Best quote or moment from "The Goodies"?

What's not currently on the box
paul.austin
625 lines

Best quote or moment from "The Goodies"?

Post by paul.austin »

Mine is from the episode with Patrick Troughton (He famously was uncomfy with the studio audience but still gives a fun performance):

"Ratfink, I've misjudged you. You have as much right as anybody to win the Nice Person of the Year award. There's only one thing against you - the fact that you're a repulsive creep!"

Mark
Committee

Re: Best quote or moment from "The Goodies"?

Post by Mark »

Favourite moments, so many. but one from each (BBC/ITV).

"Earthanasia", when Graham kept teasing Tim about Kermit the Frog ( with a sock on his hand) until Tim was so angry he dashed into the Kitchen, picked up the cooker and threw it at him.

In the LWT episode, "Big Foot", when Bill Oddie is wandering around with his big foot, and various people laugh at him, the moment when the young lady with a baby on her back in a papoose, laughs so much she falls on her back and the blanket wrapped baby shoots out and lands with several bounces on the grass...it is killingly funny ( even just thinking about it!).
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Private Frazer
625 lines

Post by Private Frazer »

'Punky Business' when Tim, being having been served spaghetti by Graham, decides he'll have some sauce.

'Goodies and the Beanstalk' when Graham still has home comforts while they spend the night in a park.

'Invasion of the Moon Creatures' when the spacecraft lands upside down.

'Snow White 2' when the dwarves declare Bill, after giving his height, to be a giant.
"Now listen you guys, I don't wish to alarm you but there's some pretty weird things going on out here..."

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

I also liked the moment in "Change Of Life", when Bill tries to blow out all the candles on his Birthday cake and needs oxygen!

That episode of the LWT series would have been a good one to end on, as it deals with the trio getting older and having to take part in tests involving elements from the previous series.

As it's the 50th Anniversary this year, I hope there will 'something' to celebrate it, and hopefully another one of those nice Radio Times Bookazines.

Private Frazer
625 lines

Post by Private Frazer »

Mark wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:01 am
As it's the 50th Anniversary this year, I hope there will 'something' to celebrate it, and hopefully another one of those nice Radio Times Bookazines.
It's the 8th Nov and a radio reunion would be good to hear or favourite episodes could be introduced by the trio on TV; it would be nice on BBC.
"Now listen you guys, I don't wish to alarm you but there's some pretty weird things going on out here..."

Nigel Stapley
625 lines

Post by Nigel Stapley »

Not a line, nor a moment, but an entire episode.

At the age of 13 or so, I was as full of irrational prejudices as any working-class boy of that age.

I always watched The Goodies. So I settled in front of the family box one evening for the latest offering...

...to be met with the (in)famous 'South Africa' episode.

Of course, it was excellent (including as it did Philip Madoc as a Saad-Efrikan official - he was so good at comedy), but by the end of the episode (which, if you recall, had the boys being forcibly migrated - in a crate - to ZA, where Bill suffers the indignity of falling victim to the vicious treatment meted out to those below a certain tallness, aka 'Apart-height'), it dawned upon me how utterly mad prejudices against people on the grounds of physical characteristics really are.

'Consciousness raising', I think they call it.

spflog1
625 lines

Post by spflog1 »

Does anyone know why this hugely popular series doesn't get repeated? Is it just a case that it hasn't aged well or something else?

On the very few occasions when I actually have seen episodes broadcast in recent years it still seems to work just fine. Highly entertaining in fact. Was that just due to cherry picking though? I doubt it, as I recall it being fairly dependable in its weekly daftness.

Memorable moments for me are (the genuine) Patrick Moore in a rabbit suit during a pastiche of Watership Down segment which includes a wonderful silhouette of them all bouncing along against the night sky's horizon. Also the truly absurd catching a running Rolf Harris with a pole-mounted noose from a moving vehicle (he'd reached plague proportions through over-breeding). Sadly, I can see how the latter could now be problematic from a repeat perspective.

rosalyn
405 lines

Post by rosalyn »

It's funny how certain quotes from old shows stick in one's memory, seemingly forever. One that repeatedly pops in my head, even today, is the one from the episode about the plague of Rolf Harris-es, as mentioned by the previous poster.

"Who are you?"

"We're THE GOODIES"

"Oh. Gordon Bennett!".

Even weirder, is that with modern television drama, I cannot even remember the programmes afterwards, let alone any of the dialogue.

Regarding the lack of repeats, even the guys themselves discussed it in a documentary, as I recall, a while back. They suggested it might be something to do with them defecting from BBC to ITV. I recall things looking promising somewhere around the back end of 1980 when BBC repeated some episodes, as I still have the Eccy Thump one, the Eurovision Raving Loony one, OK Tearooms, and The Goodies and the Beanstalk, all on VHS tape. There were some repeats of the final BBC series around 1982, which they were probably contractually obliged to show. After those, I only recall special occasions where it was only ever the Kitten Kong episode broadcast.

Also mentioned was the Rolf Harris safari one being problematical. What about the South Africa one then? Or the one about the Black and White Minstrels? I think both of these would raise some snowflake eyebrows today.

:-)

paul.austin
625 lines

Post by paul.austin »

the episode where they find religion and Bill Oddie declares he's a Muslim after putting on blackface... that will stay in the vault... in a pretty permanent sort of way.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

paul.austin wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:06 am
the episode where they find religion and Bill Oddie declares he's a Muslim after putting on blackface... that will stay in the vault... in a pretty permanent sort of way.
"Black and White Beauty" is also slightly problematical, but there's a few that would be tricky.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

rosalyn wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:01 pm
It's funny how certain quotes from old shows stick in one's memory, seemingly forever. One that repeatedly pops in my head, even today, is the one from the episode about the plague of Rolf Harris-es, as mentioned by the previous poster.

"Who are you?"

"We're THE GOODIES"

"Oh. Gordon Bennett!".

Even weirder, is that with modern television drama, I cannot even remember the programmes afterwards, let alone any of the dialogue.

Regarding the lack of repeats, even the guys themselves discussed it in a documentary, as I recall, a while back. They suggested it might be something to do with them defecting from BBC to ITV. I recall things looking promising somewhere around the back end of 1980 when BBC repeated some episodes, as I still have the Eccy Thump one, the Eurovision Raving Loony one, OK Tearooms, and The Goodies and the Beanstalk, all on VHS tape. There were some repeats of the final BBC series around 1982, which they were probably contractually obliged to show. After those, I only recall special occasions where it was only ever the Kitten Kong episode broadcast.

Also mentioned was the Rolf Harris safari one being problematical. What about the South Africa one then? Or the one about the Black and White Minstrels? I think both of these would raise some snowflake eyebrows today.

:-)
The last time any were repeated was Christmas 2010, including "Robot Baddies".

I taped some of them in the early 80's as well, I have "War Babies" the last one, but I think I did that one on original broadcast.

spflog1
625 lines

Post by spflog1 »

rosalyn wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:01 pm
It's funny how certain quotes from old shows stick in one's memory, seemingly forever.
Yes, in my case I recall Patrick Moore in his bunny suit suddenly babbling on at great speed about Jupiter. Over four decades ago but for some reason that little moment sticks in the mind.

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

Was it Rolf?
For some reason, I keep thinking that it was Alan Whicker who had reached epidemic proportions.

rosalyn
405 lines

Post by rosalyn »

Mark,

I did a bit of research on BBC 1980's repeats last night over at the Genome website and below is what came up. The final BBC series went out on BBC2 early in 1980 and was repeated later the same year as you'll see. We had a Philips VCR video machine around this time, and I know I had recordings of Saturday Night Grease, U Friend or UFO, and Animals. I cannot recall War Babies but we must have got our rental VHS machine that week because everything from 26.11.80 onward I still have the VHS tapes, except for the the 1984 repeat of War Babies. It looks like most of The Goodies from the latter 70's and 80's clocked up three showings which will have been under its original contract no doubt - premier plus two repeats. Of course anything beyond would require renegotiating the rights, and is almost certainly the reason The Goodies quickly vanished from our screens apart from the odd anniversary repeat here and there. I think I have a recording of Return of the Goodies from 2005, and there were the ones you mentioned in 2010.

BBC1
Wed 15.10.80 19.10 Saturday Night Grease (rpt)
Wed 22.10.80 19.10 The Goodies and Politics (rpt)
Wed 29.10.80 19.10 A Kick in the Arts (rpt)
Wed 05.11.80 19.10 U Friend or UFO (rpt)
Wed 12.11.80 19.10 Animals (rpt)
Wed 19.11.80 19.10 War Babies (rpt)
Wed 26.11.80 19.10 Bunfight at the OK Tearooms (rpt)
Wed 03.12.80 19.10 Fleet Street Goodies (rpt)
Wed 10.12.80 19.10 Kung Fu Kapers (rpt)
Wed 17.12.80 19.10 The Goodies and the Beanstalk (rpt)

Sun 08.01.84 17.15 Saturday Night Grease (rpt)
Sun 15.01.84 17.15 War Babies (rpt)
Sun 22.01.84 17.10 Animals (rpt)

BBC2
Tue 04.11.86 18.00 Kitten Kong (rpt)

Back on topic with quotes and memorable moments, I recall at my school, people kept saying "It's safer and it's cheaper because...it doesn't work" after the string advertising episode had been broadcast...lol. It was a Tomorrow's World spoof with Raymond Baxter as I recall?

Brigham. Yes it was Rolf. It was the one where they shoot Tony Blackburn as he's running to Denis King's Black Beauty theme tune...lol. You might be right though that Alan Whicker did feature somewhere. Patrick Moore in the bunny suit I remember. Did someone shoot him? It's so long since I've watched it...lol.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

That's very interesting, I got a VCR in the summer of 79, but for some reason only taped the very last one, Sunday teatimes, bit of a come down for the series, they probably weren't very happy about that either!

I must have taped some of those repeats as well, and then the LWT series of course ,starting with the Christmas special.

I certainly taped the 86 repeat, along with all the other shows in the BBC's celebration.

Other moments from the series, the brilliant episode where they set up a pirate radio station and only had one record to play!, and the Police episode when Paul Whitsun Jones as the officer tells GG to shut up or else, and he speaks and PWJ says to his constable, 'Right...Kill 'im'.

Nigel Stapley
625 lines

Post by Nigel Stapley »

Mark wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:46 pm
...the brilliant episode where they set up a pirate radio station and only had one record to play!'.
A Walk In The Black Forest it was, too!

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Nigel Stapley wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:44 pm
Mark wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:46 pm
...the brilliant episode where they set up a pirate radio station and only had one record to play!'.
A Walk In The Black Forest it was, too!
Yes!...and I still like it!

Spiny Norman
D-MAC

Post by Spiny Norman »

The Goodies did the best "classical history" joke ever. Well, there isn't a LOT of competition, but still, everyone else went for the obvious:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g83Dlwx67Oc

And I've watched all extant toga comedies in the world (which often wasn't a pleasure).

Since it's clips under 30 seconds I assume that it's not an infringement.
This is nøt å signåture.™

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

I'm ashamed to say that the line I remember best is from the episode Punky Business:

Bill: I'm going to go punk.
Tim: Ugh! Open a window, someone...

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

brigham wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:38 am
Was it Rolf?
For some reason, I keep thinking that it was Alan Whicker who had reached epidemic proportions.
You weren't thinking of the Monty Python Whicker Island sketch, were you? The plague of Rolf Harrises was in Scatty Safari, where they eventually all follow the Goodies over to the "other side" - heralding an unexpected appearance of the ATV "Zoom" ident!

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Spiny Norman wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:11 pm
The Goodies did the best "classical history" joke ever. Well, there isn't a LOT of competition, but still, everyone else went for the obvious:

And I've watched all extant toga comedies in the world (which often wasn't a pleasure).

There's a Specsavers advert, that has a different angle, but we wont go into that, not the Venus de Milo though obviously!

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Also loved some of the character names, Flora McKitchen .

Private Frazer
625 lines

Post by Private Frazer »

Brock wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:24 pm
I'm ashamed to say that the line I remember best is from the episode Punky Business:

Bill: I'm going to go punk.
Tim: Ugh! Open a window, someone...
Another of mine is from Punky Business too. Tim, speaking to himself about not getting to go to the Trendsetters ball, then asks a mouse if he thinks he's ugly too and shouts "cheaky bloody mouse!"

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

The scene on the bus from Alternative Roots, when Tim, Bill and Graeme's ancestors all meet for the first time and are trying to learn each other's languages by repeating what they say. Then a sheep bleats and they all repeat "Baaaaa!"

From the same episode, the sign in the Scottish Highlands for a place called "Glen Campbell".

And from Royal Command:

Tim: "I'd be happy to be an OBE — best of all, an Earl and an OBE."
Graeme: "You'd be an earlobe!"

Spiny Norman
D-MAC

Post by Spiny Norman »

Mark wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:39 pm
Spiny Norman wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:11 pm

There's a Specsavers advert, that has a different angle, but we wont go into that, not the Venus de Milo though obviously!
I have no idea which one that is?? (And google isn't helpin...)

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

It's on YT, under Specsavers little click advert.

Spiny Norman
D-MAC

Post by Spiny Norman »

Mark wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:31 pm
It's on YT, under Specsavers little click advert.
The one with the knob gag, right?

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Afraid so, it's still being shown!