Judge Dredd partworks

From Buster to Wizard (I couldn't think of any comics beginning with 'A' and 'Z'...)
Cole
625 lines

Judge Dredd partworks

Post by Cole »

Anyone out there going to collect the Judge Dredd partworks that were released this month? I've picked up the first couple of issues, but I simply won't be able to afford to collect the whole set - or really have the space for them.

Or are these partworks a rip-off and there are far better value Judge Dredd collections to be found?

Beaker
625 lines

Re: Judge Dredd partworks

Post by Beaker »

I bought the first one as it was only £1.99 but won’t be collecting the rest. I have all of the stories in the original issues anyway.

Nicely packaged and printed but I did find it odd that they started with ‘America’. A classic story but I’d have gone with something a bit more typically, well...Dredd. That said, a newbie Dredd fan friend of mine, just gone 20, was exploding with excitement about subscribing. Which was nice.

I should imagine the newbie Dredd collector would be far better off investing in The Complete Case Files from number one which offers all of the stories in order.

It is about time they released the old progs digitally for the space-conscious. I have about the first 300 this way to avoid de-bagging the physical copies when I wish to read one, but an official release would be most welcome.
If I were creating the world I wouldn't mess about with butterflies and daffodils. I would have started with lasers, eight o'clock, Day One!

Cole
625 lines

Post by Cole »

I wouldn't call myself a Dredd newbie, but I will admit to dropping out in the mid/late-eighties, so I might even have a look at The Complete Case Files myself as, if this partwork has achieved anything, it has re-kindled my interest in the series and I want to read more of the stuff I missed.

I also agree about using 'America' as the first issue as Dredd was largely missing and the style was totally different from the style that I remembered, but then it appeared to have been lifted from the more adult Dredd magazine, which I only got the first issue of, and not 2000AD.

Beaker
625 lines

Post by Beaker »

Yeah, America was in the Megazine from issue one, I think.

I have about the first couple of years of the Megazine and a consecutive run of about a years’ worth from a later date, even though I have every 2000ad, Tornado, Starlord and every single annual, special and spin-off, you have to draw the line somewhere.

The collected runs are a good idea, you can buy and read them at your own pace and put them on Christmas and birthday lists!
If I were creating the world I wouldn't mess about with butterflies and daffodils. I would have started with lasers, eight o'clock, Day One!

Cole
625 lines

Post by Cole »

Having just picked up a copy the first of the Titan re-printed Doctor Who comic at £3.99, the Judge Dredd partworks, at £9.99 appears to be good value after all.

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

Post by Nick Cooper 625 »

It's a shame that the out-of-court settlement included an agreement never to reprint the contentious Cursed Earth installments, as there's now a parody exception in UK copyright law.
"Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo." [Wells]

Cole
625 lines

Post by Cole »

Nick Cooper 625 wrote:It's a shame that the out-of-court settlement included an agreement never to reprint the contentious Cursed Earth installments, as there's now a parody exception in UK copyright law.
Very much so; thankfully, I've still got the 1994 Titan books release, which I believe is intact.

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

Cole wrote:
Nick Cooper 625 wrote:It's a shame that the out-of-court settlement included an agreement never to reprint the contentious Cursed Earth installments, as there's now a parody exception in UK copyright law.
Very much so; thankfully, I've still got the 1994 Titan books release, which I believe is intact.
You sure? I thought every reprint was missing the "offending" installments.

Cole
625 lines

Post by Cole »

Nick Cooper 625 wrote:
Cole wrote:
You sure? I thought every reprint was missing the "offending" installments.
Oh don't say that! I was under the impression that the court case was after the Titan release; a little searching has proven that this isn't the case and the Titan books' version won't be intact after all. Expletive!

As an aside, I own an original page of The Cursed Earth story. Chapter nineteen, page four - Dredd discovers the Vegas Hall of Justice. In the last panel, the God-Judge is sentencing a member of the league against gambling. The printed version has the God-Judge say, "Jus'-a one minute..." but on the original he says "Jus'-a one stinking minute...", although the word stinking is covered over.

I've always wondered why the word 'stinking' was removed from the printed version as it isn't offensive, plus it leaves a bit of a gap in the speech bubble.

Cole
625 lines

Post by Cole »

Just to follow-up: I've abandoned this partworks as too many issues, thus far, haven't featured Judge Dredd. I've gone over to digital downloads of The Complete Case Files instead.

jubbely
405 lines

Post by jubbely »

I started from a zero base and the complete case works are really excellent, am up to number 5 so far. Recommended.

Cole
625 lines

Post by Cole »

jubbely wrote:I started from a zero base and the complete case works are really excellent, am up to number 5 so far. Recommended.
About halfway through the first book. Enjoying the early stuff very much.

Cole
625 lines

Post by Cole »

Judge Dredd: The Cursed Earth Uncensored to be published July 2016.

http://downthetubes.net/?p=26674

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

It seems by observation from May 2015 was correct, and they are indeed relying on the "parody exception." It's interesting to note that there are clear differences between how various bits of McDonalds iconography - and indeed the spellign of the name - differ in the Dredd strip, although it's not much of a disguise.

Funnily enough, my sister worked in mid-level management for McDonalds in the early-1980s, and when I showed her the installements, she said the portrayal of the company was hilarious and scarily true.