The weird world of dubbing

What's not currently on the box
paul.austin
625 lines

Re: The weird world of dubbing

Post by paul.austin »

Raj Singh is dubbed in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom by Katie Leigh. add to that his costume and it's no wonder that so many think the Little Maharaja is a princess.

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

Mark wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:33 pm
Simon36 wrote:This is interesting. There was a thread some time back entitled “who was that voice?”, when we were all trying to identify the ubiquitous voice from the Seventies, a very forced and over-enthusiastic posh accent that was usually wildly at odds with the on-screen expression. We never managed to identify it. Off the top of my head, the best example I can think of is that she dubbed Caroline Munro in The New Avengers episode Angels of Death. I’d still love to know who it was.

The 1979 US animated film of The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe has a British version with a much more Narnia-sounding cast, but it’s exasperating trying to identify all of the actors. The end credits list the US actors instead and so do all the mentions online, or sometimes a mixture of both. Two of the four leads I simply cannot identify.

It’s strange how prominent dubbing was in the 70s, particularly of Women. It doesn’t seem to happen at all now except for foreign-language versions. When The Long Good Friday was released, Bob Hoskins was dubbed by David Daker with a hint of Brummie, supposedly so the Americans could more easily understand him, and Hoskins threatened to sue, saying that the worst thing you can do to an actor is remove his own voice. It seemed surprising since it had been going on for years!
I must dig it out and have a listen, but Munro's voice may have been dubbed by someone from the same episode, possibly Lindsay Duncan or Annabel Lytton.
Definitely not either of them.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

fatcat wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:03 pm
Mark wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:43 pm

On tonight's "Persuaders", "Nuisance Value", sounded like Viviane Ventura was dubbed throughout.
That night I was going to give Dr.Who another go, but it started with another school teacher lecture telling us how many people were on Earth..really? we didn't know that yawn!
So I turned on the Persuaders and snuggled up to a very familiar, warm and happy place with gorgeous girls...I thought that was Viv's voice though?

Although I watched the said episode of "Who", I also switch over to "The Persuaders", for the same reasons and to cheer myself up, watched "The Morning After" though, with the lovely Catherine Schell and Yutte Stensgaard ( who I think auditioned for the part of Jo Grant in "Who", in 1970).
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

David Boothroyd wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:55 pm
Speaking of dubbing, a well known organisation which recovers classic television programmes has just uploaded an interesting piece from Thames TV 40 years ago to a well known video sharing website. In which the epilogue is read by the king of the dubbers Robert Rietty, as himself, in his usual voice - which is surprisingly unaccented.
Yes, I have seen that on YT, nice voice.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

paul.austin wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:36 am
Raj Singh is dubbed in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom by Katie Leigh. add to that his costume and it's no wonder that so many think the Little Maharaja is a princess.
It wasn't unusual for female VO's used for boys, for obvious reasons, but I hadn't spotted that one.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Simon36 wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:49 am
Mark wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:33 pm
Simon36 wrote:This is interesting. There was a thread some time back entitled “who was that voice?”, when we were all trying to identify the ubiquitous voice from the Seventies, a very forced and over-enthusiastic posh accent that was usually wildly at odds with the on-screen expression. We never managed to identify it. Off the top of my head, the best example I can think of is that she dubbed Caroline Munro in The New Avengers episode Angels of Death. I’d still love to know who it was.

The 1979 US animated film of The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe has a British version with a much more Narnia-sounding cast, but it’s exasperating trying to identify all of the actors. The end credits list the US actors instead and so do all the mentions online, or sometimes a mixture of both. Two of the four leads I simply cannot identify.

It’s strange how prominent dubbing was in the 70s, particularly of Women. It doesn’t seem to happen at all now except for foreign-language versions. When The Long Good Friday was released, Bob Hoskins was dubbed by David Daker with a hint of Brummie, supposedly so the Americans could more easily understand him, and Hoskins threatened to sue, saying that the worst thing you can do to an actor is remove his own voice. It seemed surprising since it had been going on for years!
I must dig it out and have a listen, but Munro's voice may have been dubbed by someone from the same episode, possibly Lindsay Duncan or Annabel Lytton.
Definitely not either of them.
Probably not, but it usually saves a few bob to use someone from the same cast ( as with "Carry On Girls"), still like to identify it though.

Sometimes they are badly matched though, the Actress playing the model in the "Rising Damp" film is dubbed by a deeper voiced actress which doesn't seem right at all.