"Infinity" (UK magazine)

Film, stage, music, books and so on...
AndrewP
625 lines

"Infinity" (UK magazine)

Post by AndrewP »

Don't know if anyone's flagged it up before, but there's a rather nice retro-magazine called "Infinity" which has slowly been getting improved distribution across the UK (mainly via WH Smith) in recent months. It's a bit like picking up an issue of "Starburst" from around 1983 for those of you familiar with its style and content at the time. I find that there's always something to read in it and it gives off a lovely cosy, 20th century vibe.

The current issue - #09 - has some enjoyable odds and ends in it. There's an article about "The Six Million Dollar Man" which I found massively interesting, and a rather good piece about the 1979 BBC1 paranormal thriller "The Ωmega Factor". There's also some nice short overviews of retro heroes such as Dick Barton and Dan Dare, and a rather nice overview of the "Look-in" publication of the 1970s.

Just thought I'd flag it up in case people were keen to take a dip into reading more about some of these wonderful old shows. Website is here:

http://www.hemlockbooks.co.uk/Shop/category/132

All the best

Andrew

drmih
625 lines

Re: "Infinity" (UK magazine)

Post by drmih »

but is it as good as Timescreen:)

AndrewP
625 lines

Post by AndrewP »

Finally had chance to read Issue 16 ... and it has some great articles in it. The look at Granada's very stylish private investigation series "Bulman" was a real gem ... but I also found myself fascinated by some pieces which were more tangential to my main interest and covering Marvel Comics in the UK, the Italian "Gamma 1" SF films, and the in-depth pieces on the movies "Barbarella" and "Journey to the Centre of the Earth". All very entertaining and informative.

All the best

Andrew

AndrewP
625 lines

Post by AndrewP »

Some very nice pieces in the new issue. Terrific overview of "Lost in Space"; I've read many accounts of it before, but this one is brilliantly assembled with a lovely variety of quotes to tell the tale. There's also an extremely good overview of "Callan" (which I still rate as one of the best TV shows of all time) and a very nice, enjoyable look at "The Adventurer" (which I rate as one of the worst).

It's a nice little eclectic title.

All the best

Andrew

AndrewP
625 lines

Post by AndrewP »

Picked up the latest issue today and very much enjoyed the pieces on "Timeslip" and particularly "CATS Eyes" thus far. Looks like a nice spread of subject matter again with some good reading in store for the next couple of days.

All the best

Andrew

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Yes, it's a good issue, especially "Timeslip" and " "Cat's Eyes", also the Viewmaster article brings back memories, I collected the TV titles at the time, even got the projector, "UFO" looked great on it!

Not read the "Logan's Run" piece yet, but liked that short lived series, and I see it's "Fantastic Journey" next issue, another one I liked that only ran to a handful of episodes.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"