Book: I Am (Not) A Number

Film, stage, music, books and so on...
Private Frazer
625 lines

Book: I Am (Not) A Number

Post by Private Frazer »

Just got the "I Am (Not) A Number: Decoding The Prisoner" book (2017) by Alex Cox. I'm very interested in the author's belief that the episodes watched in their production order (rather than broadcast order) makes it all more understandable. Having watched it a couple of times I'm inspired to give this a try with the book as a companion.
"Now listen you guys, I don't wish to alarm you but there's some pretty weird things going on out here..."

Mark
Committee

Re: Book: I Am (Not) A Number

Post by Mark »

Can't say I have heard of this book, always interested in any new ones on the series though.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Private Frazer
625 lines

Post by Private Frazer »

Having read the book (and while keeping an open mind about the author's opinions on the meaning of The Prisoner) the suggested episode viewing order is far more convincing than the original broadcast order in the UK (which the USA also used although omitting Living in Harmony). In the introduction the Author says "Later broadcasts and DVD releases changed the overall order in different ways, thóugh Arrival was always first and Fall Out last. It would be good to know why they changed the rest of the order; so if anything is mentioned on the DVD releases I'd be interested. The TV rebroadcasts were maybe random/syndication?

Firstly a couple of points which are the background to what's puzzling me. Firstly, the book says (toward the end of the introduction) that, according to some sources, Patrick McGoohan wanted Once Upon A Time to be the end of season 1 (so episode 13). Second, I felt having it before 'Fall Out' works as the one does seem to lead to the other. So there would seem to have to be a pretty good reason for not putting it either at episode 13 or 16.

Now my problem. Positioning Once Upon A Time as episode six is, however, a bit unexplained. In the introduction the order is called "the sequence in which they were made", but in the second last chapter (Decoding the Prisoner) it is described as "with the exception of Once Upon A Time, this is the order in which they were filmed". Also the chapter about Once Upon A Time doesn't mention its production dates (as the other chapters do). In the introduction he only makes the point that Fall Out begins with a long series of flash backs to Once Upon A Time, so the reader/viewer will not suffer... in the order suggested. So I wish the Author would come and explain more clearly putting it at number six or tell me where I have missed the explanation!
"Now listen you guys, I don't wish to alarm you but there's some pretty weird things going on out here..."

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

There are these old articles from Time Screen ( accessed on the old site main page)

Everyman's Production Part 1

Everyman's Production Part 2
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Private Frazer
625 lines

Post by Private Frazer »

That's a great read.