13 Minutes to the Moon

The good stuff on the wireless and in the shops
Private Frazer
625 lines

13 Minutes to the Moon

Post by Private Frazer »

I always think of the date of Apollo 11 on the moon as the 21st July, the wee hours of the morning when the EVA started UK time and I woke up in front of the TV to amazing images) but it was the 20th in the US. I'm really looking forward to the 50th anniversary of Apollo 11. Named after the climax to that first manned descent to the moon, this weekly podcast from the BBC World Service is on episode 3 and runs on until the big day. Hope there's lots coming up on UK TV too.
"Now listen you guys, I don't wish to alarm you but there's some pretty weird things going on out here..."

Mark
Committee

Re: 13 Minutes to the Moon

Post by Mark »

That Podcast sound interesting, a good idea too.

Bound to be plenty of TV and Radio coverage for this momentous anniversary.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

A new series has started this week, telling the story of the doomed Apollo 13 mission:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w13xttx2

I didn't get round to listening to the first series until last Christmas, when I binge-listened the whole thing in a couple of days. A truly excellent programme.

Private Frazer
625 lines

Post by Private Frazer »

Thanks for that; how the crew of Apollo 13 survived (and astronaut Jim Lovell's whole career) is amazing.
"Now listen you guys, I don't wish to alarm you but there's some pretty weird things going on out here..."

Richard Charles Skryngestone
625 lines

Post by Richard Charles Skryngestone »

Yes, it's incredible. Literally, it's not credible.
Great News Inside, Chums!

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Covid-19 has intervened in this series in quite a dramatic way. The presenter of the series, Kevin Fong, is also a consultant anaesthetist in the NHS, and anaesthetic lead for Major Incident Planning. Consequently the final episode has had to be postponed to later in the year - with the crew about to enter the Earth's atmosphere with a badly damaged heat shield. Talk about a cliffhanger...

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Only just got round to listening to the final episode of this, which was broadcast in June:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/w3ct0v1r

Private Frazer
625 lines

Post by Private Frazer »

It's a strange coincidence that, fifty years on, a re-telling of the Apollo 13 mission should be interrupted by current events.
(going slightly off-topic, its good for future space programs that all three recent Mars launches were successful)