Novelty Records

Film, stage, music, books and so on...
Mark
Committee

Novelty Records

Post by Mark »

There has been many good, and unusual novelty records released over the years.

Earliest that springs to mind are a few from "The Army Game", there's the theme sung by the cast including Michael Medwin and Bernard Bresslaw, with the b-side, "What Do We Do In The Army" being a rather good one too.

Bernard Bresslaw also released a few in character including " I Only Arsked", and Harry Fowler did one called "Follow Flogger", joined by Mario Fabrizi for the other song.

There was the theme for ATV's "Hancock", with comments from Hancock himself.

The theme for "Not In Front Of The Children" sang by Wendy Craig.

Three from "Doctor Who" of course, Roberta Tovey with "Who's Who", Frazer Hines with "Who Is Doctor Who", and Jon Pertwee's Rock version of the Theme, "Who Is The Doctor".

Arthur Lowe did the "Dad's Army" theme, and the cast did an excellent double with "We Stood Alone" and "Down Our Way".

A touching version of the theme of "For The Love Of Ada", with words from Wilfred Pickles and Irene Handl".

The theme for "Father Dear Father" sung by Patrick Cargill and the Petticoat Twins ( I don't think it was Natasha Pyne and Ann Holoway though).

The Fenn Street Gang managed an amusing song called "Please Sir!" ( not based on the theme) with a b-side labelled as "Live, Live, Live" but actually called "Life, Life, Life".

Even Potter himself had a go, with Deryck Guyler singing "You Can't Kill an Old Desert Rat" and "Ruby".

A nice one from Stephen ("On The Buses") Lewis called "Tickets Please", the b-side of which was somewhat unusual, "The Bed Sitter" ( Blakey is trying to listen to a record but the bloke upstairs is listening to something else but louder, with a lot of complaining from Blakey).

A couple from John Inman, "Are You Being Served Sir", and "I'm Free".

By the 80's, there was even Marvin The Paranoid Android with a couple of discs, "Marvin", "Metal Man", "Marvin I love You" and "Reasons To Be Miserable", plus DIsaster Area with "It's Only The End Of The World Again", and who could forget Reg Nullify in concert!

Also from Radio in the 60's, Jimmy Clitheroe with "My Pal Ozzie".
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Spiny Norman
D-MAC

Re: Novelty Records

Post by Spiny Norman »

How about Whispering Grass for Half Hot Mum?
This is nøt å signåture.™

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Oh yes, that's a good one, Davies was very funny in the "TOTP" video of it.

David Ballard
405 lines

Post by David Ballard »

There was Patrick Macnee and Honor Blackman with Kinky Boots.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

David Ballard wrote:There was Patrick Macnee and Honor Blackman with Kinky Boots.
Nice one, that was a great one too, a lot of fun.

A more serious one was Edward Woodward's rendition of the "Callan" theme, "This Man Alone".

Spiny's mention of 'Whispering Grass', has reminded me of the "IAHHM" theme release, 'Meet The Gang', with suitable shouty interruptions from Sgt Major Wiliams, especially...'SHUT UP!', of course.

wittoner
625 lines

Post by wittoner »

Going back a bit, Richard Chamberlain had a hit with a vocal version of the Dr Kildare Theme Called "Three stars will shine tonight."

Nigel Planer . in character as Neil from The Young Ones,had a big hit with "Hole in my Shoe".

Private Frazer
625 lines

Post by Private Frazer »

Mark wrote: ...Arthur Lowe did the "Dad's Army" theme, and the cast did an excellent double with "We Stood Alone" and "Down Our Way"....
The B side of another single (Dad's Army March, Christmas 1971) featured "What Did You Do In The War" * where the characters have solo parts with accompaniment by a chorus.
* also one labelled Dad's Army Platoon.
"Now listen you guys, I don't wish to alarm you but there's some pretty weird things going on out here..."

Spiny Norman
D-MAC

Post by Spiny Norman »

Mark wrote:
David Ballard wrote:There was Patrick Macnee and Honor Blackman with Kinky Boots.

A more serious one was Edward Woodward's rendition of the "Callan" theme, "This Man Alone".

Spiny's mention of 'Whispering Grass', has reminded me of the "IAHHM" theme release, 'Meet The Gang', with suitable shouty interruptions from Sgt Major Wiliams, especially...'SHUT UP!', of course.
It was probably a mistake of them to make a 95% musical album. After all, the joke was that the concert party were a joke. All second rate artists except for Lofty.
This is nøt å signåture.™

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

wittoner wrote:Going back a bit, Richard Chamberlain had a hit with a vocal version of the Dr Kildare Theme Called "Three stars will shine tonight."

Nigel Planer . in character as Neil from The Young Ones,had a big hit with "Hole in my Shoe".
Kildare one is very good, didn't know about that one!

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Private Frazer wrote:
Mark wrote: ...Arthur Lowe did the "Dad's Army" theme, and the cast did an excellent double with "We Stood Alone" and "Down Our Way"....
The B side of another single (Dad's Army March, Christmas 1971) featured "What Did You Do In The War" * where the characters have solo parts with accompaniment by a chorus.
* also one labelled Dad's Army Platoon.
Good ones there.

Interesting that there are a few for "Dad's Army", (as there is for "The Army Game"), there was also the album of the stage show.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Spiny Norman wrote:
Mark wrote:

It was probably a mistake of them to make a 95% musical album. After all, the joke was that the concert party were a joke. All second rate artists except for Lofty.
It was a good idea though, as it was a popular show, might have sold reasonably well.

There was another cast album that springs to mind, "Christmas With The Hammonds", a Dutch release of Christmas songs by the cast of "The Brothers".

Malcyb
405 lines

Post by Malcyb »

Ronnie Barker "Going Straight". Follow up to "Porridge".
Arthur Mullard "Yus My Dear".
Benny Hill "Ernie" and Clive Dunn "Grandad".
Telly Savalas of Kojak fame and "If".
Charlie Drake proclaiming his Boomerang Won't Come Back.
Bernard Cribbins had at least three with "Right Said Fred", "Hole In The Ground" and "Gossip Calypso".
Peter Sellers & Sophia Loren with "Goodness Gracious Me".
Terry Scott "My Brother".
Would The Goons count with their "Ying Tong Song" and the Goodies with their plethora of hits including "Black Pudding Bertha"!

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

With the 50th Aniversary of the Apollo 11 mission in mind, Philips at the time launched a 45 rpm record of the Moon landing audio, very nicely presented with a gatefold booklet full of info and a mini-poster of the Saturn rocket.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

This isn't really on-topic but when I was a kid I thought that a "novelty record" was one made out of chocolate or something like that.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

There was one for 'Dragnet', although it was Stan Freberg impersonating Webb, rather than the actor himself.

Chocolate records certainly were a novelty, though.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Malcyb's mention of the Drake record "My Boomerang Won't Come Back", TPTV recently showed the Drake film "The Cracksman" and at one point Drake throws a Boomerang which he then catches and he says something like "It finally came back!".