Judge Dredd [IDW]

From Buster to Wizard (I couldn't think of any comics beginning with 'A' and 'Z'...)
Mr_Wolf
Potentate in Perpetuity

Judge Dredd [IDW]

Post by Mr_Wolf »

Not strictly a British comic, but has anyone tried the new IDW re-versioning of Judge Dredd yet?

Stop quoting the law. We have swords.

Bodie
625 lines

Re: Judge Dredd [IDW]

Post by Bodie »

I'm waiting for the first trade collection which is due in April next year.

Some of the cover art looks particularly sumptious though!
http://2000ad.wordpress.com/2012/10/16/ ... dge-dredd/
http://2000ad.wordpress.com/2012/12/04/ ... -year-one/
http://2000ad.wordpress.com/2012/11/22/ ... -from-idw/

Also of interest is the annual "2000AD Advent calendar" where members of the 2000AD forum take turns to post cartoons etc each day in the lead-up to Christmas. It occasionally has a forum in-joke but there is some brilliant work there including Cadbury Dredds and a 25 page Dredd strip being posted a page a day:
http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.ph ... 527.0.html

Mr_Wolf
Potentate in Perpetuity

Post by Mr_Wolf »

Some are nice but a good few are meh. The retailer-specific variants I felt compelled to buy are particularly amateurish.

Bodie
625 lines

Post by Bodie »

The ones I like best are by Greg Staples, who is one of Tharg's regular droids i.e. UK talent.

IDW have also announced some hardback reprints (Bolland & Ezquerra) which are meant to be oversized and in colour. Amazon put up the cover art for the Bolland title yesterday (and cancelled it off my order as 'unobtainable' this morning...). They are also bringing out a "Judge Dredd Year One" title which will be the early days of Dredd on the streets.

Mr_Wolf
Potentate in Perpetuity

Post by Mr_Wolf »

Hear that? That's the sound of my wallet screaming...

Bodie
625 lines

Post by Bodie »

If it sounds like it's in stereo, that'll be mine joining in.

Beaker
625 lines

Post by Beaker »

Nope, not yet. I might pop up to Nostalgia & Comics next Sunday and see if I can pick some up.

I assume this is to catch some of the trade from those who have seen the, rather awesome, film just like they did with the 'Lawman of the Future' comic when the Stallone movie came out.

BTW the triple-header Mega city strips in the recent 2000ad run has been utterly brilliant.
If I were creating the world I wouldn't mess about with butterflies and daffodils. I would have started with lasers, eight o'clock, Day One!

zippyfan
405 lines

Post by zippyfan »

I have it and i loved the first issue. Looking forward to the second whenever thats due. The Shield cover of issue 1 was beautiful.

Beaker
625 lines

Post by Beaker »

Got a copy. I’m not over-impressed.

The stories don’t really feel like Dredd stories to me, maybe the writers need to re-read some of the old classics. Good intro to MC-1 at the start, but after that…a big bucket of ‘Meh!’

And why is the Dredd in the second story wearing the uniform from the Stallone movie? Most odd. Has this been sat in a dusty corner somewhere since 1995 or did the artist use the movie as a reference. Very shoddy.
If I were creating the world I wouldn't mess about with butterflies and daffodils. I would have started with lasers, eight o'clock, Day One!

Mr_Wolf
Potentate in Perpetuity

Post by Mr_Wolf »

It didn't impress me overmuch either, unfortunately. The problem is I've been collecting 2000AD since prog 1 so there's now a bred-in compulsion for me to pick this stuff up.

Beaker
625 lines

Post by Beaker »

Issue 86 onwards here as I came on board with StarLord. (I do have every issue and related annuals/summer specials etc.,)

I’ve drawn a line at the Megazine, though, I did but about the first year’s worth but can’t really justify the expense and only pick them up if I see them 2nd hand anywhere now.

This is on my Christmas list…but I’m not holding my breath….

http://webshop.planetreplicas.com/epage ... ULL01-0003