Thursday's Child (BBC 1973) - Found it!

Film, stage, music, books and so on...
Alice80
405 lines

Thursday's Child (BBC 1973) - Found it!

Post by Alice80 »

I've been looking for this for a while now...found it on a german DVD site...

I hope it's ok to link to the site:

http://www.pidax-film.de/product_info.p ... cts_id=434

It has german and english language versions and has the BBC logo on it. Any ideas why this isn't released in the UK? I've ordered it from German Ebay, but have bookmarked the publisher's site in case they can release anything else I'm looking for.

C'mon, only A Little Princess, Shoulder to Shoulder and Kizzy to find now (plus a long lost poster from Athena or Gallery Five by John Bauer, then I'm done...XD)

VintageFan
405 lines

Re: Thursday's Child (BBC 1973) - Found it!

Post by VintageFan »

Thanks for highlighting this Alice80. I loved that series.Hope that this company release some of the other BBC classic adaptations of that period.

Richard A
625 lines

Post by Richard A »

Yes, this is an interesting development on the part of Pidax. I've worked in Germany quite a bit during which time I picked up the language and become a fan of 50s/60s/70s German archive TV. I've long regarded Pidax as Network's counterpart in the German market. An company run by enthusiasts, they've released a lot of obscure and interesting stuff that other publishers don't seem prepared to bother with.

Thursday's Child was their first release licensed from the BBC and the first Pidax release with the original English soundtrack offered as an option (they have released Southern Television's Brendon Chase but with no English option). Their next BBC release is The Doll, a Durbridge serial from 1975. This is due on 04/10/13 and is also slated to have an English soundtrack, so I'm guessing that part of the licensing arrangements with the BBC includes the original soundtrack.

didi-5
625 lines

Post by didi-5 »

Thanks for the nod. I knew this was coming but it had slipped my mind. I liked the book a lot, will be interesting to see if it comes to life on the screen.

Great news about the Durbridge too :)

andrew baker
625 lines

Post by andrew baker »

Curious about "The Doll." Most Durbridge serials were remade in Germany, but not this one. It must have been sold as a dubbed version.

Richard A
625 lines

Post by Richard A »

Yes, the Germans certainly loved Durbridge, the tag line for their complete boxed set is "In England Francis Durbridge was successful, in Germany he was a phenomenon." So I don't know why they didn't make The Doll.

Here is a link to the official YT upload advertising the set. All in German, but worth a quick look for flavour and music.

Sorry for the OT-ness of mt post.

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Post by Simon Coward »

andrew baker wrote:Curious about "The Doll." Most Durbridge serials were remade in Germany, but not this one. It must have been sold as a dubbed version.
Yes, I think it was just the last few - "The Passenger", "The Doll" and the two "Breakaway" serials - where the BBC adaptations were shown in Germany.
We all have to eat a peck of dirt before we die.