Future of BBC Four

What's currently on the box
AndrewP
625 lines

Future of BBC Four

Post by AndrewP »

Given the current threat that the channel is reportedly under, I thought that this academic item was a great read:

https://cstonline.net/everybody-needs-a ... ne-weston/

All the best

Andrew

Michael
625 lines

Re: Future of BBC Four

Post by Michael »

The fate of BBC4 was something I've been wondering about of late too, after recent talk of BBC3 being made into a proper channel again.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Interesting piece, I certainly hope it does keep going, it's still one of the best channels around, and there's plenty to watch, that recent doc on "Ready Steady Go" was excellent.

Can't imagine why it gets so much grief, it's quality and innovation speaks for itself.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

I think its getting grief as its regarded as an old fogey channel that is not attracting the younger viewers..The BBC is worried as a whole that once our generation has gone they will have no viewers at all LOL.

Ian Wegg
625 lines

Post by Ian Wegg »

... and more importantly now that you don't need a TV licence just to own a TV, no revenue.

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

Ian Wegg wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 6:42 am
... and more importantly now that you don't need a TV licence just to own a TV, no revenue.
If the tv licence revenue does collapse then those who object to it will start to realise that the transmission lines and stations for ALL radio and TV need to be maintained ( as the licence fee pays for now) private companies will take over administration and charge what they like and transmission will vary across the UK as some companies will be better than others..

But Freeview/Freesat will probably be the first casualties.

The yearly licence fee will be small change compared to what you will be paying to various hangers-on in the TV/radio chain in the future and the BBC will be plastered with ads to boot.

These people should be careful what they wish for.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

With The BBC demonstrating their worth during the emergency, you would expect a change of attitude, although hanging on to any sort of standard on TV these days seems to be getting harder and harder.

Getting rid of BBC Four, and aiming for a young audience won't do them any favours though, along with Sky Arts, it offers much needed quality amongst the never ending 'celebrity' culture.

Ian Wegg
625 lines

Post by Ian Wegg »

The attitude of the older viewers isn't the problem, they may be moaning about it but still pay their licence fee anyway.

I have three children in their twenties (21, 25 and 28). None of them watches broadcast television or has a TV licence. Only one of them even has a TV. The Netflix generation is getting older and the BBC means nothing to them.

Private Frazer
D-MAC

Post by Private Frazer »

I like BBC4's output but I don't mind if there's some room for it on BBC2 (any time of day) so fewer channels could mean better quality.

The main TV channels lost most of their live sport this year of course which didn't help keep viewers and some undoubtedly went to the currently fashionable platforms which have grown in the past by screening productions like Game Of Thrones etc. But they'll need plenty of new ideas to keep their audience, and Netflix new space comedy is certainly an expensive gamble. Surely the BBC, with all its experience and in proving it can make so many great TV dramas, is in the best position to compete long-term with any new providers.
"Now listen you guys, I don't wish to alarm you but there's some pretty weird things going on out here..."

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

I wouldn't like to see BBC Four go, it's one of about half a dozen or so I watch, there's plenty from the rest of the 200 which must be expendable.

I like Challenge TV, but as with many channels, they concentrate on more recent shows, despite a decent archive of game shows from several decades, although they have dusted down "Blankety Blank" for another showing, so more like that would be welcome.