Newreaders hang to the left?

What's currently on the box
Razor Eddie
625 lines

Newreaders hang to the left?

Post by Razor Eddie »

In broadcasting circles, the so-called “camera left” position signals seniority, with viewers – conditioned by a lifetime of reading from left to right – believed to subliminally associate the left-most presenter with pre-eminence.
Really?
Contents may settle after packing.

Callan | The Hanged Man | Turtle's Progress | Kiwi TV

Ian Dickerson
405 lines

Re: Newreaders hang to the left?

Post by Ian Dickerson »

Yes, but it's nothing to do with reading from left to right. More to do with the infuence of Stealers Wheel; "clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right..."

Roll ACR
625 lines

Post by Roll ACR »

Nonsense, you only have to watch Naga Munchetty on "Breakfast" to realise screen position is irrelevant. She's got the programme by the scruff of the neck whoever she's sat next to. Plus, she doesn't wear "brightly coloured dresses". She's refreshingly anti-glam and very highly skilled.

I must confess to being rather mystified by the appointment of Dan though, he's lacklustre at best but inoffensive I guess.

This hooh-hah is the usual chorus of clap-trap egged on by dear old Miriam who, IMHO is the last person who should be given any credence.

Beaker
625 lines

Post by Beaker »

Roll ACR wrote:Nonsense, you only have to watch Naga Munchetty on "Breakfast" to realise screen position is irrelevant. She's got the programme by the scruff of the neck whoever she's sat next to. Plus, she doesn't wear "brightly coloured dresses". She's refreshingly anti-glam and very highly skilled.

I must confess to being rather mystified by the appointment of Dan though, he's lacklustre at best but inoffensive I guess.
Agreed. We think Naga Munchetty is great, the best breakfast TV presenter by a country mile and probably doesn't get the credit she deserves.

The new bloke, though, is almost entirely devoid of personality.
If I were creating the world I wouldn't mess about with butterflies and daffodils. I would have started with lasers, eight o'clock, Day One!

Bob Richardson
625 lines

Post by Bob Richardson »

Beaker wrote:
He'll only be working Mon-Sat. As a practising Christian there's apparently a clause in his contract which says he does not have to work on the Sabbath. That was also the case during his stint with BBC Sport.
"Forfar 5 - East Fife 4"

Beaker
625 lines

Post by Beaker »

Bob Richardson wrote:
Beaker wrote:
He'll only be working Mon-Sat. As a practising Christian there's apparently a clause in his contract which says he does not have to work on the Sabbath. That was also the case during his stint with BBC Sport.
Oh right, I only watch it on weekdays anyway.

I'm sure they could have someone with more personality.....or maybe someone with a personality, at least.
If I were creating the world I wouldn't mess about with butterflies and daffodils. I would have started with lasers, eight o'clock, Day One!

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

Post by Nick Cooper 625 »

Beaker wrote:We think Naga Munchetty is great, the best breakfast TV presenter by a country mile and probably doesn't get the credit she deserves.
When I wake up to a serious new days, I do breath a sigh of relieve if it's Naga on the sofa. Louise Minchin, on the other hand....
"Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo." [Wells]

Beaker
625 lines

Post by Beaker »

Apparently its Piers Moron on ITV....thats enough to make me vomit into my museli.

Brian F
D-MAC

Post by Brian F »

Of course when used to reading left to right your eyes always stray to the right and onto the female presenter no matter what the one to the left is doing :-) At least mine do!!!

Beaker
625 lines

Post by Beaker »

Stop that or you'll go blind, I tell you!

Steve Williams
625 lines

Post by Steve Williams »

Bob Richardson wrote:He'll only be working Mon-Sat. As a practising Christian there's apparently a clause in his contract which says he does not have to work on the Sabbath. That was also the case during his stint with BBC Sport.
He's only doing Mondays to Wednesdays on Breakfast in any case - as they have a team of presenters they generally only work three days a week, presumably so there's no undisputed number one and so there isn't a massive chasm when they leave.

It's true Dan Walker doesn't work on Sundays, but I'm not sure it needs to be said he'll only be working Monday to Saturday? Clearly he's not going to be working seven days a week. I don't work Sundays either, not for religious reasons, just because I don't want to. He works enough on the other six days a week anyway, including at BBC Sport where he's still working, presenting Football Focus and other programmes. Not working Sundays is hardly a major barrier anyway, I know sport goes on every day but he's versatile enough to cover all sports. Probably better to have him who can cover everything, six days a week, then someone who can work seven days a week but only knows about football.