The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe 1979

Film, stage, music, books and so on...
Simon36
HD

The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe 1979

Post by Simon36 »

I loved this version of the story, the animated gem that turned up on tv at Christmas a fair bit when I was a tot. For years I've only been able to find the US version with American voices. Ive now tracked down the one with the English cast but amazingly the end credits list the American cast! Im really curious to know who voiced the British one.

I am sure that its good old Stephen Garlick voicing Peter, and its Leslie Phillips as Tumnus, Arthur Lowe and June Whitfield as the Beavers and Stephen Thorne I think was in both as Aslan but does anyone know who did the others?

Nigel Stapley
625 lines

Re: The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe 1979

Post by Nigel Stapley »

Yes, Stephen Garlick voiced Peter, and you're right about the others.

I think Sheila Hancock voiced the witch, and I'm not sure whether Peter Hawkins was involved as well.

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

Yes I read it was SH though it doesn't sound much like her. Its a brilliant voicing mind!

Just cant place who is voicing the other kids! Leo McKern is the professor.

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Post by Simon Coward »

TVTimes lists the following voice actors:

Sheila Hancock, Peter Hawkins, Arthur Lowe, Leo McKern, Leslie Phillips, Stephen Thorne, June Whitfield, Lisa Moss, Shelley Crowhurst, Stephen Garlick and Nicholas Barnes

and I would guess at the last four being the children.

The BFI's SIFT database lists the following:

HANCOCK, Sheila
HAWKINS, Peter
LOWE, Arthur
McKERN, Leo
PHILLIPS, Leslie
WHITFIELD, June
MOSS, Lisa
CROWHURST, Shelley
WARREN, Rachel - voice of Lucy
SOKOL, SUSAN - voice of Susan
WILLIAMS, Reg - Voice of Peter
ADAMS, Simon - voice of Edmund
SPIRETTI, Victor - voice of MrTumnus
VOSBURGH, Dick - voice of the Professor
PARKER, Don - voice of Mr Beaver
PROUD, Liz - voice of Mrs Beaver
THORNE, Stephen - voice of Mrs Beaver
PORTER, Beth - voice of the Witch

which I think is a mixture of the English and American credits, though I suspect Stephen Thorne didn't really voice Mrs Beaver in either version.
We all have to eat a peck of dirt before we die.

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

Thanks Simon for the list from SIFT. I'd like to remind people that there are various places to do initial searches and to quote Mr Wolf from the terms and condition:

If you are looking for transmission dates or other basic information about shows, the BFI's SIFT database - http://old.bfi.org.uk/filmtvinfo/ftvdb/ [edit address updated] - should be your first stop. Also, a local library membership often gives users access to historical newspaper databases, such as the Times Digital Archive. Asking for information here should only be done as a supplement to your own original research, or as a last resort when other avenues have failed.

Shaqui
625 lines

Post by Shaqui »

stearn wrote:Thanks Simon for the list from SIFT. I'd like to remind people that there are various places to do initial searches and to quote Mr Wolf from the terms and condition:

If you are looking for transmission dates or other basic information about shows, the BFI's SIFT database - http://old.bfi.org.uk/filmtvinfo/ftvdb/ [edit address updated] - should be your first stop. Also, a local library membership often gives users access to historical newspaper databases, such as the Times Digital Archive. Asking for information here should only be done as a supplement to your own original research, or as a last resort when other avenues have failed.
That link no longer seems to work...

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

Seems it is here: http://old.bfi.org.uk/filmtvinfo/ftvdb/

Thanks Shaqui

Mothy
405 lines

Post by Mothy »

As I recall, in the English version it was Arthur Lowe who did the voice for Mr Beaver.

Shaqui
625 lines

Post by Shaqui »

I recall you asking this question way back on the old forum:

http://www.mausoleumclubforum.org.uk/xm ... #pid111539

- and I responded back then after finding my off-air copy:

Shiela Hancock - The Witch
Arthur Lowe - Mr Beaver
Leo McKern - The Professor
Leslie Phillips - Mr Tumnus
Stephen Thorne - Aslan (so yes he did both!)
June Whitfield - Mrs Beaver
Peter Hawkins - The Dwarf & Fox
Nicholas Barnes - Edmund
Shelley Crowhurst - Susan
Stephen Garlick - Peter
Lisa Moss - Lucy

:-?

stearn
Committee

Post by stearn »

Thanks Shaqui,

I suppose the the inevitable reminder that the old forum is still on life support but no longer taking solids should be made. This is the only problem of not being able to migrate posts - it means there are two places to use the search function.

Shaqui
625 lines

Post by Shaqui »

Yes, though I wasn't sure how far the search went on the old forum and I think some sections remain corrupted? Even so, I've amazed it was 7 years ago! :-o

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

Many thanks everyone: just to say that this WAS an enquiry to supplement what Id already found as the online listings are all the US cast only. So grateful to finally have those voices identified. Extraordinary that even the UK print of the film lists the alternative cast only!

ctraynor
D-MAC

Post by ctraynor »

I'll have to catch it some time. I like the cast list that Shaqui posted. Perfect. Leo McKern as Mr Tumnus, Stephen Thorne as Azal (sorry, Aslan), Leslie Philips as Tumnus, Arthur Lowe as Mr Beaver.

I'm old enough to (I'm using that phrase more often these days) remember the 1967 Lion, Witch and Wardrobe on ITV. Most of the episodes of that are long gone. Remember missing episodes when we went on holiday for a few weeks (it ran in the summer). Jack Woolgar was the prof.

David Plaice
405 lines

Post by David Plaice »

ctraynor wrote: I'm old enough to (I'm using that phrase more often these days) remember the 1967 Lion, Witch and Wardrobe on ITV.
I remember being terrified by the scene in that production where the witch turned herself and her dwarf into rocks, hiding in plain sight and very menacing.

Simon36
HD

Post by Simon36 »

Yes indeed! The Witch is astounding, the scene where she first meets Edmund and also the slaying of Aslan are both very grotesquely done. It's still my favourite version of the book.