Earliest overseas filming for BBC/ITV shows.

What's not currently on the box
Mark
Committee

Earliest overseas filming for BBC/ITV shows.

Post by Mark »

I was wondering what the earliest overseas filming would have been?

I was thinking about the last few episodes of "Billy Bunter" in 61, which although not the earliest, was certainly interesting, with a minimal amount of filming done as BB and the others visit various locations, how they afforded it though on a Children's Budget!

There was also the "Dixon Of Dock Green" episode "The Hot Seat", with filming in Paris, from 1960, Peter Byrne's cine footage of the shoot has appeared on TPTV a couple of times.

I'm sure I should know what it would be for BBC and ITV, but it's escaping me for the moment, it was the "BB" episodes that got me wondering?
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

ArchiveTvfan43
625 lines

Re: Earliest overseas filming for BBC/ITV shows.

Post by ArchiveTvfan43 »

I would love to see the billy bunter 1961 episodes that had overseas filming, but alas they are lost. The whole 1956 series 3 exists as 35mm telerecordings but apparently they can't be released on dvd along with the other surviving episodes due to some very tricky rights issues

yellowtriumph
405 lines

Post by yellowtriumph »

Having recently watched the ‘Interpol Calling’ series on TPTV I was surprised at the amount of what appeared to be genuine overseas filmed inserts into some episodes. Most of the internals were studio sets of course. Would have been the late 50’s, and produced by Rank films for transmission on ITV in the UK. Does that count?

David Boothroyd
625 lines

Post by David Boothroyd »

I presumed most of the overseas footage put into 'Interpol Calling' was stock footage. Certainly the actors all appeared to be UK based.

yellowtriumph
405 lines

Post by yellowtriumph »

David Boothroyd wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:32 pm
I presumed most of the overseas footage put into 'Interpol Calling' was stock footage. Certainly the actors all appeared to be UK based.
Yes, I presumed that too, which is why I was looking out for the featured actors actually appearing in the 'foreign' footage - which they occasionally did much to my surprise. I note that it was UK/US co-production between the Rank Organisation and the Jack Wrather Organization so perhaps it had a generous budget in anticipation of lucrative future syndication? How to find out?

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Post by Simon Coward »

It can't beat Interpol Calling, but there was some genuine overseas filming (with actors) for Associated-Rediffusion's children's series Romano aka Romano the Peasant, which was broadcast in May and June 1960. The filming mostly took place in Cetara in southern Italy.
We all have to eat a peck of dirt before we die.

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

Thought Interpol Calling was an absolute hoot - loved it on TP.

IIRC Douglas Fairbanks Presents 1953-57 had at least a few with European filming.

No idea if these qualify as I have not seen them

The Flying Doctor ABC 1959

White Hunter ITC(p) 1958

Sailor of Fortune Elstree films/RKO 1956

yellowtriumph
405 lines

Post by yellowtriumph »

fatcat wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:51 pm
Thought Interpol Calling was an absolute hoot - loved it on TP.

IIRC Douglas Fairbanks Presents 1953-57 had at least a few with European filming.

No idea if these qualify as I have not seen them

The Flying Doctor ABC 1959

White Hunter ITC(p) 1958

Sailor of Fortune Elstree films/RKO 1956
I couldn't get enough of IC and was sorry to see it complete its run. For a running time of just 25 mins or so I thought they packed a lot into the plots with a surprising degree of unexpected sophistication.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

yellowtriumph wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:56 am
David Boothroyd wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:32 pm
Yes, I presumed that too, which is why I was looking out for the featured actors actually appearing in the 'foreign' footage - which they occasionally did much to my surprise. I note that it was UK/US co-production between the Rank Organisation and the Jack Wrather Organization so perhaps it had a generous budget in anticipation of lucrative future syndication? How to find out?
Certainly a good series, probably was a generous budget, caught some of them including the one with a villainous Alfred Burke, good stuff.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Simon Coward wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:42 pm
It can't beat Interpol Calling, but there was some genuine overseas filming (with actors) for Associated-Rediffusion's children's series Romano aka Romano the Peasant, which was broadcast in May and June 1960. The filming mostly took place in Cetara in southern Italy.
Children's again, although A-R seemed keen on overseas filming, with shows like "Riviera Police" in 65.

Interesting one that though, same year but slightly earlier than the BBC's "Dixon" episode.

Simon Coward
D-MAC

Post by Simon Coward »

Mark wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:44 am
Children's again, although A-R seemed keen on overseas filming, with shows like "Riviera Police" in 65.
Also both Crane and The Rat Catchers - especially the former - went abroad.
We all have to eat a peck of dirt before we die.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Simon Coward wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:14 pm
Mark wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:44 am
Also both Crane and The Rat Catchers - especially the former - went abroad.
Oh yes, of course, perhaps Rediffusion had more money to play with, can't think of anything ABC did overseas for instance.

Two more BBC shows that spring to mind are "Vendetta" and "The Troubleshooters".

One of "The Saint" two-parters ("Vendetta for The Saint") had overseas filming, probably because it would have two episodes budget.

Brian F
D-MAC

Post by Brian F »

Mark wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:56 am

One of "The Saint" two-parters ("Vendetta for The Saint") had overseas filming, probably because it would have two episodes budget.
Was that one that was made into a cinema film too?The could have attracted a larger budget if that was the original plan.

fatcat
D-MAC

Post by fatcat »

Mark wrote:

Oh yes, of course, perhaps Rediffusion had more money to play with, can't think of anything ABC did overseas for instance.

That is why I was wondering about ABC'S The Flying Doctor I had heard it was filmed in Australia with completion at Pinewood.

Also not forgetting ABC'S Journey of a Lifetime 1960.
also not sure about ITC's The Four Just Men1960 if it was studio based?

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Brian F wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:46 am
Mark wrote:

Was that one that was made into a cinema film too?The could have attracted a larger budget if that was the original plan.
Yes, probably was another factor in it, there was another two-parter ("The Fiction Makers") although the storyline was UK only.

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

fatcat wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:35 am
Mark wrote:

That is why I was wondering about ABC'S The Flying Doctor I had heard it was filmed in Australia with completion at Pinewood.

Also not forgetting ABC'S Journey of a Lifetime 1960.
also not sure about ITC's The Four Just Men1960 if it was studio based?
Looks like you are right with "The Flying Doctor", not only ABC, but earliest so far, with filming in 58, although minimal with just the star, it seems.

I noticed "Interpol Calling" supposedly had a budget of half a million,

AndrewP
625 lines

Post by AndrewP »

I believe that a number of BBC plays in the 1950s had overseas filming. "The Creature" certainly had location material shot in the Swiss Alps in January 1955 and I suspect there are other examples - certainly there was shooting in Paris for inserts into "Maigret and the Lost Life" in 1959.

All the best

Andrew

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Ah right..."The Creature", so quite early in the decade then, must have had a decent budget, the same for the other BBC plays, I'll try and see what else there was, thanks for the info.

Shame we can't see the "Maigret" though.

AndrewP
625 lines

Post by AndrewP »

Hello Mark :)

In haste...
Mark wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:58 am
Shame we can't see the "Maigret" though.
Some of the location footage shot for "... Lost Life" is actually reused in some of the episodes of the series that follows.

All the best

Andrew

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

Yes, thanks for that, it's something to look out for on the forthcoming release!