News at ten

What's currently on the box
prisoner5
625 lines

News at ten

Post by prisoner5 »

Had to go off the air wednesday night due to a fire alarm, turned out to be a false alarm and the remaining 15 mins' didn't go out, wouldv'e been impressed if itv had continued to broadcast,the old show bizz saying "show must go on" springs to mind.The caption reminded me of the numerous breakdowns they had many years ago.

brigham
HD

Re: News at ten

Post by brigham »

"...Show must go on..."

Yes, the News is very much a 'show' now.

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

Can't help thinking that ole Reginald Bosanquet would have swigged his glass and carried on.

Feel cheated that local news appears to be recorded.

prisoner5
625 lines

Post by prisoner5 »

Reggie, yes, but i think most would've carried on back in those days.I work and have worked many years in a hotel and there have been times when the fire alarm has gone off, we've investigated, and when satisfied alls well carried on, we have never evacuated on just hearing an alarm.

Ian Wegg
625 lines

Post by Ian Wegg »

fatcat wrote:Feel cheated that local news appears to be recorded.
Yes, it's definitely recorded. I can toggle between Fred Dinenage reading the news from Kent in HD and Hampshire in SD at the same time so one at least is a pre-record.

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

Ian Wegg wrote:
Yes, it's definitely recorded. I can toggle between Fred Dinenage reading the news from Kent in HD and Hampshire in SD at the same time so one at least is a pre-record.
Thanks for the conformation- I mean for heaven sake regional studios don't make programmes anymore all they have to do is present the local news- I am pretty sure they repeated a package between Sun and Mon too.

prisoner5
625 lines

Post by prisoner5 »

Fred Dineage, haven't heard that name for a long time.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

prisoner5 wrote:Fred Dineage, haven't heard that name for a long time.
Dineage.
I wondered how it was pronounced.

Scary
625 lines

Post by Scary »

Yep, since the big round of cuts to regional news quite a few years ago some bulletins are recorded. It's so they can do all the regions and sub regions without having a studio for each.

Originally some of the 6pm programmes were sub regional for the first 10-15 minutes and regional for the rest. So for example in Central they'd record the first 10 minutes of the West Midlands bulletin and do the first 10 of the East Midlands live, then joins the two up for the rest. You could tell which was which because the backdrop changed... in the West Country you'd see either the Tamar Bridge of the Clifton Bridge for the beginning and then a generic backdrop for the second half.

Now things have changed again - AIUI the whole bulletins are now sub-regional, but they are allowed to share stories between their programmes, including between the regions. So Central News West is only seen in the west (on SD at least) but it might have a story from the east, or Meridian might produce a report and send it out to several regions so it (or a version of it) might be seen in Birmingham too

The Post Office
405 lines

Post by The Post Office »

Ian Wegg wrote:
If it's not recorded - then it begs the question:
HOW?
One for the kids there!