Curious Accoustics

Discussion of television and radio technology - professional and domestic.
Bob Richardson
625 lines

Curious Accoustics

Post by Bob Richardson »

I re-watched "The Chase" (Dr Who) this week and was puzzled by the completely different acoustics of the "robot" Doctor's dialogue. The same thing has struck me with other episodes, such as "The Time Meddler" and "Celestial Toymaker", where characters (away on holiday) have pre-recorded a few lines to be dropped in during their absence. This pre-recorded dialogue, played into the "live" show from 1/4" tape has a curiously unconvincing sound to it, as if recorded in a cupboard, and being read for the first time without rehearsal.

I've worked on many shows where presenters/artists had to record a bit of dialogue for edits or trailers, and the usual method was to drop the boom in and get them to speak normally. I'm guessing that Hartnell (and others) were locked in a dubbing booth and given a script to read for these pre-records, because it sounds so different from the normal programme acoustics. Anyone else know what I mean?
"Forfar 5 - East Fife 4"

Mickey
625 lines

Re: Curious Accoustics

Post by Mickey »

The curse of the pre-recorded dialogue! I often notice it. A prime offender is when dialogue is overlaid over a scene of a car being driven. The voices sound completely different to how they do when you can see the performers. (Well, not completely different, but there is a different texture to it. Something echoey almost). It's often surprised me that directors use the technique, because things do sound so different, which can quite take you out of the action for a moment; but I've been surprised in the past when others haven't noticed. Just as when some people don't notice the switch from film to VT, when people go in and out of doors in old TV, I guess.

Spiny Norman
D-MAC

Post by Spiny Norman »

What mostly struck me was the low quality of the optical soundtracks, for example the letter S.
This is nøt å signåture.™

Brian F
D-MAC

Post by Brian F »

I can often tell on a film telerecording if location shots have been taken on VT just by the sound difference. Also the episode of Strange Report it sounds, in the same way of having different acoustics for her voice only, as if Sally Geeson's dialogue has been dubbed (by her) in some shots. I think it might have been due to her American accent not being strong enough.