TV Years (New Mag)

Film, stage, music, books and so on...
Mark
Committee

TV Years (New Mag)

Post by Mark »

A new Magazine is out on Tuesday (Sept 11) TV Years, it's an 80's special.

Some familiar writers involved.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Private Frazer
625 lines

Re: TV Years (New Mag)

Post by Private Frazer »

I'll certainly take a look at it and hope the earlier decades follow.
"Now listen you guys, I don't wish to alarm you but there's some pretty weird things going on out here..."

TonyCurrie
625 lines

Post by TonyCurrie »

It has the potential to be a brilliant magazine. Great team, great ideas. Fingers crossed!

cdnbob
625 lines

Post by cdnbob »

Mark wrote:A new Magazine is out on Tuesday (Sept 11) TV Years, it's an 80's special.

Some familiar writers involved.
Thanks for the info but could you provide a link to a site or information on the magazine?

Private Frazer
625 lines

Post by Private Frazer »

I found this TV Cream page
"Now listen you guys, I don't wish to alarm you but there's some pretty weird things going on out here..."

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Thanks for the link Private Frazer, I rushed the initial post!

When I saw a pic of Metal Mickey on the contents page, it was sold! ( although it may just be mentioned in the 'year by year' thingy.

cdnbob
625 lines

Post by cdnbob »

Mark wrote:Thanks for the link Private Frazer, I rushed the initial post!

When I saw a pic of Metal Mickey on the contents page, it was sold! ( although it may just be mentioned in the 'year by year' thingy.
Yes, many thanks for the link. Checked it out.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Still haven't picked this up yet, must have another look for it.

Private Frazer
625 lines

Post by Private Frazer »

Just got one at WHS; I was abroad in the 80's!

TonyCurrie
625 lines

Post by TonyCurrie »

Well, since nobody else has said it, let me say that this is a brilliant piece of work. Highly readable, compelling contect, absolutely brilliant graphic and visual design, and adverts confined to back covers so no interruptions. (Probably not intended that way of course...) It's one of the most enjoyable magazines I've picked up recently (Record Collector apart) and I truly hope it continues and is a great success!!

The Farmer
405 lines

Post by The Farmer »

Can anybody help me buying this magazine online as a customer outside the UK?

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

There's a twitter page for it, that may help.

TV Years

There's also Newsstand, but it's listed as 'out of stock', at the moment.

The twitter page is the best bet.

Also the TV Cream link, earlier in the thread.

Private Frazer
625 lines

Post by Private Frazer »

Nice to learn about Bergerac from John Nettles himself and all the entertainment spots on Jersey in the 1980's! It's one of the other BBC Sunday evening dramas between the two Poldarks then. I didn't realise it ran for so long and had such an interesting cast including Celia Imrie. I'm enjoying the first TV Years magazine which is full of new stuff for me.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Yes, finally picked one up, have to agree with John Nettles, it did go on a little bit too long, some good stories about Terence Alexander and of course the car!

Interesting interview with Sarah Greene, and I liked the piece on "Howard's Way".

It certainly manages to invoke something of the decade, although the cover banner states 'Best Telly Decade ever'!...good mag though, hope there is more.

The Lurker In The Shadows
405 lines

Post by The Lurker In The Shadows »

The TV Years Christmas Special goes on sale next week. The Mark Gatiss article on 'A Ghost Story for Christmas' immediately has my attention, but it looks packed with festive goodies.

http://www.tvcream.co.uk/blog/a-bit-of- ... christmas/

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Nice snowy cover as well.

The Xmas Ghost stories piece sounds great, "Top Of The Pops" and Morecambe And Wise" too.

Might put off reading it though...until the 'proper' time.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Just got hold of issue two, and it's really good.

A nice run down of the Xmas telly since 1960, and some of the best idents.

Possibly because they didn't want to overdo the "Doctor Who" mentions, but the absence of the series in the best Xmas Annuals was odd, some great ones though especially Look-In.

Good piece on the Xmas VT tapes, although it suggests they couldn't be done now because of PC, but I always thought it was because they were something that couldn't be transmitted because of the language and sexually explicit nature plus the bad taste jokes, but that sums up the post 9pm comedy on TV today, so the point of them is lost.

There is a BBC Four doc on the VT tapes over Christmas.

Great issue though, well worth tracking down.

Private Frazer
625 lines

Post by Private Frazer »

I think I'll get this rather than the Christmas Radio Times; it sounds as good as the first one.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Private Frazer wrote:I think I'll get this rather than the Christmas Radio Times; it sounds as good as the first one.
Picked it up yet?...it's better than the first one!

Private Frazer
625 lines

Post by Private Frazer »

All gone, but
Mark wrote:
Private Frazer wrote:I think I'll get this rather than the Christmas Radio Times; it sounds as good as the first one.
Picked it up yet?...it's better than the first one!
Local WHS had it but all gone! Will get one.

Private Frazer
625 lines

Post by Private Frazer »

Got it.
Mark wrote:...
A nice run down of the Xmas telly since 1960, and some of the best idents.

Possibly because they didn't want to overdo the "Doctor Who" mentions, but the absence of the series in the best Xmas Annuals was odd, some great ones though especially Look-In.

With the exception of 'A Question Of Sport' the selected Xmas Annuals are all about TV shows no longer on, so maybe that's why Doctor who and Blue Peter etc. are notably absent. Feels like this is to make it more of a reminder of earlier TV. Interesting to see the annuals for The Avengers, Blakes 7 and Star Maidens; the Avengers annual artwork is just like that in the jigsaws.
Next: the 20 page Christmas through the decades section. Its great that someone has gathered all this information and put it in an easily readable and nicely illustrated format.
100 pages is alright!

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

You've managed to track one down.

Forgot about the "Blue Peter" books, you could be right there.

I have many of the featured Annuals ( largely from the time) including the "Blakes 7" ones, there was a good range of TV titles.

The schedule rundown feature does bring back many memories, and nicely demonstrates the changing Christmas TV landscape.

Private Frazer
625 lines

Post by Private Frazer »

Issue 3 has arrived - TV Years returns to look at television’s most outrageous decade – the Nineties
I'm tempted.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Private Frazer wrote:Issue 3 has arrived - TV Years returns to look at television’s most outrageous decade – the Nineties
I'm tempted.
Tempted?...what to read it!

I have just got it too ( for completion's sake really), there are some features I am interested to read, such as the disastrous "Eldorado" and poor ol' BSB, but most of it are shows I didn't really care for ( not saying they weren't good, of course) but I will read through it, surprised they managed to find 50 'best moments' though.!

Let's face it though, it was the decade when British Television was in serious decline.

Private Frazer
625 lines

Post by Private Frazer »

I didn't know there was an article on BSB which would be interesting as I think it was an exciting venture (and maybe it'll mention Jupiter Moon!). So more tempted to have one now despite much of the rest being only of passing interest.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

The BSB feature is a short one at the back, not read it yet, but looks good.

It's worth getting of course as it's a good mag, it also covers the decade year by year.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Issue 4 of TV Years is a Children's TV special, personally, it's the opposite of The Nineties issue, as this one will be an instant cover to cover read.

Great cover too, out June 4th.

AndrewP
625 lines

Post by AndrewP »

Picked Issue 4 (Classic Children's Television) up this morning. *Very* nice selection of articles (and it's so good to read a publication which bothers to differentiate between the old ITV stations rather than just saying "ITV"). Particularly taken with Gary Russell's recollections of making "The Famous Five", the look at some of the earliest lunchtime shows on the commercial network from the 1970s, the overview of "Why Don't You...?" and the Johnny Ball interview, plus numerous other gorgeous listy bits which I'd happily see expanded into some full-length volumes if their authors have the time and opportunity to do so. It's so nice to get a publication which considers television as a whole.

All the best

Andrew

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Couldn't find it today, will look again, though you have seriously whetted my appetite now.

Noseybonk on the cover as well, could cause fainting and screaming.!

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

This issue is excellent, together with the Christmas one.

One hugely disappointing omission in the Year by Year list, though..."Zokko", I know everything can't be listed but "Zokko" was special despite it's seemingly thrown together eclectic mix of items, it was different, and the Skayn serial was really good, the also entertaining "Ed And Zed" is in there, so odd to miss out on the best Pinball Machine presenter we have ever had.

Great feature (and Photos) on Lewis Rudd, could have done with more on that one, and the Edward Barnes and Mick Robertson ones, all the interviews were very welcome though, and great choices.

Splendid article from Andrew P on "Bagpuss", and I also very much enjoyed the look back at the Lunchtime shows, and the famous dubbed serials.

Lovely back page article from Dick Fiddy on missing shows focusing on "Ace Of Wands".

And...more on Noseybonk ( shudder) actually did anyone really find it frightening?, more funny and entertaining really.

Obviously you could get many more specials on this genre, easily, and hopefully there will be.