Don Harper's TV Themes

Film, stage, music, books and so on...
The Wooksta!
405 lines

Don Harper's TV Themes

Post by The Wooksta! »

Long time MCs may remember a thread where I mentioned that I'd heard some of Don Harper's score for the Doctor Who story "The Invasion" used in an episode of Special Branch (All the King's Men by Trevor Preston, late series 3). Actually, this is it: http://www.mausoleumclubforum.org.uk/xm ... #pid267085

IIRC, I mentioned this over on the Doctor Who Restoration Team forum and the suggestion that it was the same music was poo-pooed.

However, I think I may have discovered where the music used in the Special Branch episode came from. I did a search for Don Harper on You Tube and came up with track called Troubled Mind - Torment, from an album by Don Harper under the London Music Group banner.

This is the feller: http://www.librarymusicinfo.com/612/new ... dwlp-3141/

Quick search on ebay revealed a copy for sale. On vinyl and for £20 notes, a bit steep perhaps but AFAIK, it's not been released since 1969. In addition, the seller had some sound clips from it and sure enough, they're very like the music from The Invasion.

Well, I'm now 20 odd notes lighter and eagerly awaiting the arrival of this piece of vinyl. Soon, I may be able this whole thing to rest

Shit title, I know, but best I could come up with!
"It's basically a cure... for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac... the potential market's enormous!"

Mark
Committee

Re: Don Harper's TV Themes

Post by Mark »

Also used in "Dawn Of The Dead" apparrently, as it also used some stock music.

Haven't seen it though, not keen on Rom-Coms..!
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

AndrewP
625 lines

Post by AndrewP »

I seem to recall that the theme tune to LWT's "The Inside Man" was one of the incidental cues from "The Invasion".

All the best

Andrew

The Wooksta!
405 lines

Post by The Wooksta! »

It also seems to be popular for samples for the UK Grime scene - I've found two or three on the tube of You.

Robin Carmody may know more about it than anyone else here.
"It's basically a cure... for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac... the potential market's enormous!"

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

It's odd hearing familiar music elsewhere, like the "Callan" theme in an episode of "Riviera Police".

Tilt Araiza
405 lines

Post by Tilt Araiza »

The Callan theme turns up in an episode of Mr. Rose, too. I'm not sure, but on the episode it sounds a bit like a mistake. The incidental music on the scene is Mystery Project from the library LP An Eye For An Eye. It plays right to the end, there's a pause and then the next track on the LP kicks in, Girl In The Dark, the Callan theme, it sounds like someone was asleep at the fader (and the first series of Callan had already come and gone by the time of the Rose episode in question).

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

It was deliberate on "Riviera Police", as it was pre-"Callan", but you could well be right, with "Mr Rose", mistakes do happen.

Alan Hayes
625 lines

Post by Alan Hayes »

AndrewP wrote:I seem to recall that the theme tune to LWT's "The Inside Man" was one of the incidental cues from "The Invasion".
Hi Andrew,

It's very similar to parts of the score for The Invasion, but I think it's actually a different piece, IIRC.

Best,

Alan

Simon Mclean
405 lines

Post by Simon Mclean »

The Wooksta! wrote:Quick search on ebay revealed a copy for sale. On vinyl and for £20 notes, a bit steep perhaps but AFAIK, it's not been released since 1969.
£20's a good price for 'New Decade' - I've never seen it as cheap as that (If I had, I'd have a copy by now!)

Anyone know why Don Harper seems to have changed his name to Don Jackson at some point in the 1990s?

The Wooksta!
405 lines

Post by The Wooksta! »

There's another copy, from the same trader I got mine for £29.99 Buy it Now.

It's arrived, but I need to do some searching for my mixer - can't listen to the players I've got (Technics SL1210 mk2) without it.