Your childhood comics.

From Buster to Wizard (I couldn't think of any comics beginning with 'A' and 'Z'...)
prisoner5
625 lines

Re: Your childhood comics.

Post by prisoner5 »

As a child i had Eagle comic, wish i had saved them, then as a teenager mid 60s i loved horror films and would bike 7 miles to a stall on market days to buy Famous monsters of filmland magazine edited by Forest j ackerman and published by Warren publishing, featuring Universal movies starring the likes of Boris karloff, Bela lugosi etc, Castle of frankenstein was a very informative mag i loved containing less juvenile puns, and 2 comic book style mags called Creepy and Eerie also published by warren.

Private Frazer
D-MAC

Post by Private Frazer »

The Beano recently celebrated its 80th Anniversary
Dick Dastardley and Mutley in Wacky Races have more than a passing resemblance to their Dennis and Gnasher. I remember mostly, however, how strange the world of The Numbskulls seemed and how funny Colonel Blink the short sighted gink was in their earlier appearances in The Beezer; must have bought that more than the Beano.
"Now listen you guys, I don't wish to alarm you but there's some pretty weird things going on out here..."

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

The Numbskulls fascinated me, as a concept. (I liked their two-tone artwork, too).
Blinky was great. I wonder if anyone found him 'offensive'?

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Yes, I remember the Numskulls (I think that was the spelling) from The Beezer, which I had delivered every week. Didn't realize they'd transferred to The Beano.

Did those little men living in the various "departments" have "Numskulls" of their own, I wonder?

Don Satchley
625 lines

Post by Don Satchley »

When I was little my mum bought me Buttons comic. It usually featured Postman Pat and other BBC childrens' programmes.

cdnbob
625 lines

Post by cdnbob »

I didn't really buy comics that much as a kid. I remember picking up the odd one like a Bugs Bunny comic or something similar. I don't remember there being a lot around at the stores I use to spend money at and I think by the time I went into an actual book store I was around 12,13 or 14. By then I wasn't interested in comics. I think if you were a kid growing up in the UK, you had far more sources to buy comics at than I recall as a kid growing up in Canada.

Private Frazer
D-MAC

Post by Private Frazer »

I noticed from the online 'TV Action' editions that in Issue 100 the start of The Protectors, next week, was announced. Instead of a story about "the kidnap of a popstar whose name might sound familiar" the first story was changed to one about an italian crime gang. There are about ten Protectors stories, the later ones serialised and a Summer Special; from 1973. I'm enjoying them as extra episodes.
"Now listen you guys, I don't wish to alarm you but there's some pretty weird things going on out here..."

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

There was also a "Protectors" Annual.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Private Frazer
D-MAC

Post by Private Frazer »

Mark wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:27 pm
There was also a "Protectors" Annual.
Thanks, I forgot about that.

Private Frazer
D-MAC

Post by Private Frazer »

Got the Annual now and taking my time. Caroline is drawn looking very young in the first one! I hope the writing is as good as in the second story about Caroline smuggling fashion. It really is like getting more episodes; any fan of 'The Protectors' must enjoy this annual!

Richard Woods
405 lines

Post by Richard Woods »

When I was very young I used to get Harold Hare Weekly & whatever the Watch with Mother comic was (Play hour?). From primary school age, it was always Sparky, used to really enjoy Puss & Boots, you can’t beat a bit of gratuitous violence in a comic. The Sparky people was an interesting concept, a comic strip about the office workers, the boss was called Sir & all you used to see of him was his shoe, usually kicking someone up the backside. Beezer as a good back up, used to love the Numskulls. When Sparky was consumed by W&C (I think), I went on to Cor! My claim to fame, I was in picture yourself, as an Egyptologist. Sadly they delayed it for years & I was too old to be reading it by then. Ah well you can’t win em all. The final one was Look In of course.
don’t bite the hand of the dog that feeds you.

Brian F
D-MAC

Post by Brian F »

I got a mention of my rabbit in Harold Hare's Weekly. A story about him running under the fireplace grate and coming out far from white.