Andy Marriott's Television Show

The good stuff on the wireless and in the shops
Brock
HD

Re: Andy Marriott's Television Show

Post by Brock »

Mark wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:43 am
It was the Skellern version of 'She' on the TV series, wasn't it?
Ah, I may be getting confused about this. It was Aznavour's own version that got into the charts, but now you mention it I think it was Skellern's version on the TV series.
Not sure about "The Liver Birds", but probably the lyrics on the TV version were more 'Suitable' for a SIt-Com.
I'm confused about this one as well! The Scaffold are credited with composing and performing the theme tune that was used on the TV series, but the lyrics on the commercially released version are completely different from the ones on the TV series, and the musical arrangement is different too (though they both use the same traditional tune). The version that was played on the show last week was never to my knowledge used in the TV series. Unlike the version that was played, the TV lyrics were directly relevant to the characters:

"What's got four legs, walks peculiar
Talks with all the choicest words
What's got four arms, loves to grab you
Answer is two Liver Birds.

If you're standing on the corner
All alone and feeling low
Liver Birds'll come and grab you
Singing ee i ad ee o"

Plus the memorable exchange (spoken during the closing sequence):

"You dancin'?
You askin'?
I'm askin'
I'm dancin'!"

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

There are a number of themes that were released with a different arrangement, and in some cases inferior ones.

"The Likely Lads" ( original series) and "Inigo Pipkin" to name but two, and "Our House" wasn't as good as the TV version, but not far off though.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Well, well, well! Just when I thought the programme was in danger of getting a bit samey, Mr Marriott comes up with an hour of absolutely cracking material. There were some themes I'd never heard before (e.g. Hunter's Walk) which I thought were absolutely delightful, and one or two that I'd all but forgotten about (e.g. This Year Next Year). My only criticism was that a couple were cut off far too early - The Far Pavilions and Justice. (The latter is better known to me as "Crown Imperial", originally written by William Walton for the coronation of Edward VIII, which never happened of course, but it was played at the coronation of George VI and other Royal occasions.) According to Andy Marriott, "Crown Imperial" was also used for the recent Heathrow TV series, which I haven't seen.

A few other great classical composers today as well - Vaughan Williams (Symphony No 6) for A Family at War, Khachaturian ("Spartacus") for The Onedin Line, and Respighi ("The Birds") for Going For A Song. And a couple of chart hits - Clannad's theme from Harry's Game, and Jack Trombey's chart-topping "Eye Level" from the original Van Der Valk. And it started with two Laurie Johnson themes for different incarnations of The Avengers, which I thought was quite neat. And thanks to the listener who requested Screen Test - I haven't heard that for ages!

The Avengers (60s), The New Avengers, Lucy, The Waltons, A Family at War, Tenko, Cannon, Van Der Valk, Hunter's Walk, The Far Pavilions, The Onedin Line, Nationwide, Going for a Song, Inspector Morse, Screen Test, Maigret, International Detective, No Hiding Place

Ads - Butlins, Horlicks, 1001, Birds Eye Crispy Cod Fries

The Man From Atlantis, The Outer Limits, The Power Game, The Champions, Robin of Sherwood, Harry's Game, The Main Chance (series 1), This Year Next Year, Bewitched, Alias Smith & Jones, Magnum PI, Miss Adventure, Justice, Dad's Army, Blackadder II, Barnaby Jones, Hawaii Five-O

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

I didn't know about the "Heathrow" series either, both themes over in a flash.

"Hunter's Walk" is a great theme. always nice to hear that one, other fav's were "Tenko", "Nationwide", "Maigret" and of course the two "Avengers" themes.

"The Power Game" theme is the one usually played, a jazzed up version, great tune though, I half expected it to follow "The Plane Makers", on a previous show.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Just waiting for the programme to start and the previous presenter is finishing with "There's a Whole Lot of Loving" by Guys and Dolls, which was written for a TV commercial for McVitie's biscuits. Don't know if this is deliberate!

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

And so to the programme itself, which once again started with an Avengers theme - this time the early one by Johnny Dankworth, which was utterly different from any of the others. It was good to hear Strange Report in full, rather than just the snatch of it that normally opens and closes the programme. George Fenton's music for The Jewel in the Crown was excellent as always, as was Ronnie Hazlehurst's theme for Last of the Summer Wine (played on this occasion by Norrie Paramor). We also had Denis King's charming theme for Lovejoy, and the 1981 number 2 hit "Chi Mai", written by Ennio Morricone and used for The Life and Times of David Lloyd George.

One or two oddities: the eerie theme to the Granada schools programme Picture Box, and something from an early Gerry Anderson series called Torchy the Battery Boy. (I'll be happy if he doesn't play that one again!) The catchiest one was undoubtedly the theme from On the Move, written by Alan Hawkshaw and performed by the Dooleys. Andy M said he hated the programme, which seemed rather unfair since it presumably wasn't aimed at him.

The Avengers (Johnny Dankworth), Adam Adamant, The Sweeney, The Gay Cavalier, William Tell, Strange Report, Thomas & Sarah, The Ruth Rendell Mysteries, Mr Magoo, Flipper, Torchy the Battery Boy, Cranford, Jewel in the Crown, Clarence, The Adventurer, On the Move, Lovejoy, Moon & Son

(Ads - Fairy Snow, Kellogg's Corn Flakes, Flash)

Yogi Bear, The Adventures of Parsley, Trumpton, Swallows & Amazons Forever, Nancy Astor, Professional Wrestling, The Life and Times of David Lloyd George, Escape into Night, Harry Worth, Last of the Summer Wine, Picture Box, Terry & June, Ladies in Charge, Go With Noakes (closing theme)

yellowtriumph
405 lines

Post by yellowtriumph »

I loved “Torchy the battery boy’ at the time of it’s original tx.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

yellowtriumph wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:51 am
I loved “Torchy the battery boy’ at the time of it’s original tx.
Just to clarify, I'd never seen the programme or even heard of it until yesterday. My comments related purely to the theme tune, which I thought was awful. It's very rarely that Andy plays a piece of music that I actively dislike.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

I rather like the "Torchy" theme, quite charming and magical, like the series.

On Guys and Dolls, they had another song later on, Only Lovin' Does It, used for OXO.

Good show again, this week, I was also surprised about "On The Move", it wasn't aimed at me either but I watched it and found it very entertaining.

I remember one edition, in which a number of the well known Actors from the various editions appeared together and sang the theme themselves, amongst the ones I recall seeing were Patricia Hayes, Gay Hamilton and Martin Shaw.

A mistake with "The Herbs" though...it was actually "The Adventures Of Parsley", the five minute length spin-off!

Favourites this week included "The Avengers", "Adam Adamant" and "Escape Into Night".

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Mark wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:05 pm
A mistake with "The Herbs" though...it was actually "The Adventures Of Parsley", the five minute length spin-off!
Corrected.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Brock wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:53 am
Mark wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:05 pm
Corrected.
Either it was a genuine mistake or they couldn't get the "Herbs" theme, seems unlikely though, the theme from the parent show is a lovely gentle one.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

A tribute to Geoffrey Palmer this week, with not only the themes from three of his best-known shows but also a clip from one of them. I think my favourite was George Fenton's theme for Shoestring. Oddest choice was ATV Today, which (as Andy M acknowledged) most listeners wouldn't have had a clue about!

Query: he described Children of the Stones as an "early-evening series", but as far as I know it was only ever broadcast in the afternoons. Did it get an evening repeat?

The Wednesday Play, Inigo Pipkin, Sir Francis Drake, The Adventures of Sir Lancelot, Call the Midwife, Wings, Class Act, First Born, Grange Hill[*], Huckleberry Hound, Falcon Crest, Neighbours, Raffles, The Agatha Christie Hour, The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin, Butterflies, As Time Goes By (clip + theme), C.A.T.S. Eyes, Special Squad

Ads - Flash, Smarties

I Dream of Jeannie, Quincy M.E., WKRP in Cincinnati, A Family at War, Fortunes of War, Shoestring, Z Cars, ATV Today, First Wave, Forever Green, Children of the Stones, Sky, The Main Chance

[*]"Chicken Man" by Alan Hawkshaw - also the original theme for Give Us a Clue, although he didn't mention this.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

"Stones" got a repeat but not evening though.

Good line up in this one, again, favs include the Telefantasy ones as usual, also "Inigo Pipkin" and "Raffles", which is a beautiful theme, it's a shame there doesn't appear to be a full version, as there is for the also excellent "The Agatha Christie Hour".

"Cat's Eyes" was shortened as it's a much longer theme than that, and on the b-side of the single was a vocal version.

Also enjoyed a full version of the first theme for "The Main Chance", a reasonable cover.

...And yes, "Shoestring" is a great piece of music.

The Geoffrey Palmer tribute was very nicely done.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Mark wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:51 am
"Stones" got a repeat but not evening though.
Yes, that's what I thought. I seem to remember Follyfoot being described as an "early evening" series as well (maybe by one of the other presenters). Either his memory is playing tricks with him, or he has a rather different definition of "early evening" from most of us!

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

I think I mentioned that Paul Robey (the weekday afternoon presenter) always plays a couple of TV themes in his show, and today it was a nice surprise to hear Johnny Hawksworth's theme for series 1 of George & Mildred - so much better than the bland theme that replaced it for the rest of the run!

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

It is a very good theme, although I must admit I do like the second one as well, as I have always liked electronic music.

I don't know if It exists as a full version or not, but there does seem to be different sections played on the various series, same thing happens with "Robin's Nest", so maybe there are longer versions.

It's a shame some themes only exist as short versions to fit the titles and credits, I think "Are You Being Served" is another example.

I was also thinking of the vocal version of "Last Of The Summer Wine" played the other week, there has been a few versions of it with different lyrics, but the one I really liked was sung by a choir and used at the end of a Christmas episode, but I don't know if it exists as a full version either

Another vocal theme version that works really well is for "Howard's Way" (Always There) sung by Marti Webb.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Did Andy M slip up this week? He played "Mars, The Bringer of War" from Gustav Holst's Planets suite, announcing it as the theme to the Thames TV adaptation of Quatermass starring John Mills. I never saw the Thames version, but Wikipedia says it had theme music by Nic Rowley and Marc Wilkinson. As far as I know, the Holst theme was used for the original 1950s BBC series The Quatermass Experiment.

Anyway, another good selection, starting with a couple of classic John Barry themes and including two different eras of Randall and Hopkirk. There was a version of the Hi-de-Hi theme I hadn't heard before, sung by Paul Shane with members of the cast (the version used on the programme was sung by Ken Barrie). Take the High Road was an interesting request, though I'd have preferred the version used in the earlier series. Good to hear Dave Allen at Large, though it seemed to be cut a bit short. I think my favourite had to be Man About the House.

At the end there was Mah Nà Mah Nà, originally written for an Italian exploitation film to accompany footage of Swedish women going into a sauna, but better known when it came to prominence on The Muppet Show. Not a theme tune of course (as he admitted), but a nice piece of TV nostalgia none the less.

The Baron, The Persuaders, The Quatermass Experiment (introduced as Quatermass), Strangers, Diff'rent Strokes, Shoulder to Shoulder, Owen MD, Randall & Hopkirk (Deceased) (remake), Randall & Hopkirk (Deceased) (original), Paddington Bear, Just William, Wacky Races, Manimal, Buck Rogers in the 25th Century

Ads - Nestle's Milk, Penguin, Nimble

Young Indiana Jones, The District Nurse (series 3), The Power Game, Thank Your Lucky Stars, The New Avengers, Return of the Saint, Hi-de-Hi, Blind Date, Winston Churchill - The Wilderness Years, Hine, Take the High Road, A Country Practice, Dave Allen at Large, Terry & June, Man about the House, Mah Nà Mah Nà (from The Muppet Show)

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Yes, that was odd about "Quatermass", not the electronic theme from the Euston version at all.

Glad we got the proper "R&H" theme after the revival, as he said, that's better!

Much preferred the vocal version of "Buck Rogers" as used on the theatrical release ( the titles were also better!) not that I cared for the show very though.

Wasn't there a bit of a fuss over the "Strangers" theme, at the time, sounding like a well known song?...can't recall the title though.

Amongst my favs, this week were the ITC shows and "The New Avengers".

I'm sure that 'Mah Na Mah NA' song had been in the charts before The Muppets got hold of it, remember hearing it on the radio a lot!

brigham
HD

Post by brigham »

A minor hit in the late 60s. I had the 45.

captainpigeon
405 lines

Post by captainpigeon »

Mark wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:51 am

Wasn't there a bit of a fuss over the "Strangers" theme, at the time, sounding like a well known song?...can't recall the title though.

The Strangers theme is very similar to "Birdland" by Weather Report.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

captainpigeon wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:14 am
Mark wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:51 am

The Strangers theme is very similar to "Birdland" by Weather Report.
Indeed - we even had a thread about it here.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Thanks Captain Pigeon and Brock.

That thread must have stuck in my mind, the theme does sound very similar indeed.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

brigham wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:33 am
A minor hit in the late 60s. I had the 45.
That long ago...blimus.!

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

From Wikipedia:
"Mah Nà Mah Nà" was a hit in many countries in 1968–1969. In the U.S., it peaked at #55 in the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart and #44 on the Cash Box magazine chart in October 1969. It also reached #12 on the U.S. Adult Contemporary chart. In Canada the song reached #22 in the RPM Magazine charts. The UK single release, on the Major Minor label, was credited to "The Great Unknowns", and featured Giorgio Moroder's "Doo-be-doo-be-do" on the B side (also sometimes featured in The Benny Hill Show). Umiliani's own version reached number 8 in the UK in 1977.
There's also a detailed section on the use of the tune in The Benny Hill Show:
On the new Thames incarnation of The Benny Hill Show, "Mah Na Mah Na" was part of an organized, horn-driven, four-song instrumental comic medley, starting off with a percussion tapping beat of the track leading into a rendition of "Doo-Bee-Doo-Bee-Doo", a very early track written by famed record producer Giorgio Moroder, which in itself was loosely based on and, as a result, bears a tightly similar rhythm and style to "Mah Na Mah Na". The four-song medley then continues with a rendition of "Für Elise" (which is always heard with the accompaniment of a flute and a muted trumpet), then "Mah Na Mah Na", finally finishing with "Gimme Dat Ding", then looping back to the start of the progression.

This medley was first used on Thames Episode 10, which was first screened on British television on November the 24th, 1971.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Ah right...the 77 one I remember well, Eddie Large used to sing it in many a Little and Large routine at the time.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Most interesting selection this week was the Channel 4 News theme by Alan Hawkshaw - and to answer Andy M's question, I believe it's still in use to this day. I think my highlight had to be the finale from Prokofiev's Symphony No 1, known as the "Classical" Symphony (not "Classic" - Andy M please note!), used as the theme tune to YTV's The Flaxton Boys; Penmarric by Richard Hartley is also worth a mention, plus "That's Livin' Alright" by Joe Fagin (Auf Wiedersehen Pet). Sadly he only played the 51-second version of "The Lightning Tree" by the Settlers (Follyfoot), explaining that he had a lot to fit in this week; some other time perhaps?

Mark: back in September you said "General Hospital was also on recently, and still not the first and best version". Was this week's version the one you were referring to? (I don't remember it.)

Follyfoot, The Racing Game, The Flaxton Boys, The Man from U.N.C.L.E., The Monkees, The Adventures of Robinson Crusoe, Belle & Sebastian, Crossroads, Bouquet of Barbed Wire, Prisoner Cell Block H (closing theme), Paul Temple, Brad Farrar, Sea Hunt, Maverick, Doctor in the House, And Mother Makes Three, Beau Geste

Ads - McVitie's Chocolate Wholewheat (featuring "You've Got the Whole World In Your Hands"), Sunshine Rinso

Dr Kildare, Penmarric, General Hospital (Jack Urbont), Play Away, Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons[*], Auf Wiedersehen Pet, The Virginian, Thriller, Hammer House of Horror, The Twilight Zone (series 2 onwards), Kojak, Cagney and Lacey, Channel 4 News, Little House on the Prairie, Doctor Who (Colin Baker era), The Tomorrow People

[*]After the discussion of "misremembered titles", I feel impelled to quote this one in full!

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Brock wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:36 pm
Mark: back in September you said "General Hospital was also on recently, and still not the first and best version". Was this week's version the one you were referring to? (I don't remember it.)
Nope...the "General Hospital" theme played this week was actually one of the themes to the US soap series of the same name.

Whether that was the one requested I don't know, as it wasn't mentioned, could be crossed wires over that one, I suppose.

Some good ones again this week, I wonder why we don't get the full version of "Robinson Crusoe" rather than about 15 seconds of it, as it's such a good theme, perhaps it's the same reason as with "Follyfoot", either that or they can't get hold of a copy ( wasn't it the same short clip of it played a few weeks ago?) it was the full version again of "Belle And Sebastian".

I also enjoyed the 'Classical Symphony', "The Flaxton Boys" was a great series, other favs include "Paul Temple", "Thriller", "Doctor In The House", "Doctor Who" ( just the intro version though) and the full version of "The Tomorrow People".

This weeks 'Spot the Ad VO' goes to Gordon Jackson on the Choccy Biccy Ad, I think it was anyway!

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Don't think I can sort this lot out until tomorrow...

But I'm gobsmacked by Crown Court. What did he say? "Most people ask for the end theme, but this is the beginning theme." Or something like that.

The one he played was "Distant Hills" - the end theme. The beginning theme was from the fourth movement of Janacek's Sinfonietta - which he didn't play.

Come on Andy, you can do better than this!

David Ballard
405 lines

Post by David Ballard »

Yes, he did get that one wrong. Having been listening to Andy's Television Show since the 1980s I'm fairly sure he will know that so I suspect he recorded the links separately and maybe the track was mislabelled in the system.

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

David Ballard wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:42 pm
Yes, he did get that one wrong. Having been listening to Andy's Television Show since the 1980s I'm fairly sure he will know that so I suspect he recorded the links separately and maybe the track was mislabelled in the system.
Gosh, has it been going that long? What station was it on? Serenade Radio only started in 2015.

The track was credited correctly on the website, so I don't think it could have been mislabelled.

Anyway, a day late, here's the complete list for anyone who wants it:

The Hair Bear Bunch, Dynasty, Trainer, Howards' Way, Crown Court ("Distant Hills"), Crimewatch UK, Grandstand ("News Scoop"), Pebble Mill at One, Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads?, Hong Kong Phooey, The Herbs (clip), Wacaday, Shabby Tiger, Brideshead Revisited, Tomorrow's World, Doomwatch

Ads - British oil (generic - they don't make ads like that any more!), Nimble, Smash, Burton

When the Boat Comes In, The Streets of San Francisco, Please Sir!, Yus, My Dear, The Flashing Blade, Timeslip, Battlestar Galactica, Mind Your Language, The Durrells, K9 and Company (only one episode ever made!), The Doris Day Show (US sitcom), The Cedar Tree, The Harry Worth Comedy Hour, Yes Minister, Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em, Who Wants to be a Millionaire?, Mastermind ("Approaching Doom")

No big stand-out favourites this week, though Crimewatch UK and Tomorrow's World were worth hearing again.