Fictitious search engines in TV shows

What's currently on the box
Ian Wegg
625 lines

Fictitious search engines in TV shows

Post by Ian Wegg »

Watching Queens Of Mystery last night (a story involving an old Rock Band reforming but I won't go into that) got me wondering about why characters in TV shows never use Google. My initial thought was that perhaps it constituted product placement but a quick WebSeek found an article from TV Insider that suggests getting the right permissions from Google is not easy.

I know I have seen a variety of non-Google sites over the years but apart from last night's example - which I thought was rather clever - I can only currently recall one other. Does anyone else have a fictitious TV Seach Engine to add to the list?

WebSeek - Doctors
SirCheesy - Queens of Mystery
Voggle - Coronation Street

Brock
HD

Re: Fictitious search engines in TV shows

Post by Brock »

Didn't John Finnemore's Souvenir Programme do a sketch based on this idea? (Radio 4.)

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

I wonder if it is easier to create a fictional engine rather than have problems with misrepresentation i.e. type in query and the top response tells you whodunnit, where to find them, and what the motives were. A similar thing to the almost standard disclaimer that 'Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental'.

It got me thinking about what I used before Google came along. Altavista, AskJeeves, Yahoo!, and Northern Lights all sprang to mind, but I am sure there were others. Webcrawler also seems to ring a bell. Its about 27 years ago that I first started with email, and I think 25 years since I used the web with the browser Mosaic, and then Netscape. In that time so much has come and gone, so perhaps there is also an element of not mentioning something by name, and just using an idea to keep some sort of shelf life for a programme.

Don Satchley
625 lines

Post by Don Satchley »

Don't forget Lycos and Metacrawler!

Brian F
D-MAC

Post by Brian F »

"All the Web", as well, that got taken over by Yahoo, but I still have it bookmarked.

David Smith
405 lines

Post by David Smith »

Ian Wegg wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:30 pm
Does anyone else have a fictitious TV Seach Engine to add to the list?

WebSeek - Doctors
SirCheesy - Queens of Mystery
Voggle, as I recall, turns up in Corrie quite a lot.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Brock wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:03 pm
Didn't John Finnemore's Souvenir Programme do a sketch based on this idea? (Radio 4.)
Yep - and it's on right now!