The "ageing rock group reforms" plot.

What's not currently on the box
Ian Wegg
625 lines

The "ageing rock group reforms" plot.

Post by Ian Wegg »

I was just browsing the details of tonight’s episode of Death in Paradise:

"The team is introduced to the crazy world of rock and roll when the lead singer of a band is murdered on Saint Marie."

I was reminded that my old colleague Mr. Pergrine had posted a catalogue of this much overused genre cliché and went looking for it. I eventually found it on the old MClub site in, of all places, the original DiP thread here. It seems the plot was previously used for episode 7 back in 2011 making this, I believe, the first example of the “reformed ageing rock band” story being recycled in the same series.

Neil Morrisey is band member Disco Biscuit in tonight's example, a rare instance of an ageing rocker played by someone who has genuinely had a number one chart entry!

~iw

Ian Wegg
625 lines

Re: The "ageing rock group reforms" plot.

Post by Ian Wegg »

It's been a couple of years since I last spotted one but a version of this trope turned up in last weekend's episode of Endeavour.

Quite a lot of similarities to the 1990 Wexford story "Some Lie and Some Die". The mansion dwelling band were current rather than old, as was necessary given that the series is set in 1969. And the story featured a "hit tune" written for the programme.

Current tally:

Wexford
Jonathon Creek
Midsommer Murders
New Tricks
Lewis
Death in Paradise (twice)
Endeavour

I enjoy Endeavour but my heart always sinks when this story line makes its inevitable appearance. "Band in the mansion" does seem to have become the UK crime drama equivalent of "jumping the shark".

~iw

Paul Hayes
625 lines

Post by Paul Hayes »

If you allow comedy in, this was pretty much the basis of the entire series "The Life of Rock with Brian Pern".

wittoner
625 lines

Post by wittoner »

And "Creme Brulee" in The League Of Gentlemen.

I can also remember "Former 60s rock star" plots in Shoestring and Minder.

Juswuh
D-MAC

Post by Juswuh »

wittoner wrote: I can also remember "Former 60s rock star" plots in Shoestring and Minder.
What about Studio and No Excuses? Two band-in-a-mansion series shown on ITV at almost the same time (1983), both pretty dreadful but I'd pay up if they came out on DVD.

Beaker
625 lines

Post by Beaker »

You could add the episode of 'The Young Person's Guide To Becoming A Rock Star' which starred Fish a.k.a. Derek Dick as an aging mansion-dwelling prog rock singer called Derek Trout....
If I were creating the world I wouldn't mess about with butterflies and daffodils. I would have started with lasers, eight o'clock, Day One!

ray lomas
405 lines

Post by ray lomas »

Ian Wegg wrote:
Neil Morrisey is band member Disco Biscuit in tonight's example

~iw
Who also starred in Hunting Venus, an ITV comedy-drama about a reforming 80s band.

In around 1990-ish BBC2 showed a series made up of sitcom pilots (a la Comedy Playhouse / Seven Of One etc.) one of which starred Trevor Eve as the lead singer of an early 70s prog-rock band making a comeback - I can't remember what it was called, other than it was a pun on Eve's character's name I think.

And then, of course, there's always "More Bad News".

Don Satchley
625 lines

Post by Don Satchley »

The Trevor Eve show was called Life On the Flipside from 1988:
An aging rocker discovers that his wife has abandoned their three children and run off to "find" herself. He takes up residence with his kids and for the first time comes to terms with the concept of parent responsibility.

Ian Wegg
625 lines

Post by Ian Wegg »

It was about due and for a record third time in another Death in Paradise episode. I suppose the series having a changing lead allows for the continued resurrection of this trope, although actually officer Dwayne fulfilled the role of super fan on this occasion.

A reggae band this time, Leon and the Ragers - "30 years stronger". Levi Roots guesting.

~iw

Ian Wegg
625 lines

Post by Ian Wegg »

Shakespeare & Hathaway is now into its third series so this was getting inevitable. Tony King, lead singer of "Kaliban's Claw", Lu Shakespeare had never of heard of them, Frank Hathaway the superfan. For daytime show budgetary reasons the group were bumped off before we got to see them.