An Enid Blyton thread

Film, stage, music, books and so on...
paul.austin
625 lines

An Enid Blyton thread

Post by paul.austin »

When i was a kid, students at Monash University put on an amateur production of Blyton's "The Faraway Tree".

The books... the concept of a Land that visits and never stays for long is interesting. Bit formulaic though - even if they get stuck in a Land, they always manage to find a way back to the tree, and when Jo is turned topsy-turvy, or Connie loses her voice for listening in on a fairy's secret, you know it won't last.

brigham
HD

Re: An Enid Blyton thread

Post by brigham »

A bit like Doctor Who, then?

Blunderbirds
405 lines

Post by Blunderbirds »

paul.austin wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:19 am
When i was a kid, students at Monash University put on an amateur production of Blyton's "The Faraway Tree".

The books... the concept of a Land that visits and never stays for long is interesting. Bit formulaic though - even if they get stuck in a Land, they always manage to find a way back to the tree, and when Jo is turned topsy-turvy, or Connie loses her voice for listening in on a fairy's secret, you know it won't last.
It's been some years since I read the Faraway Tree books properly but I loved them as a kid and as I recall returning to the tree was never an issue. There was never drama about possibly not finding it. My memory is that the Tree was simply an arrival and departure point easily accessible when one wanted to visit somewhere new.

I found the travel method to different places infinitely more exciting in the Wishing Chair Stories.

paul.austin
625 lines

Post by paul.austin »

I'm writing a fanfiction where the Malory Towers girls fall victim to the magic that common in Blyton's fantasy tales. Imagine Darrell Rivers or Sally Hope turned into a fairy (the real ones - the ones that are female with wings and wear a dress). I can imagine Alicia Johns or her cousin June making fun of the now fairy schoolgirl, if not outright using them as a puppet or doll cause of their tiny size.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

"(the real ones - the ones that are female with wings and wear a dress)"

I think those are the FICTIONAL ones...

paul.austin
625 lines

Post by paul.austin »

It was a clumsy disambiguation from the hate slur against gay men. Sorry.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Why do fairies have to be female? Wasn't Oberon King of the Fairies?

EDIT: Completely OT, but this thread from the Lonely Planet forum is quite interesting on the topic. According to one poster, "the notion that fairies are exclusively, or even usually, female is by and large a 20th century creation of the Walt Disney corporation".

paul.austin
625 lines

Post by paul.austin »

Of course. Jasmine Pierce being turned into a *male* fairy in Torchwood would have caused quite the Mary Whitehouse. Maybe we should thank Disney ;)