Bob Dylan and Catch the Wind

Film, stage, music, books and so on...
Don Satchley
625 lines

Bob Dylan and Catch the Wind

Post by Don Satchley »

I have a memory of Bob Dylan singing this Donovan song at some time but I cannot find any record of it. I thought it was in a movie maybe. I could of course be wrong and mistook Donovan for Dylan but listening to Donovan singing it I still think there is a possibility that Dylan did cover it. Does anyone here know if Bob Dylan sung it ever? Another possibility is that I heard a similar riff sung by Bob Dylan. Any Dylan fans out there that could enlighten me? Its been bugging me now for a while. Before anyone posts about Blowing in the Wind I should say that my recollection is not of that song.
Cheers
Don

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Re: Bob Dylan and Catch the Wind

Post by Simon Coward »

Don Satchley wrote:I have a memory of Bob Dylan singing this Donovan song at some time but I cannot find any record of it. I thought it was in a movie maybe. I could of course be wrong and mistook Donovan for Dylan but listening to Donovan singing it I still think there is a possibility that Dylan did cover it. Does anyone here know if Bob Dylan sung it ever? Another possibility is that I heard a similar riff sung by Bob Dylan. Any Dylan fans out there that could enlighten me? Its been bugging me now for a while. Before anyone posts about Blowing in the Wind I should say that my recollection is not of that song.
Cheers
Don
I could swear I've seen this fairly recently but on what I don't know. It doesn't feel long enough ago to be that documentary about Donovan which BBC Four showed... but what else it could have been on, I don't know. Of course that wouldn't be where it originated, but it might at least be a start.
We all have to eat a peck of dirt before we die.

Darren Fricker
405 lines

Post by Darren Fricker »

I'm not aware of a Dylan version of this song but the melody and phrasing of Donovan's version are so similar to the Dylan song, 'Chimes Of Freedom' that it could be a mis-remembering.

To throw things into the mix, Donovan appeared with Dylan in the film Dont Look Back [lack of apostrophe intended] but neither of those songs were in that scene [I can't remember if Chimes was elsewhere in the film, not seen it for years], more info here;

http://www.twentyfourbit.com/2011/04/pe ... n-donovan/

Update - a little googling found this old Dylan interview with mention of Catch / Chimes, which I *hadn't* seen before I suggested the similarity.

http://www.interferenza.com/bcs/interw/65-apr30.htm

John Williams
625 lines

Post by John Williams »

Donovan sings 'Catch the Wind' (at Dylan's request) in 'Don't Look Back'.

John Williams
625 lines

Post by John Williams »

John Williams wrote:Donovan sings 'Catch the Wind' (at Dylan's request) in 'Don't Look Back'.
That was early morning bollocks. He sings a different song in fact. But without watching the film again I think "Catch the Wind" might be heard on the radio at some point - Donovan seems to haunt Dylan on that tour and it's very funny when he actually turns up.