Tom Stoppard's pseudonymous telly work

What's not currently on the box
George White
625 lines

Tom Stoppard's pseudonymous telly work

Post by George White »

Reading about Kinda, I was reminded that the rumour Stoppard wrote Kinda stems from Tom Stoppard wrote for lots of TV shows under psueodnyms, and "that a popular BBC drama", he got his Imperialist frustrations out a bit too much, do we know what that series, or any suspicions of what it might have been... Are there any other Bailey-like mysterious men of UK TV we might think are Stoppard....He's never owned up apart from writing for Mrs. Dale's Diary. Any other telly we might think is by Stoppard under another name...

Mark
Committee

Re: Tom Stoppard's pseudonymous telly work

Post by Mark »

Just a slight correction, it was "Kinda" that Stoppard was wrongly rumoured to have been responsible for.

"Shada" was very much the work of the brilliant Douglas Adams.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

Stoppard was also rumoured to be behind the Gerald Wiley pseudonym for The Two Ronnies, until Barker revealed it was him. Wasn't aware of Stoppard genuinely being suspected of anything else. I don't see why he'd have needed to; he was an excellent tv playwright who could have done plenty more of that with huge creative freedom had he been so inclined...

George White
625 lines

Post by George White »

yes, getting my one word titles confused there. D'oh. Shows how much I've lapsed as a fan.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Another name amazingly linked with the serial was Kate Bush!
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

George White
625 lines

Post by George White »

Any other things we think might have been written for the telly, uncredited by TS?

ITMA
405 lines

Post by ITMA »

Simon36 wrote:Stoppard was also rumoured to be behind the Gerald Wiley pseudonym for The Two Ronnies
Frost on Sunday. Cat was well out of the bag by The Two Ronnies.