The Larks Ascending - A Guide To Comedy On BBC Radio 3

The good stuff on the wireless and in the shops
Zokko!
405 lines

The Larks Ascending - A Guide To Comedy On BBC Radio 3

Post by Zokko! »

Hello! You might well be interested in my new book The Larks Ascending - a sequel to my earlier book on comedy on Radio 1, in which I take a look at the surprising amount of comedy on Radio 3. Shows covered include The Half-Open University, Patterson, Why Bother?, A Tribute To Greatness, The Atkinson People, Such Rotten Luck, All The World's A Globe and many others, some of them so obscure that even the people involved had forgotten about them. Artists featured include Chris Morris, Peter Cook, Sue Townsend, Armando Iannucci, Ivor Cutler, Joe Orton, Rowan Atkinson, Malcolm Bradbury, Peter Tinniswood, N.F. Simpson, Kenneth Williams, The BBC Radiophonic Workshop and The King's Singers. No, really.

You can find out more about The Larks Ascending and how to get hold of it here: https://timworthington.org/2019/04/06/t ... ascending/

There's also an interview with me about the book and some of the shows featured in it here: https://timworthington.org/2019/04/06/l ... alm-death/

Brock
HD

Re: The Larks Ascending - A Guide To Comedy On BBC Radio 3

Post by Brock »

Sounds really interesting. Did you include Broomhouse Reach - Radio 3's first (and possibly only) sitcom?

Zokko!
405 lines

Post by Zokko! »

Broomhouse Reach is indeed in there, but it wasn't the first Radio 3 sitcom, nor was it the only one...!

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

I stand corrected! Clearly I'll have to buy the book :-)

Indeed, you mentioned Patterson (1981) in your original post, which pre-dated Broomhouse Reach (1984) - you also mentioned Such Rotten Luck (1989). Those are the only three that I'm aware of, though.

Zokko!
405 lines

Post by Zokko! »

There is actually another one - and it was a sort-of spin-off from Broomhouse Reach...!

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Blood and Bruises (1988)?

Zokko!
405 lines

Post by Zokko! »

That's the one! Although it seems some of the people involved try to forget about it now...

AndrewP
625 lines

Post by AndrewP »

Had chance to finish this over the last week. A *very* entertaining and informative read which was a very good purchase indeed. Not just all the usual suspects from radio comedy overviews, but a lot of very nice context indeed, flagging up numerous new items which I hadn't been fully aware of and which I now fancy tracking down. Engaging writing style which is a lot of fun, but conveys all the information that I'm after as well. Good solid appendix with all the facts and figures, plus a more general overview of the subject with shorter entries for further investigation.

It's a real joy to find off-beat little volumes such as this which set out to document and communicate something a little different. Very much recommended for anyone with an interest in sound comedy or just something a little different in terms of broadcasting.

All the best

Andrew