Still With Us

What's not currently on the box
SgtPepper
625 lines

Re: Still With Us

Post by SgtPepper »

videoking wrote:
brigham wrote:
SgtPepper wrote:It's a little scary to think that the likes of Des O'Connor and Michael Parkinson belong in this thread.
It's alarming when you realise that everyone you remember from when you were growing-up is either dead or over 70!
I was relieved the other day when I heard that Peter 'Herman' Noone is neither of the above.
It's very unnerving and really makes one think of one's own mortality.
It was a bit unnerving when David Cameron became PM (that's not a political statement) as it was the first time the PM had been younger than me. I thought that would probably be the case from now on, but Teresa May is a few years older. :-)

Ian Wegg
625 lines

Post by Ian Wegg »

Robert Hardy popped up on the lunchtime news today, in an item about the Mary Rose.

~iw

Mickey
625 lines

Post by Mickey »

Nice piece about Denis Norden on the BBC News site today: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-36975138

David Smith
405 lines

Post by David Smith »

Mickey wrote:Nice piece about Denis Norden on the BBC News site today: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-36975138
Really hope that, health permitting, he gets some involvement in next year's 40th anniversary of It'll Be Alright On The Night (assuming the producers mark it)...

Private Frazer
625 lines

Post by Private Frazer »

Happy Birthday Rodney Bewes of The Likely Lads ; only 79!
"Now listen you guys, I don't wish to alarm you but there's some pretty weird things going on out here..."

Beaker
625 lines

Post by Beaker »

Private Frazer wrote:Happy Birthday Rodney Bewes of The Likely Lads ; only 79!
Would be nice to see a one-off 'Whatever happened to Whatever happened to The Likely Lads' episode......that is if someone could get them both into the same room together.
If I were creating the world I wouldn't mess about with butterflies and daffodils. I would have started with lasers, eight o'clock, Day One!

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

videoking wrote:
brigham wrote:
SgtPepper wrote:It's a little scary to think that the likes of Des O'Connor and Michael Parkinson belong in this thread.
It's alarming when you realise that everyone you remember from when you were growing-up is either dead or over 70!
I was relieved the other day when I heard that Peter 'Herman' Noone is neither of the above.
It's very unnerving and really makes one think of one's own mortality.
Because of the name 'Florence' I thought it was the old lady from The Brady Bunch that had passed away the other day-

then realised it was young blonde Mum in the show Florence Henderson who was in her 80s.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Beaker wrote:
Private Frazer wrote:Happy Birthday Rodney Bewes of The Likely Lads ; only 79!
Would be nice to see a one-off 'Whatever happened to Whatever happened to The Likely Lads' episode......that is if someone could get them both into the same room together.
It's a nice thought, but not so much 'Likely' as very... 'unlikely'...to be honest!
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

murphy1961
405 lines

Post by murphy1961 »

I hope I haven't jinxed him, but Kirk Douglas turns 100 next Friday (9 December).

Ian Wegg
625 lines

Post by Ian Wegg »

murphy1961 wrote:I hope I haven't jinxed him, but Kirk Douglas turns 100 next Friday (9 December).
He made it!

Ian Wegg
625 lines

Post by Ian Wegg »

Ian Wegg wrote:Robert Hardy popped up on the lunchtime news today, in an item about the Mary Rose.
... in possibly his last TV appearance.

Robert Hardy (1925-2017)

R.I.P.

Ian Wegg
625 lines

Post by Ian Wegg »

I have just been watching The Avengers episode "The White Dwarf" on True Entertainment.

As well as Honor Blackman, 92 years old yesterday, also still with us from that 1963 episode are character actors George A. Cooper (92) and Philip Latham (88).

~iw

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

The wonderful Earl Cameron CBE was 100 this month.

Great actor, great voice.

wittoner
625 lines

Post by wittoner »

What makes George A Cooper all the more surprising is that he looked a lot older than he was in the days when he cropped up all the time in Films and TV.

He must have been only in his 30s and 40s but always seemed to play late middle aged characters. Glad to see he's still going.

Conversely Honor was a bit older than the average sex symbol, well in her 30s as Cathy Gale and pushing 40 as Pussy Galore. which is why I guess we all did a double take to see how old she is now!"

Ross
D-MAC

Post by Ross »

Similarly Gudrun Ure, still with us at 91 but it seems amazing as she was Supergran when I was a kid.

Focus II
625 lines

Post by Focus II »

I read that Pete Murray recently celebrated his 92nd birthday.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Fenella Fielding will be 90 tomorrow. I learned this from Radio 4's PM programme, which has somehow persuaded her to appear on the programme to read out items suggested by listeners in that distinctively husky voice. Should be interesting.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Just been reminded that Cleo Laine was 90 in October.

SgtPepper
625 lines

Post by SgtPepper »

Not sure if she's been mentioned but I noticed that Irene Sutcliffe who played Maggie Clegg in Coronation Street in the early to mid 70's is taking part in a cast reunion in February aged 87.

The Farmer
405 lines

Post by The Farmer »

Just bought Kirk Douglas his book that he published when he celebrated his 90th birthday.

Luckily he celebrated his 101th birthday a couple of weeks ago! Still with us this Hollywood great!

perov
405 lines

Post by perov »

Watching the prolific Glyn Houston on Talking Pictures, made me curious, and yes is still with us at 92.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Slightly surreal moment on Clare Teal's Radio 2 show this evening. She has a feature each week where a listener writes in and requests three of their favourite swing and big band tracks, and this week it was "Brian Tesler of London". Surely not the one who used to be a high-flying ITV executive, I thought? Yes, it was he, and he selected tracks from performers he'd worked with when he was a producer in the 50s and 60s, including Sammy Davis Jr and Peggy Lee. An unexpected blast from the past there - he'll be 89 next month!

Brian F
625 lines

Post by Brian F »

Brock wrote:Slightly surreal moment on Clare Teal's Radio 2 show this evening. She has a feature each week where a listener writes in and requests three of their favourite swing and big band tracks, and this week it was "Brian Tesler of London". Surely not the one who used to be a high-flying ITV executive, I thought? Yes, it was he, and he selected tracks from performers he'd worked with when he was a producer in the 50s and 60s, including Sammy Davis Jr and Peggy Lee. An unexpected blast from the past there - he'll be 89 next month!
He has been at a few Kaleidoscope events, at least he was when they were in Stourbridge a couple of years ago. He looked very good for his age there. He may have been at one of the Birmingham ones but I didn't make it to all of them.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Colin Jeavons at 88.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Mention of the "Dear Katie" letters in the TV Times in another thread reminds me that Caterina Irene Elena Maria Imperiali di Francavilla - aka Katie Boyle - is still with us at 91.

Duncan
625 lines

Post by Duncan »

Mark wrote:Colin Jeavons at 88.

A fine, fine actor - ultra reliable and always a pleasure to see in a show.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Duncan wrote:

Totally agree, I have always been a fan, a great Actor.

rosalyn
405 lines

Post by rosalyn »

Larry Storch, friend of the late Tony Curtis, appeared with him in The Persuaders! episode 'Angie...Angie', one of my favourite eps, the finale of which I found very moving.

Anyway, Larry is still with us at 95.

Some may remember him from F Troop.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Tom Lehrer is 90 today. Since he wrote some of his best-known songs for the US version of That Was the Week That Was, I think he can just about be squeezed in under the category of "British archive television"...

Beaker
625 lines

Post by Beaker »

Duncan wrote:

We wrote him a letter many years ago because my Father (who sadly passed on just over a week ago) was convinced he'd been in the army with him. Colin wrote a lovely letter back stating that it must have been some other 'poor fellow' who looked like him as he was (I think in the RAF). Very nice of him to respond.
If I were creating the world I wouldn't mess about with butterflies and daffodils. I would have started with lasers, eight o'clock, Day One!