Lost Balls: When British comedy went golf mad

What's not currently on the box
Brock
HD

Lost Balls: When British comedy went golf mad

Post by Brock »

I always enjoy reading Graham McCann's fortnightly "Comedy Chronicles", and I'm grateful to members of this forum for drawing my attention to them. Here's the latest one:

https://www.comedy.co.uk/features/comed ... -golf-mad/

The introduction's a bit over the top maybe:
Graham McCann wrote:There used to be few things more frightening for television viewers than the sight of a comedian in a Pringle sweater. It meant that he was almost certainly about to talk about golf, tell jokes about golf, take part in a sketch about golf or introduce another Pringle-sweatered great mate who was equally mad about golf.
"Frightening"? Maybe it's just my age, but I assumed that's simply what comedians did at the time. I had very little knowledge of anything else previously!
Then came the books: Ronnie Corbett's Armchair Golf; Tarbuck on Golf; Bruce Forsyth's Golf ...Is It Only a Game? and Tim Brooke-Taylor's Golf Bag.
All spoofed wonderfully by Alan Coren's Golfing for Cats (which didn't mention golf, or cats, anywhere except on the cover and in the introduction).

Mark
Committee

Re: Lost Balls: When British comedy went golf mad

Post by Mark »

Doesn't sound like a Golf fan though.

I always enjoyed the various golf comedies, especially the "Sykes" episode and his silent comedy ( both film and TV versions), and even "The Nineteenth Hole".

What about the classic Marty Feldman sketch...

Is there a sport that comedy ( or even quiz shows) hasn't covered?
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Juswuh
D-MAC

Post by Juswuh »

Brock wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:03 pm
All spoofed wonderfully by Alan Coren's Golfing for Cats (which didn't mention golf, or cats, anywhere except on the cover and in the introduction).
Alan Coren said in an interview that he talked to someone in publishing and asked what made a book sell. He was told the most reliable sellers were sports, animals and the Third Reich. Hence the book's title and a swastika on the cover.

murphy1961
405 lines

Post by murphy1961 »

No, he [Graham McCann] doesn't like golf much does he? I'm not a golf fan myself, but it's probably something I would have enjoyed if I knew people - friends and family - that were into it, but I knew no-one that was interested. I had plenty of other hobbies and pastimes to keep me occupied. I do think that golf has always been popular in showbiz circles though, not just comedy. It seems like it was (and probably still is) the fashionable and trendy thing to do amongst showbiz-types.

I think he mentions in the article that one of the reasons for it's popularity is that people can play it well into middle-age. There's no running involved, injuries would be minimal - a stray ball perhaps or a twisted ankle when walking - and it's also one of the few sports you could play properly on your own. Basically play against yourself, trying to beat your last score, that kind of thing.

But as always, it was an interesting article.

Nigel Stapley
625 lines

Post by Nigel Stapley »

"Golf is the only sport where a white man can dress like a black pimp and not look bad"

(Robin Williams)

For myself, I used to love watching Around With Alliss and his Pro-Celebrity Golf (Wogan's then-record long putt, anyone?), and nowadays will watch those short highlight clips on YT from the latest tournament or complilations of odd or extraordinary moments. I almost wish I'd taken it up myself (if you'll pardon the expression). But all that 'Tarby' and 'Brucey' and 'Lynchy' chummy stuff used to get right up my nose (as Uncle Nasty used to say on the Grumbleweeds' radio show).

Brock
HD

Post by Brock »

Mark wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:48 am
Doesn't sound like a Golf fan though.
Seems to be more of a cricket fan, if his latest article is anything to go by:

https://www.comedy.co.uk/features/comed ... of-choice/