The Clemmie Hart Years

The good stuff on the wireless and in the shops
Brock
HD

The Clemmie Hart Years

Post by Brock »

Broadcast last Wednesday on Radio 4, this one-woman show by Anneka Rice reveals how she fooled the TV industry for years by inventing a fictional agent. Well worth a listen.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0005t3m

Mark
Committee

Re: The Clemmie Hart Years

Post by Mark »

She was on "The One Show", this last week, talking about it, and they also surprised her with Graham the Cameraman from "Treasure Hunt".
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

I thoroughly enjoyed this. The only thing that kept nagging at me was that Hugh Grant also claimed once, on the Graham Norton Show, that he had an invented agent for a few years. Anneka was great though, a charming show.

wittoner
625 lines

Post by wittoner »

And Rob Brydon also claimed to have done something similar on "Would I lie to You?" (and revealed it to be true).

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Presumably there's no requirement to be represented by an agent, is there? I remember this post from a few years back about Brian Wilde:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2094&p=23035#p23035

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

Brock wrote:Presumably there's no requirement to be represented by an agent, is there? I remember this post from a few years back about Brian Wilde:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2094&p=23035#p23035
None at all, although pretty hard to get your career started without one. Albert Finney didn’t have one for the latter part of his career.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

So why, then, once she became an established star, couldn't Anneka Rice (or indeed anyone else) just say "from now on I shall be representing myself"? Seems easier than going through this elaborate charade. (Although it wouldn't have made for such an entertaining radio show...)

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

Brock wrote:So why, then, once she became an established star, couldn't Anneka Rice (or indeed anyone else) just say "from now on I shall be representing myself"? Seems easier than going through this elaborate charade. (Although it wouldn't have made for such an entertaining radio show...)
Because producers etc are more likely to behave properly if they think they are talking to an agent. If they are talking directly to the artist, who they probably already know a little, they are more likely to sweet talk them into doing things for less than they should etc. Being an actor, performer etc doesn’t make you hard-nosed and business-like. Being an agent is a job that needs you to be prepared to be tough, uncompromising and unpopular.