The Hobbit

Film, stage, music, books and so on...
ctraynor
D-MAC

The Hobbit

Post by ctraynor »

Saw it last night with a friend at the nearest Cineworld, about half an hour down the motorway (not an unexpected journey but it was there and back again, ha ha), and liked it. As with LOTR the battle scenes dragged on and the physicalness wasn't realistic,ie characters falling what looked like miles down crevices and ending up just dazed. But overall it was a good one. Martin Freeman as the young Bilbo is a definite plus. James Nesbitt (was he Bifur or Bofur?) also added to things.

lovecraft
625 lines

Re: The Hobbit

Post by lovecraft »

Yeah, I liked it too. All the fair to middling reviews lowered my expectations and while it does not have the gravitas of the original trilogy there is still a lot to enjoy. Great turns from Freeman, Stott and McCoy in addition to the usual suspects. The only downside for me was the section in the underground troll kingdom with Barry Humphries....that didn't fly for me.....

David Plaice
405 lines

Post by David Plaice »

At the risk of starting another Skyfall polarisation I have to say I didn't think much of it, and I saw the 2D version which seems to be regarded as the safer bet. A lot happening most of the time but it was generally pointless, tension-free action which I found totally unengaging. Doesn't help that I now notice all the teal and orange in films (if I can still call them films) which sucks the life out of images. And, yes I did like all of the Lord of the Rings films. I'd intended to see the 3D HFR next but probably won't bother now.

ctraynor
D-MAC

Post by ctraynor »

David Plaice wrote:At the risk of starting another Skyfall polarisation I have to say I didn't think much of it, and I saw the 2D version which seems to be regarded as the safer bet. A lot happening most of the time but it was generally pointless, tension-free action which I found totally unengaging. Doesn't help that I now notice all the teal and orange in films (if I can still call them films) which sucks the life out of images. And, yes I did like all of the Lord of the Rings films. I'd intended to see the 3D HFR next but probably won't bother now.
I saw it in 2D as well, which I'm glad about.
Did you like the book? I can imagine how anyone who came to the whole thing fresh through the films might have their doubts about this new film with long stretches lacking action (as I said above there are things I don't like about it too) but I liked the way it stayed faithful to the book while using material which, to be fair, Tolkien himself wrote in other books, to pan it out. One or two lines didn't quite match the right light touch of the equivalent moments in the book and if they were going to spin out the trolls scene in the woods it needed to be scripted a bit more wittily, but, yes, I thought it was a good effort overall.

I liked Fellowship of the Ring but with the second and third LOTR films I thought the parts of the screenplay relating to the actors went through the motions to fit around the special effects and battles rather than bringing the characters of the Two Towers and Return of the King to life (for instance, the way Christopher Lee's Saruman was thrown away in the later stages of the films). I'm interested to see whether my biases in all this are confirmed by the second and third hobbit films.

I liked the way Saruman turned up briefly in the Hobbit, gently putting down the views of the other members of the White Council to put them off the scent. That matches the original books.

Not quite sure about Radagast and his Olympic rabbits though.

David Plaice
405 lines

Post by David Plaice »

I've read the book three or four times, the first in the early 70s when I was nine, the last about three years ago. And I loved it. In fact last time I was surprised at just how good it was, particularly the humour and the pacing and darkening of the story. Obviously aimed at children but it worked perfectly well as a novel.

So I was really looking forward to the film version but the humour seems to have been replaced with the slapstick of the unexpected party, a scene which dragged on and on. And for me the grading got in the way - orange candlelight? It looked like there was a socking great sodium street lamp outside. And while I enjoyed the story scenes - old ones like the trolls and Gollum and new ones like the White Council - the battle scenes were over-long and became tedious. The steroidal bunnies didn't help me to stay with it either. Strangely, it still managed to rattle along quite nicely and it certainly didn't feel like three hours but there was just no point at which I much cared what was happening.

I might give it another go with expectations lowered/changed and maybe get more out of it.

ctraynor
D-MAC

Post by ctraynor »

We think the same in a lot of areas.
Jackson is brilliant technically, as I guess directors have to be, but his scripts could do with an extra run-through in places to spice up some of the acting and dialogue. Tolkien deserves it.

Skiprat101
Baird 30-line Televisor

Post by Skiprat101 »

I thought the first 45 minutes were interminable - basically a long sequence of eating dinner and washing up. After that it livened up a bit, but overall felt like nothing new after LotR

ctraynor
D-MAC

Post by ctraynor »

In a way I suppose it wouldn't seem that new if it was a prequel. I think a lot of us Tolkien fans were watching to see which bits matched the books and which didn't.

Beaker
625 lines

Post by Beaker »

Saw it yesterday in good old fashioned 'non-migraine-o-vision' and really enjoyed it. Great stuff, some lovely humour and a treat for the eyes.

It could maybe have lost half an hour of running time as it was a strain on the bladder but otherwise it was six quid well spent.
If I were creating the world I wouldn't mess about with butterflies and daffodils. I would have started with lasers, eight o'clock, Day One!

Don Satchley
625 lines

Post by Don Satchley »

After my negative comments regarding Skyfall I am pleased to say that I really enjoyed The Hobbit. We saw it in 3D which was worth it especially for the Rivendell scenary shots and didn't detract from enjoyment of other bits at all. I agree that some will find it overly long but for me this was something to savour. I am a sucker for sticking to the book usually but I found the additions made helped build up the plot and were well considered. Really looking forward to the other installments.
Cheers
Don

Spiny Norman
D-MAC

Post by Spiny Norman »

Well, I'd expected worse. But still I wasn't quite satisfied with:
- some of the clichés added, like the "drop your weapons or your friend gets it".
- a few minutes of "Wildlife SOS" (about an ailing hedgehog) that the editor had accidentally pasted into the film
- given that they're halfway through the book, I wonder how the second half will be expanded into 2 movies?
- wow, Gandalf must really make good use of his frequent flyer program (this is the one issue that I can't possibly blame on peter jackson). Those eagles apparently have nothing better to do than stand by to play taxi whenever he can't manage to get to the shops in time.
This is nøt å signåture.™