Radio One - Fun At One - were tv clips used?

What's not currently on the box
robinsmith
405 lines

Radio One - Fun At One - were tv clips used?

Post by robinsmith »

In the dark corners of my mind, lurks a memory of Paul Burnette on Radio One, doing something called 'Fun At One', basically, a classic comedy sketch at one in the afternoon. I'm also half remembering Adrian Juste using various comedy clips on his weekend show. How good these memories are, I do not know.

I recall first hearing a Newhart sketch (possibly from one of his LPs), and a Kenneth Williams sketch where he's saying 'hands up this is a stick up, gimmie your money' (Round The Horne?). Obviously, if I am right, these are taken from radio and LP, but did they ever use tv show clips? If they did, was it only BBC, or were ITv comics and sketches allowed to be broadcast? I ask this, after reading the Arthur Haynes threads, and wondering if any of his sketches got an airing (which is why I've posted this in archive tv).

Sorry this is such a vague post, but I hope it might spark a nice discussion.

ian b
D-MAC

Re: Radio One - Fun At One - were tv clips used?

Post by ian b »

My memory says that I only ever heard material that was from commercially available LPs - there never seemed to be anything "new" that I didn't know backwards from the various BBC LPs (or in my case cassettes) and other official releases.

ray lomas
405 lines

Post by ray lomas »

robinsmith wrote: a Kenneth Williams sketch where he's saying 'hands up this is a stick up, gimmie your money' (Round The Horne?).
"Hand up your sticks", a sketch from (IIRC) Pieces of Eight, a stage revue by Peter Cook starring Williams and released as a studio recording.

Ian Wegg
625 lines

Post by Ian Wegg »

robinsmith wrote:In the dark corners of my mind, lurks a memory of Paul Burnette on Radio One, doing something called 'Fun At One', basically, a classic comedy sketch at one in the afternoon. I'm also half remembering Adrian Juste using various comedy clips on his weekend show. How good these memories are, I do not know.
The format of Adrian Juste's show had been around a long time on (IIRC) Radio 2 and its predecessor the Light Programme. I can't for the life of me remember who presented it though. Can anyone help?

~iw

Doom Patrol
625 lines

Post by Doom Patrol »

I think it was Johnnie Walker's lunchtime show that featured Fun at One. I used to listen to it regularly at one time.

Steve Williams
625 lines

Post by Steve Williams »

Ian Wegg wrote:I can't for the life of me remember who presented it though. Can anyone help?
Jack Jackson. And Fun at One was indeed on Paul Burnett's show. When he moved to later in the afternoon it was cunningly renamed Fun at Three.

Ian Wegg
625 lines

Post by Ian Wegg »

Steve Williams wrote:
Jack Jackson.
Thank you Steve!

~iw

Doom Patrol
625 lines

Post by Doom Patrol »

Steve Williams wrote:
Ian Wegg wrote:I can't for the life of me remember who presented it though. Can anyone help?
Jack Jackson. And Fun at One was indeed on Paul Burnett's show. When he moved to later in the afternoon it was cunningly renamed Fun at Three.
You're right. I was confusing it with Pop The Question. It's me age.