TV Years (New Mag)

Film, stage, music, books and so on...
Private Frazer
625 lines

Re: TV Years (New Mag)

Post by Private Frazer »

Hoping to be given one tomorrow!
"Now listen you guys, I don't wish to alarm you but there's some pretty weird things going on out here..."

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

It's a great read.

A nice interview about "Rentaghost" as well.

Let us know what you think.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Private Frazer
625 lines

Post by Private Frazer »

Are you sitting comfortably made me realise just how many children's TV shows there have been. I have to agree with the no. 1 choice of John Noakes climbing Nelson's column in The 50 greatest Children's TV moments. My memories include "Andy (Pandy) is saying goodbye" but maybe there's a toddler's TV special still to come. Interesting to read in Think for Yourself that Johnny Ball wrote Cabbages and Kings which involved Julie Stevens. David Walliam's gets Animated made me feel that cartoons have a timeless quality about them. Still trying to get what a TV broom Cupboard is, first mentioned in the Andy Crane interview about all the frantic stints he had on TV. I agree with Tommy Boyd in his Interview that "kids TV can be as good as anything going out anywhere"; there may be a teenage TV special planned where this belongs more, but BBC's 2010 Shelfstackers was a really good comedy created by Bede Blake. "Why don't You ..." - I think I did. The 'Singing Ringing Tree' I remember most amongst the The Foreign Language Shows. Everybody likes the theme tunes from the horsey What a Girl Wants shows. After getting an interesting inside view in A Secret Never To Be Told of the way Magpie was made compared to Blue Peter I still like BP better. One thing I like about the way the TV Years magazine is edited is the variety of sources for articles such as TV executive Lewis Rudd in Life through a Lens. In Year By Year I didn't know Tales of The Riverbank was dubbed over by Johnny Morris or that Sylvester McCoy made interactive drama in BBC's 1988 'What's Your Story' (bit online) or that Russell T Davies wrote Runners for BBC's 1990 'Breakfast Serials'.

And I'm sure the rest of it will be just as interesting.
"Now listen you guys, I don't wish to alarm you but there's some pretty weird things going on out here..."

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

That Noakes "BP" item never fails to be utterly terrifying every time it's shown, still don't know how he did it.

The Johnny Ball interview was terrififc, interesting to hear him talk about his ITV experience, and the remark about Southern would have meant a lot more editions than Central, I thought "Cabbages And Kings" was very good and a funny series at the time, an early version of "Horrible Histories".

I remember "Tales Of The Riverbank" and the Morris narration, I think one episode was released on VHS, "Watch With Mother" Vol 2 or something like that, there was mention of it in one of the "Trumpton Riots" programmes, the animals used would often just nod off, so just before filming a scene, they would wet their noses and then blow on them and that would animate them into rubbing their whiskers.

I recall the McCoy "What's Your Story" series as well, there have been quite a few of that type of show over the years, with kids encouraged to write stories.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Sci-fi special out on August 6th.

All the usual suspects...and..."Captain Zep" , Hoooray!, love it!.

Private Frazer
625 lines

Post by Private Frazer »

Must get!

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Not picked it up yet, looking forward to it.

Private Frazer
625 lines

Post by Private Frazer »

Just read the Sci-fi special and there were a lot of new mini-series and plays mentioned in the year-by-year feature; it'll be interesting to look them up. This is for me the most useful thing about getting the magazine.
There can only be a few chosen for articles of course. Of one of those, the Star Maidens one was also another way to vary the articles in getting a perspective from a new fan. Also enjoyed reading Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker's remarks at the early Doctor Who get-together - and lots more.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

It's another good issue, although it's a shame the decades feature, once again, misses out the 50's and therefore productions like "The Trollenberg Terror".

It was nice to see shows like "Star Maidens" covered, thought the "Captain Zep" feature was good if a little short, it may have had a tiny budget but the still drawings technique stands out as a legit style ( as with "Bleep And Booster", "Skayn" and "Vidar And The Ice Monster").

Would still love to see a DVD of the two series, one extra could be the clip of Peter Davison in "Who" costume surprising the crew on board their ship!

I also enjoyed the transcripts of Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker from the early conventions (Jon Pertwee's interview at the 77 con was published in DWM) all very nostalgic for me as I was at those events, including the very first in 77, I even got to fire a Tesh gun.

Another nice MBW feature at the end , on "Doomwatch" from Dick Fiddy.