Thoughts on Van Der Valk

What's currently on the box
Mark
Committee

Re: Thoughts on Van Der Valk

Post by Mark »

I thought the first episode was the best of the three, but the final episodes climax was very well done, and explains a lot about the character, also setting up questions about the newcomer to the team, but I don't think it has been well received critically has it?...so will there be anymore anyway?
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

yellowtriumph
405 lines

Post by yellowtriumph »

Happened to catch one of these on TPTV on the telly last night, I did not see any of this series originally as I was a student at the time with other things to do than watch telly!

I really enjoyed everything about it, the quality of the acting from all the main characters, the mixture of VT and 16mm film typical of the time, but most of all I was delighted at how much written material and storyline they got into an ITV 60 minute drama. I thought it was going to be a somewhat simplified storyline to fit in with a simple clock hour, but I was delighted at the amount of plot detail they packed in.

Can’t remember what it was called now, something along the lines of ‘A death at Sea’ with Patrick Allen, easy to forget just how good an actor he really was.

I’ll make a prediction, with the seeming explosion of TV channels and the incremental reduction in revenue for each company I think Drama will return to studios in a large way sometime in the future, it simply has to be cheaper in the long term.

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

yellowtriumph wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 8:13 am
Happened to catch one of these on TPTV on the telly last night, I did not see any of this series originally as I was a student at the time with other things to do than watch telly!

I really enjoyed everything about it, the quality of the acting from all the main characters, the mixture of VT and 16mm film typical of the time, but most of all I was delighted at how much written material and storyline they got into an ITV 60 minute drama. I thought it was going to be a somewhat simplified storyline to fit in with a simple clock hour, but I was delighted at the amount of plot detail they packed in.

Can’t remember what it was called now, something along the lines of ‘A death at Sea’ with Patrick Allen, easy to forget just how good an actor he really was.

I’ll make a prediction, with the seeming explosion of TV channels and the incremental reduction in revenue for each company I think Drama will return to studios in a large way sometime in the future, it simply has to be cheaper in the long term.
I think you're right, but whether we have the calibre of actors now that can plough through vast pages of script without having a cut is perhaps another matter.
Another gem TPTV have unearthed is a 70s afternoon soap called ROOMS you can see they only had a small budget for the afternoon and so I suppose it all had to be made rather quickly and stopping the tape was probably frowned on, but the actors carry it off and make a charming series with simple but engaging dramas about the mundane aspects of living in a 70s bedsit.

Cole
625 lines

Post by Cole »

fatcat wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 9:40 am
I think you're right, but whether we have the calibre of actors now that can plough through vast pages of script without having a cut is perhaps another matter...
I seem to recall that an actor who was in Holby City (Peter Wingfield) went to work in America and the US actors couldn't believe that the actors in the UK would learn so much script in a given time.

I suspect that the more theatrical (ie. RSC, West End etc) thespians would still have that ability to learn long scripts.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

I agree about Studio Drama coming round again, and would love to see it happen, but are there any writers left, who can manage that style of TV?

You can't really tell from the soaps, which is the only example there is at the moment!
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"