Peter Wyngarde Biography: release. February 2020

Film, stage, music, books and so on...
fatcat
D-MAC

Peter Wyngarde Biography: release. February 2020

Post by fatcat »

Annette Andre's biography previous Christmas with Where have I been all my Life
and now another one of the old ITC troupe adds a bio this year.

Peter Wyngarde - A Life Amongst Strangers Austin Macauley Publishers release date. 28/2/2020.

Written by his partner and soul mate for decades Tina Wyngarde Hopkins....It sets out to dispel some of the gleeful gossip that has surrounded him since the 70s and hopefully gives a true portrait of a very talented man who IMHO was dreadfully underused in latter years.

Reported to be a rather large tome which goes into detail about all aspects of his life, including of interest to many on the forum his well-remembered TV performances

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

Re: Peter Wyngarde Biography: release. February 2020

Post by Nick Cooper 625 »

I have ordered this, mostly because there has been a running battle on Wikipedia for several years as editors have tried to unpick the backstory Wyngarde created for himself which might have stood up in the 1960s and 1970s, but with the benefit of increased access to original records and other documentation, is now looking more full of holes than Swiss cheese. The author claims to have been Wyngarde's romantic partner for twenty years, and has doggedly defended his version of his own life, even where every available piece of evidence suggests that it's littered with falsehoods and contradictions.

Obviously Wyngarde is hardly alone amongst actors - or production staff, for that matter - for having purported to have had a more interesting and less mundane pre-fame life than they actually did, and it doesn't detract from his commendable body of work, but anything this volume has to say about his early background should probably be taken with a huge pinch of salt.
"Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo." [Wells]

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

Nick Cooper 625 wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:16 pm
I have ordered this, mostly because there has been a running battle on Wikipedia for several years as editors have tried to unpick the backstory Wyngarde created for himself which might have stood up in the 1960s and 1970s, but with the benefit of increased access to original records and other documentation, is now looking more full of holes than Swiss cheese. The author claims to have been Wyngarde's romantic partner for twenty years, and has doggedly defended his version of his own life, even where every available piece of evidence suggests that it's littered with falsehoods and contradictions.

Obviously Wyngarde is hardly alone amongst actors - or production staff, for that matter - for having purported to have had a more interesting and less mundane pre-fame life than they actually did, and it doesn't detract from his commendable body of work, but anything this volume has to say about his early background should probably be taken with a huge pinch of salt.

I think that fellow inmate and later author J.G Ballard did confirm at one time, that they were both held in a Japanese concentration camp when they were youngsters after the Japanese invasion of parts of China.

Nick Cooper 625
D-MAC

Post by Nick Cooper 625 »

Yes, Ballard mentioned knowing the Goldbert family - and therefore Wyngarde - in his autobiography, but Wyngarde claimed not to have known Ballard! One of the many contradictions in his story....
"Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo." [Wells]