Missing Believed Wiped 2020

What's not currently on the box
Mark
Committee

Missing Believed Wiped 2020

Post by Mark »

Clips have ben uploaded to YT of material recovered, with some very interesting stuff.

Several clips are from a 1976 compilation tape of "Anita In Jumbeland" ( with Anita Harris), and appear to be out-takes, Clive Dunn and Billy Dainty amongst the guests, the magic carpet one is great.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Colin Cutler
405 lines

Re: Missing Believed Wiped 2020

Post by Colin Cutler »

Wonderful stuff - the inclusion of the (now colourised) clips from the 1968 Peter Cushing Sherlock Holmes series was a real highlight. Apparently there is also a clip from the episode ‘The Solitary Cyclist’ which was also part of the same preview. Never thought anything else from this series would ever come to light, so this was a real treat.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Audio of "The Solitary Cyclist" has turned up, apparently.

Colin Cutler
405 lines

Post by Colin Cutler »

Mark wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:47 am
Audio of "The Solitary Cyclist" has turned up, apparently.
Very exciting news indeed - just missing a few sections apparently, but certainly cause to celebrate :-)

Ironic that the last 'near' find was way back circa 2002, when the BBC Learning DVD of Hound of the Baskervilles was released. I recall that the nice chap coordinating the project was handed a box of ageing reel-to-reel tapes - most were unplayable, and the only one with any real playback was 'The Boscombe Valley Mystery' - one of the surviving episodes! Ah well, as they say, all good things come to they who wait :-)

Regards
Colin

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Typical, it should be an existing one, but it's not surprising it's a series that would be audio recorded, so who knows what else will turn up.

Colin Cutler
405 lines

Post by Colin Cutler »

Yes, certainly keeping the fingers crossed here.
I do recall circa 1996 being sent a 20 minute off-air recording of The Bruce Partington Plans (from the earlier 1965 series).
It seemed such a rare gem of a recording at the time - never thought that one day we’d be treated to the wonderful presentation that was included on the BFI set.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Always hopeful for more!.

What are the chances of more "Out Of The Unknown" audio turning up?

Odd having just clips from some though.

Colin Cutler
405 lines

Post by Colin Cutler »

Nothing new on that front I regret to say - though I’m aware that the chap who thankfully recorded and preserved ‘The Uninvited’ also recalled taping ‘The Chopper’ - unfortunately we can assume that particular tape is long gone...

The only other info that had raised my hopes in recent years was the inclusion (erroneous we have to assume) of another off-air audio of ‘Immortality Inc.’ on the old BBC Motion Gallery listing - however, it seems there were just the two OOTU soundtracks that were definitely on the shelves - which of course have since found their way on to the BFI DVD. And eternally grateful I am for this :)

Curiously, I never did find out from whence those off-airs originally came...

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

That's a shame, it's an obvious one to have recorded at the time, so there's likely to be a some more I would have thought.

A full version of "The Prophet" and "Get Off My Cloud" would be top of my list.

Glad we have "Beach Head", but still hopeful for a film print!

Colin Cutler
405 lines

Post by Colin Cutler »

Mark wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:51 pm
Glad we have "Beach Head", but still hopeful for a film print!
Indeed - although the horse has long since bolted at it were, it is tempting to speculate whether the 35mm print shown at the Trieste Fantasy Film Festival would have been retained if it had scooped first prize (as was the case with The Machine Stops the preceding year).