August 1914.

What's not currently on the box
JWG
D-MAC

August 1914.

Post by JWG »

'Cider with Rosie' is being issued on DVD later in the year as part of a series of mainly children's shows.If this is the original 'Cider' it'll be the first time it's come out on DVD.
Released on September 1st,it'll just miss the centenary of the outbreak of hostilities.
So-bit late now-what else would you like to have seen issued? How was the fiftieth anniversary handled on TV?

Alice80
405 lines

Re: August 1914.

Post by Alice80 »

Not sure about generally, but wasn't The Great War (which my dad liked to call The Great Bore...but we still watched the repeats) screened by the BBC in 1964, so that would have made it a 50th anniversary...

ctraynor
D-MAC

Post by ctraynor »

37 Days was well done, as one or two of us mentioned on another thread, but I haven't yet caught the German WW1 three-part drama which just finished.

ian b
D-MAC

Post by ian b »

ctraynor wrote:...but I haven't yet caught the German WW1 three-part drama which just finished.
GENERATION WAR: OUR MOTHERS, OUR FATHERS? That was set in WWII.

ctraynor
D-MAC

Post by ctraynor »

Of course it was. I'm getting my world disasters mixed up. What with the 70th anniversary of D-Day coming up and all.

JWG
D-MAC

Post by JWG »

Apart from the War Poets,I doubt if most people could name many combatants of WWI.The Americans have got Sergeant York,portrayed by Gary Cooper in the film.
They're a bit hammy,but in terms of the after-affects of the war,I like the first few episodes of 'When the boat Comes In'.Remember Jack Fords anecdote about his officer's last words?
For the title alone,I wish that 'The Moon Shines Bright on Charlie Chaplin' survived.though I'm pretty sure that I didn't like it at the time.