Didn't like it much then but like it now.....70's tv

What's not currently on the box
bill
405 lines

Didn't like it much then but like it now.....70's tv

Post by bill »

Apologies if there has been a similar thread in recent times...but in my case a few 70's progs come to mind.

The Zoo Gang [1974]......post 'The Persuaders!' everything was a downer....even the great theme and glossy French
riviera locations didn't grab me.....just a bunch of old people playing detective didn't do it for me. Now I love it and
wish [Like The Persuaders!] there had been a 2nd season. The cast don't seem quite so old these days!

The Professionals......Never warmed to Bodie and Doyle back then...and even less so to their CI5 boss!
In very recent years and thanks mainly to ITV4 I really got to enjoy the banter between the 2 leads, they really were
good. Bodie even wore Danny Wildes jacket!! Lots of 'gritty' London locations too. Gordon Jackson was good too.
I plan to get the new DVD release end of march.

Dr. Who......OK I know it started in the 60's.....but as a kid it did nothing for me. Much preferred STAR TREK...I know this might cause 'outrage' among some here!!
When the show was revived in the naughties, I watched Chris Eccleston and David Tennant as Dr. Who with my own
kids and enjoyed it quite a lot.

Only fools and horses......I think this was more 80's than 70's..but anyway I much preferred Arfur Daley and Tel's cockney antics or Stan & Jack in On the buses than to Del boy and Rodney. Warmed to Only fools recently though, again mainly thanks to repeats.

Ian Wegg
625 lines

Re: Didn't like it much then but like it now.....70's tv

Post by Ian Wegg »

I absolutely agree about The Zoo Gang. I gave up after one or two episodes when it was originally shown but bought the DVD on a whim a few years ago and loved it.

Controller 2957
625 lines

Post by Controller 2957 »

Public Eye - Technically a '60s series but my folks started watching from the Brighton series onwards. Dull as ditch water to a seven year-old but now in my top-ten all time series. Superb!

Freewheelers - Another series originating in the 1960s but came to my notice in the '70s. For some reason it just didn't grab me and when I was given a set of DVDs of season 6 to review I went into it fearing the worst... Okay, it's formulaic and relies on co-incidence to a ridiculous degree but it's fun to watch and has plenty of pace.

Survivors - Something the old man used to watch. Again, to young eyes it was dull - discussions and farming. My turning point with this came when I discovered I lived in the same village as contributor Don Shaw which prompted me to look out the videos... My conversion was a rapid one!

At the other end of the scale 'Love they Neighbour, 'Nearest and Dearest, 'Not on Your Nelly', 'On the Buses' which used to reduce me to tears of laughter now cause claw toes.
You see, no-one... NO-ONE escapes the new world!!

The Official Timeslip Website
http://www.timeslip.org.uk

bill
405 lines

Post by bill »

Ian - agreed re The Zoo Gang.

Controller.....thanks for reminding about Public Eye.....as a boy thought it unbelievably dull.....I've been meaning to
watch it in recent years though. All I remember is a dull theme, a swinging light bulb and Alfred Burke's 'Columbo' rain coat. I'm fairly confident I'd find it more interesting now. Must get round to watching it.

Not familiar with Freewheelers/Survivors.

Still love ON THE BUSES but the other comedies mentioned I didnt care for then and still don't.

Richard A
625 lines

Post by Richard A »

I think the swinging light bulb that you remember would have been from Callan - which, for me, would fit this thread as I was just a little too young to get it first time round, but really enjoy now.

bill
405 lines

Post by bill »

Yes nice one Richard.....thanks for putting me right on that old swinging light bulb! Indeed CALLAN was another one.
I'd like to see this now in my dotage!
I liked Ed Woodward in the 80's series The Equaliser!! [or should that be a Z Zee in there?].

Bernie
D-MAC

Post by Bernie »

Following on from this thread and the Network sale I just watched the first Callan, the Armchair Theatre. I haven't seen it before, unless on the original transmission.

I've preached for many years that the story is the thing, mostly to production trainees of one sort or another, and this is a case in point. Shot in a medium sized studio at Teddington with only interiors and half a dozen sets it has just as much tension as modern stuff costing maybe fifty times as much in equivalent money. Yes, it's monochrome, and yes, I can hear the lens changes now and then - but a good story is a good story.

B

ctraynor
D-MAC

Post by ctraynor »

I still intend to get round to the old Callans. I've got the 1974 film version which was a remake of the pilot play A Magnum for Schneider. Do you know how the two compare, apart from technical values?

I never took hugely to Dr Who - The Sea Devils at the time, possibly because I missed a lot of the early part of the story, whether through social stuff involving visiting relatives or something, or power cuts. I've liked it an awful lot better in the years since, especially the trapped-on-the-sea-fort stuff in the first two episodes.

Bernie
D-MAC

Post by Bernie »

ctraynor wrote:I still intend to get round to the old Callans. I've got the 1974 film version which was a remake of the pilot play A Magnum for Schneider. Do you know how the two compare, apart from technical values?
No, because I've only seen the older one.

B

manticore
405 lines

Post by manticore »

Controller 2957 wrote:Public Eye - Technically a '60s series but my folks started watching from the Brighton series onwards. Dull as ditch water to a seven year-old but now in my top-ten all time series. Superb!

Freewheelers - Another series originating in the 1960s but came to my notice in the '70s. For some reason it just didn't grab me and when I was given a set of DVDs of season 6 to review I went into it fearing the worst... Okay, it's formulaic and relies on co-incidence to a ridiculous degree but it's fun to watch and has plenty of pace.

Survivors - Something the old man used to watch. Again, to young eyes it was dull - discussions and farming. My turning point with this came when I discovered I lived in the same village as contributor Don Shaw which prompted me to look out the videos... My conversion was a rapid one!

At the other end of the scale 'Love they Neighbour, 'Nearest and Dearest, 'Not on Your Nelly', 'On the Buses' which used to reduce me to tears of laughter now cause claw toes.
cant agree.having seen all these sitcoms again in the last few years,i find them funnier than any sitcom on the go these days.all brilliant.

bill
405 lines

Post by bill »

I'm still dithering here.....wondering wether to get Public Eye or Callan first!
Was Public Eye also made at Teddington studios too?
Can't remember any London location scenes in either series[admittedly I watched
very little of either show], but I'm guessing they were mostly studio based and low budget.

Bernie
D-MAC

Post by Bernie »

I got round to opening my Public Eye DVD pack yesterday and they won't play on this computer. Callan works fine.

I have try some experiments on other machines next and try to work out the problem.

B

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

bill wrote:I'm still dithering here.....wondering wether to get Public Eye or Callan first!
Was Public Eye also made at Teddington studios too?
Can't remember any London location scenes in either series[admittedly I watched
very little of either show], but I'm guessing they were mostly studio based and low budget.
Both series featured the usual mix of studio/location, with "Public Eye" moving about a bit during it's run, budget is immaterial, both shows wipe the floor with anything made today, sheer class.!
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

bill
405 lines

Post by bill »

Thanks Mark....will go for Public Eye first methinks.

Kieran Seymour
405 lines

Post by Kieran Seymour »

Bernie wrote:I got round to opening my Public Eye DVD pack yesterday and they won't play on this computer. Callan works fine.

I have try some experiments on other machines next and try to work out the problem.
Network's discs seem to very temperamental when it comes to using them on a computer - I've seen some speculation in the past that it's additional files like PDF documents that cause the problem.

Personally I've never been able to get my hands on the odds-and-ends with the Goodies at LWT set, and The Georgian House is even worse because there's only three of the seven episodes left and I can't manage to access the scripts and documents that cover the missing ones. Complete pain.

I've a feeling the 1969 Public Eye set has some PDFs as well, so that could well be the problem.

bill
405 lines

Post by bill »

Another series to add to my first post is -

The Protectors - as mentioned previously all ITC shows post Persuaders! failed to really grab my attention, such as
The Zoo Gang and The Protectors. Had time recently to view The Protectors DVD box set I got from a friend few years back.
So far seen episodes 1-8. Tonight watched 'A kind of wild justice' with some good London locations and guest star Anna Palk. Was never keen on the 30minute format when it came to ITC shows, but I've quite enjoyed watching this series. Picture quality is quite good, I also like the theme tune/opening titles. Though it's hard to warm to the charisma free Harry Rule character, Nyree Dawn Porter as Contessa Caroline Di Contini is very watchable. To be fair to Robert Vaughan, The Man from Uncle was one of my earliest tv memories, and he is still working....currently on stage in the West End. The fight scenes are hilarious, and Harry's personal computer in his groovy London pad [complete with Oriental maid Suki!] fills half the room. Lots of nice locations....Paris, Spain etc, but still some back projection of course! Surprised to see Henry MacGee guest star in one episode.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Both " The Adventurer" and "The Protectors", are highly watchable, but the 30 min format doesn't do them any favours, it has to be said!

bill
405 lines

Post by bill »

Agreed Mark, but at least it looks like The Protectors was made using 35mm unlike the inferior 16mm film used in The Adventurer [somebody might correct me on this point!!]. Robert Vaughan currently appearing in 'Twelve Angry men' at London's Garrick Theatre.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

"The Protectors" was 16mm as well, it just scrubbed up well, on DVD release.

"Jason King" was 16mm, and that looked ghastly, too, great show though.

bill
405 lines

Post by bill »

Cheers for the correction Mark! Yes I have The Adventurer dvd and have also seen Jason King......really poor picture on both.

Private Frazer
D-MAC

Post by Private Frazer »

bill wrote:Another series to add to my first post is -

The Protectors - as mentioned previously all ITC shows post Persuaders! failed to really grab my attention, such as
The Zoo Gang and The Protectors. Had time recently to view The Protectors DVD box set I got from a friend few years back.
So far seen episodes 1-8. Tonight watched 'A kind of wild justice' with some good London locations and guest star Anna Palk. Was never keen on the 30minute format when it came to ITC shows, but I've quite enjoyed watching this series. Picture quality is quite good, I also like the theme tune/opening titles. Though it's hard to warm to the charisma free Harry Rule character, Nyree Dawn Porter as Contessa Caroline Di Contini is very watchable. To be fair to Robert Vaughan, The Man from Uncle was one of my earliest tv memories, and he is still working....currently on stage in the West End. The fight scenes are hilarious, and Harry's personal computer in his groovy London pad [complete with Oriental maid Suki!] fills half the room. Lots of nice locations....Paris, Spain etc, but still some back projection of course! Surprised to see Henry MacGee guest star in one episode.
I'm a big fan of ITC show The Protectors, although I don't remember watching it in the early 1970's (maybe I saw a few). I just watched 'A Kind of Wild Justice' again and it's a good plot as it gives all three some kind of a role. I like how Paul gets the car info, Caroline sees what is going on and Harry just takes risks. Harry's strength is gambling on people's reactions; sometimes with and sometimes without charisma! I love the bit with the three of them on their way to finding out what's going on; they're not often that close together in solving a case! The characters, settings and the music backing make this very entertaining for me. The episode 'Balance of Terror' is still one of my favourites; I'm always interested in any impressions of the show. As far as I know Season 2 still hasn't got a decent episode guide.
"Now listen you guys, I don't wish to alarm you but there's some pretty weird things going on out here..."

bill
405 lines

Post by bill »

Will get round to viewing episodes 9 - 16 this week hopefully.

Mickey
625 lines

Post by Mickey »

Always just a bit disappointed in "The Protectors". Part of it is the half hour format, which doesn't give cases the chance to get started. My other gripe is the gross under use of Tony Anholt. I appreciate that it was intended as a vehicle for Robert Vaughn, but there are times when Anholt might just as well not be there - and, indeed, many a time when he isn't. They needed to make up their minds whether it was supposed to be a trio or just a duo; or even just a one-man brigade. Again, the half hour format doesn't help there, as there isn't time to allow all three characters to have a share in the action.

A good idea, but over all I would have to call it something of a misfire.

bill
405 lines

Post by bill »

I generally agree regarding the half hour format for ITC shows Mickey.....though I am starting to 'like' The Protectors..maybe it's just the ITC feel to the show, the locations, London, Paris, Roma, Spain etc, and familiar
ITC guests and some surprise guests too such as Henry McGee, James Bolam etc.
Of the three main characters the Contessa is most watchable, Harry is still kind of a charisma free zone and Paul doesn't feature as much as you said. Not a great chemistry between them it has to be said. The fight scenes are nowhere near as good [I'm being diplomatic here!] as most other ITC shows....comical but not meant to be[unlike say some of the fights in The Persuaders!]. Nevertheless, I'm enjoying the show, never thought I would!

Mickey
625 lines

Post by Mickey »

It's certainly very watchable, although it does have some pretty bad low points. And yes, a good guest cast. I enjoyed seeing Paul Jones pop up, and there's also a young David Suchet. As you say, the Contessa gives value for money. I haven't seen much of Nyree Dawn Porter's work, but she's somebody I've kept an eye out for since. I've heard it said that Robert Vaughn wasn't at all happy with the show, which might be why he doesn't come across as well as usual. A shame, as he's usually so dependable. As is Tony Anholt when he's given the chance!

It's odd, because I came to very much enjoy the half hour format of "The Bill", at least in the early days. They would often use multiple characters, and even multiple storylines, very effectively. It really doesn't work here though. The plots are more like longer ones chopped down.

Private Frazer
D-MAC

Post by Private Frazer »

The fights can be realistic in that the outcome isn't always predictable, as when a man turns on The Contessa while they fence in the episode where they are all in danger from someone wanting to get rid of The Protectors. There's another one where Chino fights about four men very well and the outcome there wasn't for me predictable.

I think Harry Rule and the Contessa Caroline are good colleagues in The Protectors. There's a promotion shot of Robert Vaughn standing next to Nyree Dawn Porter on a horse (maybe from the episode Chase) where he's not smiling as much as he might have; maybe pretty equally famous actors rarely hit it off. In his Autobiography, A Fortunate Life, he only mentions the show in passing (a pity) as he remembers meeting someone once on loctaion shooting. But I read somewhere that Robert Vaughn isn't as critical of The protectors as he was for while and, If so, I'm pleased about that because it's one of my favourites.

There are also lots of little touches that make it very rewatchable, as you say spotting other ITC stars, or the cameo from Sherwood Price in The Numbers Game. Above all when I watch an episode I'm getting 25 minutes of action TV accompanied by really engaging music.
"Now listen you guys, I don't wish to alarm you but there's some pretty weird things going on out here..."

ctraynor
D-MAC

Post by ctraynor »

The Protectors approached its strongest in the episode Shadbolt, focusing on just one of the characters, Harry Rule. Location shooting in Edinburgh to boot. Not at all Cote d'Azur.

bill
405 lines

Post by bill »

In my humble I find many of the fight scenes laughable Private, though Chino definately seems to be able to hold his own! In episode 9 or 10 he even gets a sentence of dialogue to the Contessa! [Unlike Harry's housemaid, Suki!].
I was so pee'd off after The Persuaders![not getting a 2nd season] I thought no other pairing would have the same chemistry as Curtis+Moore........Maybe I'm enjoying The Protectors so much now, so many years later just because of nostalgia, it's still a reminder of a more innocent age and a great era of tv. The picture quality is pretty good for 16mm, and this helps too. The Adventurer and Jason King are poor quality in comparison.

Private Frazer
D-MAC

Post by Private Frazer »

Well I really don't find the fighting laughable; we'll just have to differ. I can't watch the episode Quin without getting emotional for Caroline's safety - there's nothing funny about that situation!

Suki has a few lines such as when she asks Harry if she should wrap up a toy for his son, or tells Harry he's improving after doing a Cato-like attack on him, or answers the phone.

The 1970's were my teenage years so it's nostalgia for me too.
ctraynor wrote:The Protectors approached its strongest in the episode Shadbolt, focusing on just one of the characters, Harry Rule. Location shooting in Edinburgh to boot. Not at all Cote d'Azur.
Shadbolt is quite good. The Avengerland website has all the Edinburgh locations and I'd love to go round them for photos sometime.

marsey
625 lines

Post by marsey »

80s not 70s , but I really enjoyued Robin of Sherwood as an adult in the 90s rather than as a teenager when first broadcast.

One series I've never got round to watching was The Sweeney. Too young to watch it in the 70s, I'm a big fn of Dennis Waterman (from his Minder days) so I'm sure I would like this; has it aged well?