip Publishing email address.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

Sounds good.
Any particular genre, or will it cover everything?

cdnbob
625 lines

Post by cdnbob »

brigham wrote:Sounds good.
Any particular genre, or will it cover everything?
Science Fiction, Fantasy, Telefantasy and Cult TV - primarily those shows made in the UK and US along with Canada, Australia and New Zealand.

cdnbob
625 lines

Post by cdnbob »

If you’re planning to submit an article to Chromakey the submission deadline is Saturday May 19 2018. Full details on the Chromakey blog https://chromakeymagazine.wordpress.com

John Williams
Committee

Post by John Williams »

$0.005 per word? I don’t think so.

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

Post by Nick Cooper 625 »

John Williams wrote:$0.005 per word? I don’t think so.
Ouch!

<checks exchange rate>

Double ouch!
"Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo." [Wells]

TonyCurrie
625 lines

Post by TonyCurrie »

If a print magazine wants engaging features written by professionals, it ought to be prepared to pay the going rate. That's not a going rate, it's either a sick joke or an insult to journalists. Avoid this magazine like the plague.

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

I've always got the impression that this was a fanzine, so written, published and read by fans of the genre, not a 'professional' magazine - I use the term professional to mean money making. I'm not sure that mainstream magazines would advertise interest/commission via a fan forum in the way this is, so I don't think it is useful to make that comparison and then issue the advice to avoid like the plague.

There are plenty of people who are more than happy to publish their own work and make it freely available (blogs etc.) and, I have read, publications like The Huffington Post don't pay arguing that to be published by them is payment in itself. I suppose it comes down to how narcissistic the writer is.

Turning it around, if a professional journalist is reduced to scratching about for work via web fora and fanzines, then I suspect that their work is not rated that highly!

cdnbob
625 lines

Post by cdnbob »

I'm posting the follow response here as well seeing since comments have been on my original posts...

I don't usually make a habit of responding to posts that seem to go pear-shaped because someone doesn't like or agree with what you're doing. Typically I ignore comments like those that have been made above, but I felt that the original post has gotten so off topic that I had to wade in to the discussion.

Since "JohnWilliams" original comment on the thread, I've; a) not had time to drop by the forum, and, b) chose to ignore his comments. Well, imagine my surprise, and dismay, to find five additional 'snarky' comments added to the thread since I last logged on. Perhaps I'm at fault here for not responding sooner, or clearing up any misunderstandings, or maybe I wasn't precise enough in my explanation of what we're trying to achieve with "Chromakey". I don't know. But I will say I'm a tad bit slighted by the comments that have been made.

Anyway, to clear a few misconceptions I think several of you seem to have...

First off, let me explain that "Chromakey" is neither a fanzine nor a professional large scale magazine like a "TV Zone, People, Us, Starburst, Vogue, GQ, Doctor Who Magazine" etc. The intention behind the magazine was to do a modern day version of "Timescreen, The Frame" and "Action TV" - I realize some of you may not be old enough to get the references to these magazines. (I loved those magazines and miss them and my intention with "Chromakey" was pay tribute to those classic mags.)

I didn't want people to think this was a fanzine but rather something more in between the two types of magazines (i.e. amateur and professional). The type of magazine I have in my mind and that I'm aiming for is something a little more professionally produced and run - something along the lines of a literary journal - or aspire to.

Second, I've done the fanzine route - years of begging, and cajoling, people to write articles on their favourite TV show or topic and those contributors not getting anything for their hard work and time other than seeing their name in print (e.g. Whotopia, The Doctor Who Project, Jigsaw, Tellyvision, etc). Yes, I fully realized that the rates we were offering were not anywhere near professional rates. They weren't ever meant to be. Neither were the rates being offered meant to be an insult. (I'm sorry if people felt that way.) My intention was to at least to offer contributors something as a small thank you for contributing other than just a free copy of the published issue.

Yes, I would love to be able to pay a writer, or artist, hundreds of dollars for a 3500 word piece, or for their art. The reality of the situation is we're starting off small and building up from the bottom. I don't have a multi-million dollar budget to work with. One has to start at the bottom and work their way up. You just can't waltz in and say, "yeah, I'll pay you $1000 for 1000 words." I don't know of any start-ups that are able to do that.

I'm not trying to be cheap. I'm not trying to rip-off contributors. I'm not trying to screw anyone around. Rather, I think you'd find I am one of the most honest, down-to-earth persons you'd meet. But as I said above, my intention was to at least offer contributors something as a small thank you for contributing other than just a free copy of the published issue.

Finally, I do want to say, that if someone wants to contribute to the first issue, I'd be more than happy to consider their article. If not, well, that's really their choice. I'm not here to beg people. The invitation was made.

I hope by the way of the above explanation has gone some way to clear up any misunderstanding or miscommunication. And if anyone has any further questions, would like additional information, or would like me to clarify things further, I'm more than happy to answer those questions. Feel free to post them here, or PM me.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

This is the problem when money is offered or accepted. A responsibility is implied, whether you are a volunteer or a professional trader.
I remember a volunteer manning a gift shop at a tourist attraction telling an unhappy customer "Don't blame me, I don't get paid to work here".
Fact is, he's still taking the customer's money, and he needs to understand the responsibility he has undertaken by volunteering. If nominally unpaid workers could carry no responsibility, Starbucks would have been using them for years.

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

Thanks cdnbob, it was pretty much as I understood it to be - even if my post was a little clunky with terminology.

cdnbob
625 lines

Post by cdnbob »

Interested in writing for Chromakey, and you have a question? Are we accepting artwork? Do we pay? Or, maybe you’d just like to know a bit more about our plans for the magazine.

If so, you might like to check out our brand new FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) page.

Hopefully the FAQ will have an answer to your question(s), but if not, please do feel free to contact us for further information.

You can view the FAQ by clicking on the following link.

cdnbob
625 lines

Post by cdnbob »

For those of you who've been asking for a list of what shows we'll be covering in Chromakey, if you drop by our blog, you'll find an Excel document that you can download.

cdnbob
625 lines

Post by cdnbob »

Issue 1 is progressing along well and we're hoping to have it out something in early Fall.

We've got some great material lined up for the first issue and also for forthcoming issues covering such shows as: Lost In Space (new & old), A Very British Coup, The Starlost, The Expanse, Counterstrike, UFO, Day of the Triffids, The Lone Gunmen, Edge of Darkness and lots of more.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

Oh, right.
What a disappointment.

Duncan
625 lines

Post by Duncan »

I think it sounds a very promising line up.

cdnbob
625 lines

Post by cdnbob »

brigham wrote:Oh, right.
What a disappointment.
How can it be a disappointment when... a) the line-up for the first issue hasn't even been revealed; b) the first issue hasn't even been published; and c) those shows listed in the post are series being covered in future issues?

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

cdnbob wrote:
What a disappointment.
How can it be a disappointment when... a) the line-up for the first issue hasn't even been revealed; b) the first issue hasn't even been published; and c) those shows listed in the post are series being covered in future issues?
To me, American reviews of fundamentally British material are always a disappointment.
I suppose it started with The Beatles...

Robin Davies
405 lines

Post by Robin Davies »

brigham wrote:
cdnbob wrote:
What a disappointment.
To me, American reviews of fundamentally British material are always a disappointment.
How were we supposed to figure that out from your previous post?
And do you dismiss British reviews of American material too?

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

Sorry, I sometimes get so involved with a subject that I 'think out loud'.
I don't 'dismiss' anything. I've just lived too long to expect a different result from more of the same actions.

cdnbob
625 lines

Post by cdnbob »

OFFTOPIC :
brigham wrote:To me, American reviews of fundamentally British material are always a disappointment.
Not trying to be rude here, but rather pointing to a fundamental flaw in your post. You might want to check details first before posting comments like that again because the magazine is not American in any way shape or form.

The magazine is **CANADIAN**, which is a h*ll of a lot different.

Oh and BTW, just for the record, the editors - one is Canadian while the other is a Brit. ;-)

cdnbob
625 lines

Post by cdnbob »

[align=center]Image

Lineup for Chromakey Issue 1:

Lost In Space (old & new); Altered Carbon; The Starlost;
Gary Conway Interview; A Very British Coup; UFO; Gargoyles;
Sapphire & Steel; Failed 1970s Genre Pilots & more.

On sale Nov 2018.

http://www.chromakeymagazine.com[/align]

cdnbob
625 lines

Post by cdnbob »

[align=center]ANNOUNCING THE DEBUT ISSUE OF OUR ALL NEW CULT TV MAGAZINE

CHROMAKEY
ISSUE ONE/WINTER 2019

LOST IN SPACE: EVERYTHING OLD IS NEW AGAIN
Dan Tessier takes a look at the similarities and differences between the 1960s' original and the new Netflix series.

THE CONTEMPORARY FUTURE OF ALTERED CARBON
Richard Peevers dives into the world of the popular Netflix series.

THE STARLOST
Bob Furnell goes back to the 1970s and delves in to the making of this Canadian-made sci-fi series.

GARY CONWAY INTERVIEWED
Actor Gary Conway sits down with Steve Eramo to talk about his career and life in this exclusive interview.

REVISITING A VERY BRITISH COUP
Matthew Kresal gets to grips with this highly popular and well-remembered British political thriller.

TUBE TERRORS: GARGOYLES
Remember those made-for-tv horror movies from the 70s and 80s?
Arnold T. Blumberg takes a look at the 1972 production Gargoyles.

UFO: KILL STRAKER
Our panel review the episode "Kill Straker" from the Gerry & Sylvia Anderson series, UFO.

FORGOTTEN CLASSICS: COUNTERSTRIKE
In the first of his ongoing series looking at forgotten sci-fi and fantasy series,
Andrew Screen examines the BBC’s final black and white filmed series, Counterstrike.

SAPPHIRE & STEEL: LIKE A PIECE OF DARKNESS
Peter Gouldson offers his appreciation of the second adventure which many consider one of the series' best.

FAILED 1970s GENRE TV PILOTS
Bob Furnell provides the lowdown on the numerous failed American TV series pilots made in the 1970s.

REVIEWS AND MORE

ON SALE JANUARY 25 2019
$9.99 CAD | 96 Pages | Available POD from Lulu.com

Cover by Steve Ince

ADDITIONAL DETAILS AT:
http://www.chromakeymagazine.com[/align]

cdnbob
625 lines

Post by cdnbob »

[align=center]We're really excited to announce that the debut issue of Chromakey has now been released and is available to purchase.

CHROMAKEY
ISSUE ONE/WINTER 2019

ON SALE NOW

$9.99 CAD | Available POD from http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/penciltippublishing[/align]

swills
405 lines

Post by swills »

Ordered ! :-) :-)

cdnbob
625 lines

Post by cdnbob »

swills wrote:Ordered ! :-) :-)
Thank you. Hope you enjoy.