Sunday Night At The London Palladium - First showing on TV

What's not currently on the box
The Post Office
405 lines

Sunday Night At The London Palladium - First showing on TV

Post by The Post Office »

Tonight's "Sunday Night At The London Palladium" (Sunday 3rd May 2020) on TPtv gets its first showing. It was due to go out on 6th January 1974 but was never broadcast due to a bomb scare.

https://twitter.com/TalkingPicsTV/statu ... 6652348421

https://www.shutterstock.com/editorial/ ... m-1712580a

Brock
HD

Re: Sunday Night At The London Palladium - First showing on TV

Post by Brock »

The Post Office wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 4:33 pm
Tonight's "Sunday Night At The London Palladium" (Sunday 3rd May 2020) on TPtv gets its first showing. It was due to go out on 6th January 1974 but was never broadcast due to a bomb scare.
I remember that incident - I thought transmission was stopped in the middle of the programme, but maybe my memory's playing tricks with me.

I definitely remember the following week's programme when someone (Charlie Drake?) came on carrying a fake bomb, predictably with the word "BOMB" painted on the outside :-)

doubleM
625 lines

Post by doubleM »

Brock wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 5:08 pm
The Post Office wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 4:33 pm
I remember that incident - I thought transmission was stopped in the middle of the programme
Indeed it was.

The version broadcast on TPTV, which has been available on DVD for several years, was very much a compilation bits and pieces effort. The original show from Jan 74, was to feature Humperdinck, Keith Harris and the Tiller Girls. Cliff Richard and Bob Monkhouse and the game show bit were all 'pasted' in from other editions, mostly now lost.
.. ah yes, well worn carpets and the pungent smell of over-boiled vegetables!

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

doubleM wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 7:38 pm
Brock wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 5:08 pm
I remember that incident - I thought transmission was stopped in the middle of the programme
Indeed it was.
Thanks for that. It seems unlikely that they would have continued recording the programme in the middle of a bomb scare but not transmitted it!

I was not quite eight at the time but it was one of those TV events that had a big effect on me back then - like the abrupt rescheduling of Richard Gordon's appearance on This is Your Life (discussed recently).

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

I remember the edition that was taken off as well, the curtains came down and it didn't come back on again.

Checking up in KAl, that edition was on 23/12/73, the second half was replaced with "Sammy", the following weeks edition was the one with Charlie Drake.

The one shown on TPTV was ( as mentioned) due to be shown on 6/1/74, cancelled before broadcast and a compilation put together and not shown, replaced with a Val Doonican show.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Oh I see - were there two separate bomb scares then, one on 23rd Dec and one on 6th Jan?

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

I think there was one previous to the 23rd but they managed to steer the ship back on course (so to speak) before the transmission however that one looked technically a bit rough (ie awkward camera angles, poor microphone setups and may not have had titles etc).

Over on the BBC 'That Life' was also suffering bomb scares. However That's Life was pre-recorded prior to transmission and a bomb scare halted the recording halfway through...so bombs were not going to stop the BBC ..they broadcast the half-finished tape and at the point, it ended they switched back to Esther and Co ( who were back in the theatre ) and finished the show live...and no TV viewer was aware of what had happened.

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

Bomb scares...

...have nothing to do with us.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Brock wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 8:43 am
Oh I see - were there two separate bomb scares then, one on 23rd Dec and one on 6th Jan?
Yes, plus the one Fatcat mentions, the series had a bit of a troubled production with problems of this sort.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

fatcat wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 9:31 am
I think there was one previous to the 23rd but they managed to steer the ship back on course (so to speak) before the transmission however that one looked technically a bit rough (ie awkward camera angles, poor microphone setups and may not have had titles etc).

Over on the BBC 'That Life' was also suffering bomb scares. However That's Life was pre-recorded prior to transmission and a bomb scare halted the recording halfway through...so bombs were not going to stop the BBC ..they broadcast the half-finished tape and at the point, it ended they switched back to Esther and Co ( who were back in the theatre ) and finished the show live...and no TV viewer was aware of what had happened.
There was a lot of them about, back then, Live shows were an obvious target of course, "The Golden Shot" was also affected.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

They are showing "SNATLP" again from the "Hughie Green edition onwards, maybe the Roy Orbison one will turn up this time.!

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

"The Golden Shot" was targeted during the building workers' strike, I recall.
Not a bomb hoax, but a brief transmission asking for public support.
A man appeared in view from (presumably) the audience, leaped for the boom, and, catching it on the second attempt, managed to deliver the lines:
"Support the Building Workers! Support the B...", before being bundled off.
Incidents like this restore one's faith in live television.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

You never get anything like that on "Strictly", do you!

Paul Hayes
625 lines

Post by Paul Hayes »

Eurovision a couple of years back was the last such incident I can remember.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Paul Hayes wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:14 pm
Eurovision a couple of years back was the last such incident I can remember.
I forgot about that, it was the UK entry as well, wasn't it!

jeffcv
405 lines

Post by jeffcv »

Strange one a couple of weeks back with Pete & Dud as top of the bill - I assume the show went out live and they over-ran, as midway through their song "Goodbye" the ATV caption came up and the programme ended - no credits, no waves from everyone else on the revolving stage!

ozsat
625 lines

Post by ozsat »

Two new (to Talking Pictures) episodes are coming up - but they haven't said which ones yet.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

jeffcv wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:09 am
Strange one a couple of weeks back with Pete & Dud as top of the bill - I assume the show went out live and they over-ran, as midway through their song "Goodbye" the ATV caption came up and the programme ended - no credits, no waves from everyone else on the revolving stage!
Yes, it was unusual, but I think you're right, it over ran, there may well have been other instances...but unless they turn up...

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

ozsat wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:53 am
Two new (to Talking Pictures) episodes are coming up - but they haven't said which ones yet.
Can't wait...wonder if they are Brucie ones?

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

Who's in charge?

jeffcv
405 lines

Post by jeffcv »

The picture quality of yesterday's 1973 colour edition of Sunday Night at the London Palladium was (apart from a second or so) very good indeed, far better than one of the Jimmy Tarbuck black and white mid-sixties ones shown recently. But the sound was atrocious - sounded like a cassette tape being played on a machine with a dirty head. It was especially bad during the middle games section, it sounded like there had been print through. I noticed from the end credits that the games had been devised by Jim Smith, which is the real name of the host Jim Dale, so I assume that he was responsible!

Brian F
625 lines

Post by Brian F »

I agree about the sound a bit like the pressure pad keeping the tape on the sound head wasn't making good contact at times. At the end, at least it looked as id the picture was less than full screen height, but that could have been my TV being on "Full frame" not 16:9.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

That 73 edition of "SNATLP" was put together from surviving unedited recordings, as the original show doesn't exist.

The game show section is no more when Ted Rodgers takes over, but you should see last Sunday's game show segment again on the next show!

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

ozsat wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:53 am
Apparently one will be one of the last Jimmy Tarbuck ones with Roy Orbison and The Seekers

and the other one maybe???? the Judy Garland/ Liza Minneli special.... but maybe wrong