ozsat
625 lines

Roy Barraclough (1935-2017)

Post by ozsat »

Brock
HD

Re: Roy Barraclough (1935-2017)

Post by Brock »

Also known for his long-standing partnership as Cissie to Les Dawson's Ada, of course. Although Ada was the overtly "comic" character I always felt that the Cissie character was rather better observed, and that Roy Barraclough's role in the duo was somewhat undervalued. He'll be sadly missed.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Well, at least Cissie and Ada are back together again and gossiping away.

Also, let's not forget Mr Cobbledick in "Pardon My Genie".

A sad loss.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Bob Richardson
625 lines

Post by Bob Richardson »

His "This Is Your Life" was reputedly one of the funniest every recorded. He'd said on many occasions that he never wanted to be featured, so when family and friends conspired to hatch a plot for Eamonn Andrews to snare him while dressed as an AA patrolman they should have had an inkling what his response might be. Roy had finished a recording block at Granada for Corrie and went off to his holiday home in Spain. He was contacted and told that one of the recordings was technically unusable and Granada agreed to fly him back for a two day re-shoot. His limo "broke down" between the airport and the studio and when the AA van turned up it was Andrews. I believe that Roy's initial response was "Fuck off".

Roy eventually agreed, VERY reluctantly, to go ahead with the recording, but didn't hold back when various guests appeared. "Who the hell is she?" "Why is he here - I don't even like him!" etc. Part of the story is told in Bill Podmore's book about the Street. The transmitted version was tame, compared with the raw footage.
"Forfar 5 - East Fife 4"