"Ace Of Wands" series 2 50th

What's not currently on the box
Mark
Committee

Re: "Ace Of Wands" series 2 50th

Post by Mark »

That Tellycon interview would have made a good extra on the DVD!

Just been looking at the "Eye Of Ra" poll results pages, Fred Owl has just put up, very nicely done, and then looked at the complete PDF, very nice, a couple of screenshots from the 18 second footage, and one or two pics I haven't seen before, where is that small B/W shot of JL and MM in the buggy from?

Interesting remarks about Ceribraun not actually harming anyone apart from the chess pieces fry attack, but it couldn't have been fatal of course, as Ceribraun didn't want to bump off the person he wanted to steal the Diamond.

Despite Ceribraun being a bit of a villain, there is a certain amount of sympathy for him, due to his motives, and his last line about building a better computer was rather nice.

With regards to the very end of the story in the vaults, after fake Packham reveals where the real Packham is, Tarot invokes his spell to 'Turn this Mortal into a frog', and Packham opens his mouth and croaks, hence the laughter from the others.
"A cup of Tea....Tea...Tea"

Fredowl
405 lines

Post by Fredowl »

Of course! That makes much more sense. I had wondered quite how they sold Sir John actually turning into a frog a la Mr Stabs, and of course, the answer is they didn't! I've updated the piece you mention accordingly. The photo you mention is from the 1989? Tellycon souvenir booklet, along with another couple of rare ones, courtesy of lovely Andrew Stocker who sent me the images. Paul V had mentioned to me that all the Tellycon AoW stuff exists, it sounds like it's a case of there being a list of people who would have to agree for him to put it, say, on YT. It would be great to see it, as you say. I'm sure there's lots of extra info in there!
And Big Finish is a consistent request from many! I'm sure I've seen somewhere a comment that they tried to get hold of the AoW rights ages ago, but it turned out that the rights situation was quite involved? Don't quote me on that, as I can't find my source for it now I come to look!

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

It certainly seems like photos were easier to come by back then.

Shame about Big finish, just as it was with Look-In, a comic strip in that would have been one of the most popular.

Ian K McL
405 lines

Post by Ian K McL »

I see that there are forthcoming Fan Annuals for Doctor Who and Robin of Sherwood. And there was one recently for Blake's 7. Would there be any interest in an Ace of Wands one do you think or would the rights be impossible to obtain?

Mark
Committee

Post by Mark »

I'm not sure rights were obtained for those Annuals, would have been too expensive, are they not 'Un-Authorised'..?
An "Ace Of Wands" annual would very nice.

Fredowl
405 lines

Post by Fredowl »

As Ace of Wands aficionados will know, no photos are currently known to exist for The Eye of Ra, which is particularly frustrating in the case of knowing what the villain Ceribraun looked like! Played by Oscar Quitak, he moved about in a motorised wheelchair, with a computer console mounted across the arms. It seems certain there was a microphone on that console into which he could issue instructions to his computer. Some reports have him with a moustache or goatee or glasses, others without. Costume seems to have been a black "wetsuit type" tunic with a collar. A few memories suggest he wore a skullcap, possibly with wires attached? Is there anyone out there who has any memories of his appearance, or any opinions one way or the other on the above?

Richard Woods
405 lines

Post by Richard Woods »

Sadly that’s one serial I can’t really remember much about at all. Sorry.
don’t bite the hand of the dog that feeds you.

Richard Woods
405 lines

Post by Richard Woods »

Sadly that’s one story I can’t really remember much about at all. Sorry.
don’t bite the hand of the dog that feeds you.