Morgan's Boy 1984

What's not currently on the box
rachel leah
405 lines

Morgan's Boy 1984

Post by rachel leah »

I have enjoyed seeing this on a popular viewing site. I really love this type of drama.

It captures the atmosphere of the time so well and I now realise it never got released on video or DVD probably because of the 80's music. It resonated with the miner's strike that was going on at the time.

I was caught by how nearly everyone in it had problems with their fathers, and the way incest and child abuse were hinted at.

At first a white Rhodesian couple are shown sympathetically, then as the series went on the nastier side of the Rhodesian lady's character came out and glimpses of their past lives came out. It's a part of history that would never shown like this on television today.

In a way Morgan was better than the boy's father. I like the way Gareth Thomas totally changed his body language to play this.

John Williams
Committee

Re: Morgan's Boy 1984

Post by John Williams »

I enjoyed Morgan’s Boy as well, but it probably hasn’t been released on DVD because the writer was imprisoned for child indecency. As a lot of his original plays and series focused on teenagers and their sexuality, it makes any commercial releases or repeats unlikely.

rachel leah
405 lines

Post by rachel leah »

I am shocked. I had no idea. All the main characters in this are over 16. That's a shame but understandable.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

rachel leah wrote:I am shocked. I had no idea. All the main characters in this are over 16. That's a shame but understandable.
It's 'understandable' that such narrow-minded bigotry should continue into the 21st. Century?

Not to me. We've learned nothing since Wilde.

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

That’s certainly silenced everyone.

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

Simon36 wrote:That’s certainly silenced everyone.
Ha ha the phantom thread killer strikes again.

I don't recall the series at all, otherwise, I for one am sure I would have waffled on about it LOL

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

See ya.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

It's the human 'need' to hate.
We aren't allowed to hate 'homos' any more, so we have to find a substitute.
Pitiful, really.

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

Simon36 wrote:See ya.

I hope you stay and continue with your enjoyable and interesting posts.

I have edited my posts here in case they caused you offence.

First of all I would never condone the behaviour of the three 'stars' mentioned- if it were true.
But there's the problem ..I just don't get it - how society got to this stage with such hatred of them based on 'he said,she said"
I recall at least two of them were positive forces of good - one raised over 40 million for charity and another got opportunities for pop/tv careers that other youngsters could only dream about.
But there you go it's a net taboo subject and I understand that now.

I would rather you stay and continue to contribute.... and you can ignore my posts and I will not reply to yours. Although I will try and keep to the script next time.

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

brigham wrote:It's the human 'need' to hate.
We aren't allowed to hate 'homos' any more, so we have to find a substitute.
Pitiful, really.
Yes it sure is.

Billy Smart
625 lines

Post by Billy Smart »

fatcat wrote:First of all I would never condone the behaviour of the three 'stars' mentioned- if it were true.
But there's the problem ..I just don't get it - how society got to this stage with such hatred of them based on 'he said,she said"
Rolf Harris was found guilty in a Crown Court trial. In the case of the most serious charge, on the evidence of his own letters to the girl's parents as well as the victim's testimony. Rather more than hearsay and rumour.

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

Billy Smart wrote:
fatcat wrote:First of all I would never condone the behaviour of the three 'stars' mentioned- if it were true.
Rolf Harris was found guilty in a Crown Court trial. In the case of the most serious charge, on the evidence of his own letters to the girl's parents as well as the victim's testimony. Rather more than hearsay and rumour.
I didn't want to start this all up again as people have stark views on it and it just leads to upset.
I was mainly talking about the other two
Suffice to say a claim that one particular person was just wondering around busy hospitals doing exactly what he liked including having sex with the ill and the dead..was never questioned or verified (despite being a quite outrageous claim) as it was automatically assumed to be true..people wanted to believe it.
Thus these 3 still remain the most hated men in the UK with an avalanche of historic and very disturbing claims against them..at least on the net, which apparently a rottweiler newspaper like 'The News of the World' never saw on its radar back in the day for some reason .. i mean heaven forbid the NOTW didn't see it because it just wasn't there in the first place and we would have nothing to pin on people we just don't like anyway... ..meanwhile the likes of the Rolling Stones,Bowie and Jackson etc all still smell of roses and their records still sell by the bucket load.

That was my point, I was not condoning anything found with a thing called evidence.