He never said that...

Film, stage, music, books and so on...
stearn
Committee

Re: He never said that...

Post by stearn »

Thanks Mark, I'd missed that, but I was looking for a B&WMS not something under another name. Genome doesn't suggest a recent repeat but there was a Black and White Minstrel Show revisited in 2004. I vaguely remember watching that, but don't remember too much about it and didn't record it. Was Lenny Henry interviewed on it as he appeared in the B&WMS?

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

That was the "Timeshift" documentary I think, wasn't it?...I know Lenny Henry did speak about it at some point.

I didn't record them either, but I'm sure "Masquerade" was shown complete ( although I can't find any info about it) it would be the only edition that would be allowed to be broadcast of course, even then.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Mark wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:41 am
That was the "Timeshift" documentary I think, wasn't it?...I know Lenny Henry did speak about it at some point.
Yes, the clip is here, along with another clip from the documentary, illustrating a BBC article by Professor David Hendy on the subject. (The date is given as 8 August 2005 rather than 2004.)

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

That was the last tx date. Genome has 3: 6 Jun 2004, 14 Aug 2004 and then 8 Aug 2005.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Ah, OK. You'd really think the BBC could get their own transmission details right...

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

I suspect the web page was written after the initial broadcast and to promote the repeat a year later. There is no date on the page and nothing to suggest that is the case, but let's be generous.

JezR
625 lines

Post by JezR »

I think the differential may be when they were billed as the 'Mitchell Minstrels' it was blackface, but not if they were the 'Mitchell Singers'. There are some shows such as Christmas Night With the Stars in 1959 where each are used in different places.

The first appearance of on TV of Mitchell Minstrels was roughly a year before the regular BAWMS staged at Earls Court for the Radio Show, which was televised. Interestingly this did include a number of actual black performers such as Isabelle Lucas although with George Inns describing it as "the biggest black-up in television history", and Kenneth Connor being part of an act called 'The Two Black Looks' I'm not sure it counts for much.

Nigel Stapley
625 lines

Post by Nigel Stapley »

Brock wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:50 pm
Simon Coward wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:54 am

Of course, other people had done minstrel shows on the stage before then
But had they?
Anecdotal evidence: when my old man lived briefly in Letchworth, Herts. at the end of the 30s, he was a member of one such minstrel troupe.

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

Mark wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:41 am
I didn't record them either, but I'm sure "Masquerade" was shown complete...
It wasn't.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

No indeed, I know there were clips in the "Timeshift" documentary, but I have seen the complete show, so it must have been on a tape during the VHS days.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Nigel Stapley wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:23 pm
Brock wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:50 pm

But had they?
Anecdotal evidence: when my old man lived briefly in Letchworth, Herts. at the end of the 30s, he was a member of one such minstrel troupe.
Can't possibly argue with that!

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

brigham wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:29 am
On a similar note, didn't the television version of Double Your Money become a touring 'televised' stage show?
Or perhaps it started out that way?
Well, it did sort of tour the world with also locally transmitted tv specials in - the USSR (You got to give old Hugh some credit for pulling that off in the middle of the Cold War)- Japan- Israel and Australia and a few others.

JezR
625 lines

Post by JezR »

The stage show may have started as early as the Radio Luxembourg era of DYM.

Private Frazer
625 lines

Post by Private Frazer »

Someone has to mention maybe the most famous one, "Play it again, Sam" from Casablanca (Play it Sam).

Don't we all do it? My unfortunate misquote was "Good call Garth". Garth actually says "Good Call" to Wayne (for suggesting putting on Bohemian Rhapsody). Well the grandsons will never watch it anyway.
"Now listen you guys, I don't wish to alarm you but there's some pretty weird things going on out here..."

Brian F
625 lines

Post by Brian F »

I always thought in Casablanca it was "You played it for her you can play it for me. Play it" - with no name mentioned.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Brian F wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:32 am
I always thought in Casablanca it was "You played it for her you can play it for me. Play it" - with no name mentioned.
From https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/284700.html:
Bogart's supposed line from Casablanca. This is well-known as one of the most widely misquoted lines from films. The actual line in the film is 'Play it, Sam'. Something approaching 'Play it again, Sam' is first said in the film by Ilsa Lund (Ingrid Bergman) in an exchange with the piano player 'Sam' (Dooley Wilson):

Ilsa: Play it once, Sam. For old times' sake.
Sam: I don't know what you mean, Miss Ilsa.
Ilsa: Play it, Sam. Play "As Time Goes By."
Sam: Oh, I can't remember it, Miss Ilsa. I'm a little rusty on it.
Ilsa: I'll hum it for you. Da-dy-da-dy-da-dum, da-dy-da-dee-da-dum...
Ilsa: Sing it, Sam.

The line is usually associated with Humphrey Bogart and later in the film his character Rick Blaine has a similar exchange, although his line is simply 'Play it':

Rick: You know what I want to hear.
Sam: No, I don't.
Rick: You played it for her, you can play it for me!
Sam: Well, I don't think I can remember...
Rick: If she can stand it, I can! Play it!
Personally I prefer the Burkiss Way version:

[Piano music]
"Play it again, Sam".
"Why should I play it again? What was wrong with it the first time?"

Richard Charles Skryngestone
625 lines

Post by Richard Charles Skryngestone »

With Hollywood films, the oddest misquote has to be from The Empire Strikes Back. The widely misquoted "Luke, I am your father" would be an odd way of phrasing it after what came right before.

The other one is "Silence of the Lambs" where nothing like the "famous quote" was even stated in the scene where it was allegedly said.

Back to television, and there are two odd non-quotes from the Doctor Who serial 'The Time Meddler'. One is that it is stated in the serial that the Doctor and Peter Butterworth's character have never met before. This is particularly strange as the supposed scene occurred off-screen in an episode where Hartnell didn't appear.

The other was even misquoted in Doctor Who Magazine where the Doctor exclaims something like "To think a fellow Gallifreyan..."
Great News Inside, Chums!

625 lines

And if it's writing, then there are two misunderstandings.

One was mentioned on the old Forum. I had always believed that the "Buying a hi-fi" sketch had been written for Not The Nine O'Clock News, and was surprised to discover it was older than that.

The other is also a sketch most famously performed by Rowan Atkinson., in which he is a schoolteacher doing roll call. I had always assumed(as I'm sure many other people had as well) that that was one of Richard Curtis'. Only to find out years later it wasn't.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Richard Charles Skryngestone wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:45 am

One was mentioned on the old Forum. I had always believed that the "Buying a hi-fi" sketch had been written for Not The Nine O'Clock News, and was surprised to discover it was older than that.
Didn't that come from The Burkiss Way as well?

paul.austin
625 lines

Post by paul.austin »

It's the novelisation that gave fans of that era the impression that the Doctor's home planet had been named in The Time Meddler eight years earlier than it was on TV.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Brock wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:56 am
Richard Charles Skryngestone wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:45 am

Didn't that come from The Burkiss Way as well?
Yup. Lesson 33, "The Last Burkiss Way", 7/2/78 - "Buying a gramophone".

http://www.britishcomedy.org.uk/comedy/burkiss2.htm#33

625 lines

paul.austin wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:42 pm
It's the novelisation that gave fans of that era the impression that the Doctor's home planet had been named in The Time Meddler eight years earlier than it was on TV.
I first saw it in a Doctor Who Weekly/Magazine years before the novelisation came out.

paul.austin
625 lines

Post by paul.austin »

Didn't DWW/DWM in its early days claim that Katarina was a lot like Leela as well?