BBC Archive for sale

What's not currently on the box
Don Satchley
625 lines

Re: BBC Archive for sale

Post by Don Satchley »

I just had a punt at Blackadder 2 even though I have it on a few formats. I was disappointed at the quality though, even when played through iplayer. I won't be duplicating any more stuff that I already own on other formats as a result. New stuff is slow to come out at the moment. Hopefully it will get better.

marsey
625 lines

Post by marsey »

Simon36 wrote:There is a New to Store module on the home page immediately under the carousel. Although currently this is just a selection of new additions.
-=

Thanks for the tip. Just have to hope that what they think is worth highlighting is what I think too!

marsey
625 lines

Post by marsey »

The site in my opinion is appalling. It's not exactly easy to find, and when you do it's a nightmare to navigate. Considering how much great stuff the Beeb has put out over the years, the selection is paltry, and if they continue to dripfeed stuff every now and then we'll all be dead and buried before some of the stuff we want is out.

A great opportunity to make a bit of cash for the Corporation, esp now that it is desperately needed, but I think better marketing is a must.

The Black Nun
625 lines

Post by The Black Nun »

I did some calculations and at their present rate of 3500 hours of uploads a year it would take 171 years to upload the entire television archive. And that doesn't take into account all the new programming which must constantly be added.

What sounded so exciting a few years ago has turned out to be a massive disappointment. Unless they do something drastic, the chances of seeing your most wanted show appearing on BBC Store are probably an order of magnitude lower than seeing it on dvd one day. I'm bummed.

Darren Fricker
405 lines

Post by Darren Fricker »

Is anyone else having difficulty downloading under Windows 10 ?

I initially installed the desktop downloader prog but this refuses to do anything apart from tell me to go to the Windows store and download the Win 10 app version instead.

I dutifully did this, hit the download button (which seemed to do something - albeit slowly) but when it finished with, 'on this device', it didn't seem to be on my PC anywhere (there was nowhere in settings to indicate the file path or allow me to change the file path).

I re-started the app and was given the download option all over again...

Don Satchley
625 lines

Post by Don Satchley »

When you "download" it a video file appears in your Appdata folder. Trouble is, it is encoded and as such cannot be stored on an external HDD easily. There are ways around this but it is unsatisfactory really as the term "download" has been misused in this case imho.

GarethR
HD

Post by GarethR »

marsey wrote:Considering how much great stuff the Beeb has put out over the years, the selection is paltry, and if they continue to dripfeed stuff every now and then we'll all be dead and buried before some of the stuff we want is out
The obvious issue here is that it costs money to clear stuff for sale - it also costs money to research whether something is actually clearable or not. That's inevitably going to limit how much old stuff is put up there, and how quickly. The more the store sells, the more likely it is that unusual old stuff will appear.

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Post by Simon Coward »

The Black Nun wrote:I did some calculations and at their present rate of 3500 hours of uploads a year it would take 171 years to upload the entire television archive. And that doesn't take into account all the new programming which must constantly be added.
Are you including the new programming in that calculation, or just archive material?
We all have to eat a peck of dirt before we die.

The Black Nun
625 lines

Post by The Black Nun »

Simon Coward wrote:
The Black Nun wrote:I did some calculations and at their present rate of 3500 hours of uploads a year it would take 171 years to upload the entire television archive. And that doesn't take into account all the new programming which must constantly be added.
Are you including the new programming in that calculation, or just archive material?
They said they'll be uploading 3500 hours over the next year. But I guess a hefty chunk of that will be new programming. The overwhelming impression I'm getting is that this is chiefly a way to flog new productions as soon as they appear and are fresh in people's minds. The older stuff mostly seems to be things that have already been cleared for dvd and cost little or nothing to add to the store eg Casanova, Bleak House, Cathy Come Home, Dads Army etc. The posts on the twitter and facebook feeds too are very discouraging, full of idiotic posts from people excited that Black Adder is available, as if it hasn't been on vhs and dvd for thirty years.
Darren Fricker wrote: I initially installed the desktop downloader prog but this refuses to do anything apart from tell me to go to the Windows store and download the Win 10 app version instead.

I dutifully did this, hit the download button (which seemed to do something - albeit slowly) but when it finished with, 'on this device', it didn't seem to be on my PC anywhere (there was nowhere in settings to indicate the file path or allow me to change the file path).

I re-started the app and was given the download option all over again...
I haven't downloaded but only streamed (which is extremely iffy and unpredictable) but maybe you have to go through the website or Iplayer. There's a "My Programmes" tab which lists stuff you've bought.

marsey
625 lines

Post by marsey »

GarethR wrote:
marsey wrote:Considering how much great stuff the Beeb has put out over the years, the selection is paltry, and if they continue to dripfeed stuff every now and then we'll all be dead and buried before some of the stuff we want is out
The obvious issue here is that it costs money to clear stuff for sale - it also costs money to research whether something is actually clearable or not. That's inevitably going to limit how much old stuff is put up there, and how quickly. The more the store sells, the more likely it is that unusual old stuff will appear.
Agreed, but you'd at least think they could put on there the stuff available from their DVD library - including some of the US stuff that we don't get like Shadow of the Tower.